BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  General Biodiesel Discussion    methanol transfer from biodiesel to waste oil
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

methanol transfer from biodiesel to waste oil
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
free glycerin D6584 0.020%
total glycerin D6584 0.024%.

Bound glycerin is what is considered in-process biodiesel;

Location: Bioville Ohio | Registered: June 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was thinking to do small experiment.
Methanol from unwashed biodiesel can be removed using petrol.
Petrol mainly consists of octanes and hexanes- all non polar solvents. Hexane and octane will create separation layer with methanol at some biodiesel/petrol w/w.
Therefore it might be another drywash method to remove polar contaminants, such as methanol, soap, catalyst leftovers, glycerine.
Im on holiday now and can not test it.would be nice to hear your opinion on this experiment.
I would go from 5% petrol /biodiesel blend w/w to see when it will separate methanol from biodiesel.
many thanks.
Roland

posted Hide Post
There's a useful general principle in chemistry where "like dissolves like" relative to polarity of solids and liquids. The light fraction of petroleum, literally it weighs less by volume, is hydrocarbons. Hydrocarbons are considered non-polar molecules. The petroleum distillates in petrol (gasoline) are also non-polar hydrocarbon molecules. Methanol alcohol is a hydroxide group bonded to a carbon atom with three hydrogen atoms also bonded to the carbon atom. A result is methanol is a polar molecule, it also participates in hydrogen bonding. Where like dissolves like, methanol is not like hydrocarbons relative to polarity. So methanol is not very miscible (soluble) in pure hydrocarbons. Pour lighter fluid into a jar with methanol and you will see, pure methanol doesn't dissovle much in lighter fluid. But methanol dissolves in biodiesel, and kerosene (hydrocarbon) is miscible (dissolves) to a degree in biodiesel.

Location: Texas | Registered: April 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi WesleyB

quote:
Originally posted by WesleyB:
...and kerosene (hydrocarbon) is miscible (dissolves) to a degree in biodiesel.
I thought kerosene and biodiesel were miscible in all proportions.
I'll have to do a test later to check that out.

Location: ลึก ประเทศอินเดีย | Registered: March 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes Tilly I think you're right. It's like "A" dissolves in "B" but "A" does not dissolve in "C" . But "B" dissolves in "C". So "A", "B" and "C" dissolve into a solution in some proportions. But Hydrocarbons still won't be miscible with methanol. Something like that.

Location: Texas | Registered: April 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
methanol is immiscible with hexane and very little with octane- main components of petrol.
therefore these solvent should separate methanol from biodiesel.