BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Diesel vehicles and other diesel equipment  Hop To Forums  Dodge Cummins    Anyone running bio in 2015 or later dodge trucks?

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone running bio in 2015 or later dodge trucks?
 Login/Join

posted
I kinda miss running and making bd since my 05 Cummings oil pump took a crap and ruined my engine.

long term goal is to be totaly energy independent one day. Solar,wind and B100 of course!

Location: S.E. Texas | Registered: June 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've run various blends in my 2011, with the same 6.7 diesel they've been using for about ten years now. (Mine is pre-DEF, though, for whatever difference that makes -- I think DPF is still more of a concern than DEF.) Lately the combination of low diesel prices and little free time has kept me from making any homebrew biodiesel, but I still fill up at a B99/B100 pump when I happen to be near one. Never had any fuel-related issues, and I stick to a 15k-mile fuel filter change without any problems.

Cheers, John

posted Hide Post
What octane level?

posted Hide Post
Hi Tony,
Welcome to the forum!

quote:
Originally posted by Tony Lane:
What octane level?
I have read that diesel fuel typically has an octane rating of between 8-15. My guess is that biodiesel would be closer to the 8 than the 15.

However, octane rating of diesel is not part of the ASTM requirement for diesel fuel. It is the Cetane number that is of concern with diesel fuels.
In the cetane number scale, high values represent fuels that ignite readily and, therefore, perform better in a diesel engine.

"Cetane number (or CN) is an inverse function of a fuel's ignition delay, and the time period between the start of injection and the first identifiable pressure increase during combustion of the fuel.
In a particular diesel engine, higher cetane fuels will have shorter ignition delay periods than lower Cetane fuels. Cetane numbers are only used for the relatively light distillate diesel oils. For heavy (residual) fuel oil two other scales are used, CCAI and CII."

The minimum Cetane number for diesel fuel in the USA is 40 which is low compared to most other countries

ADDN
Depending on the oil the biodiesel is made from, biodiesel will typically have a considerably higher cetane number than 40

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Tilly,

Location: ลึก ประเทศอินเดีย | Registered: March 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post