BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  General Biodiesel Discussion    BIodiesel harm the rubber hose and filter

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

BIodiesel harm the rubber hose and filter
 Login/Join

posted
Hello all, I am new to this forum and also in considering biodiesel as I have used
only the traditional fuel till now. But, on a friend's recommendation, I am thinking of
going for biofuel and was researching the subject a bit. And I found certain sites listing a few cons for the alternative fuel, with harming the car's rubber hose being
one of them. Now my car has a rubber hose, so do I have to replace it with a synthetic
one before I can go for the biofuel? It also says that the dirt cleaned by the fuel then
clogs the filter, although other sites are contradicting this. So, would I have to make
any alterations to my car before I can switch to this alternative? Thanks in advance for
any reply.

posted Hide Post
Hi robb val, welcome to the forum.
Contrary to popular mis-information, no car has ever been built with natural rubber fuel hose factory installed. Petroleum products attack natural rubber too.

You will have some type of synthetic rubber fuel line which may or may not be affected by biodiesel.
I would just wait and see what happens.

Location: ลึก ประเทศอินเดีย | Registered: March 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If using biofuel causes any of the fuel hoses to go soft then replace them with Gates Barricade brand biofuel resistant hose available from NAPA.

Location: coldest N.America | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Any hose in contact with fuel will need to be bio compatible. You can also look for fuel lines or hoses made of Viton, as it is bio compatible.

Don't forget that if you are using bio, you may have problems with O rings and seals as well. The example that bit me pretty good was in an F250 with dual tanks. The tank change over valve did not have bio compatible o rings.

If you need to rebuild a CP3 pump, make sure they use viton seals as well.

Using bio for 9 years with great results. Welcone to the club!

Duramax Driver
03 duramax
06 Lib CRD

Location: Maryland | Registered: May 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you so much for all the replies guys Smile Great help. Yeah, Its better to have a clearer idea about the hose.. and thanks for the reminder duramax driver. I have been warned about the O rings and the seals as well. Let's see how my car takes it and hope to post about my good experience soon.

posted Hide Post
If you want to significantly reduce the possibility of damaging seals, o-rings, gaskets, hoses, etc. then limit the fuel mix to B50. The cost of petro diesel is so low that the risk of expensive repairs more likely with B100 isn't worth it.

Location: coldest N.America | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post