BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  General Biodiesel Discussion    Burning BD in Lamp

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Burning BD in Lamp
 Login/Join

posted
I came up with a wick lamp that works fairly well on BD I have a question about what happens to the oil as it burns.

Starting with nice clean BD about the color of corn oil, I naturally keep adding fuel as it burns but eventually the fuel in the lamp get as black as tar.

I ran across a lamp sold by the company in Utah and their demo video shows no such darkening. The lamp is nothing special and looks pretty much like the alcohol lamp that came with chemistry sets in the 50's.

It also turns out that I can burn the original corn oil in my lamp and the oil does not get darker like the BD.

Can someone tell me what I am seeing and what I should expect to see?

Thanks,

Jack

Location: Illinois | Registered: September 12, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
How about a link to where you got the lamp? The black residue could be glycerine falling out as the BD climbs the wick.

** Biodiesel Glycerine Soap - The Guide
- on 5 continents helping people make & sell soap from the Biodiesel Glycerine.

Location: :-) Great White North eh ? | Registered: December 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Legal Eagle:
How about a link to where you got the lamp? The black residue could be glycerine falling out as the BD climbs the wick.

The lamp is just the bent wire thing I have seen on several web sites intended for veg oil lamps.

It works because the wire holds the wick within a 1/4 inch of the surface of the oil so wicking is not much of an issue. I see the same darkening if I just hang a wick over the edge of a small bowl of BD after burning a few hours.

If it is glycerine falling out.... why doesn't it fall out of the raw oil when burned?

On a different subject.... can you make liquid soap from glycerine?

I make it from the same oil that I make the BD from and get about 4 liters of soap from a liter of used oil. It's great soap for everything but the dishwasher... too much lather.

Jack

Location: Illinois | Registered: September 12, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
can you make liquid soap from glycerine?

The glycerine by-product from making biodiesel is excellent liquid soap 'as-is' after the residual methanol is removed. I use it with no need for further processing other than adding a bit of water to get the consistency I want for specific applications. It's the best cleaner for bathroom fixtures, and the very best dog-shampoo.

Discussions on this forum about the many uses of biodiesel glycerine:

http://biodiesel.infopop.cc/ev...ms/a/frm/f/739605551
http://biodiesel.infopop.cc/ev...ms/a/frm/f/610109192

Location: coldest N.America | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post