BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Diesel vehicles and other diesel equipment  Hop To Forums  Dodge Cummins    Best Conversion Kit for 12 Valve Cummins

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best Conversion Kit for 12 Valve Cummins
 Login/Join

posted
I'm looking into buying a 12 Valve '98 3500 and putting a SVO conversion on it. I've never done one before and as I was doing some research I came across this page http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_svo.html#1tank which seems to be reliable information. Any confirmation on that? Any way they say the only conversion kits they recommend are the single tank professional systems from Germany, in order to make sure your not cause engine damage, which is apparently possible with the dual tank systems and especially with dual tank system with a Direct Injection Engine like the Cummins. So on following up with their advice I checked out the 3 German Companies they recommended:

Elsbett Technologie, who have more than 30 years at the forefront of using vegetable oil fuel in diesel engines.

VWP, Vereinigte Werkstätten für Pflanzenöltechnologie ("combined workshops for vegetable oil technology"), founded about 12 years ago by former Elsbett employees.

WOLF Pflanzenöltechnik (WOLF vegetable oil technology) have been providing advanced single-tank SVO systems since the mid-90s.

Of which only Elsbett Technologie www.elsbett.com had a conversion kit for Dodge Pickups. This company makes both single and dual tank systems, but the one for Dodge is a dual tank system. This seems controdictory to the advice of not to using dual tank systems on DI engines. I haven't called the company because they only have a German phone number, but has anyone here ever tried this kit? It has a price tag of 3.042,00 $, which I'm not sure of the currency.

Does anyone know of a single tank conversion for Cummins?

What is the best kit for 12V Cummins?

Thank you very much in advance.

posted Hide Post
Journeytoforever has lots of incorrect info spread throughout their website. 2 tank kits are generally much better for Cummins than single tank, and they have the big advantage of working in cold <30F temps. I like www.Frybrid.com kits.

YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary, see www.burnveg.com/forum
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4
Zero fossil house- 100% solar power and heat.

Location: N. Colorado | Registered: August 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I see, then what is the most reliable website for svo info?

posted Hide Post
you're on it.

I want to get off grid!

1996 Ram 2500 converted March 2008- 2 tank homemade system. 205k miles 25k miles on veg so far.

Location: Tahlequah, OK | Registered: May 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree you are at the most reliable place on the web for all things vegetable oil.
A lot of the other forums are sponsored by the people who make the conversion kits and, well you can imagine where they direct most of their comments.

This, biodiesel infopop forum, is the most unbiased, reliable source of information that I have found.

And by the way, most of the guys on the forum recommend running 2 tanks on most all diesels. Espically in cold weather

2002 Ford Excursion 7.3. Heavily modified GFS Conversion w/ Fass Fuel Pump and VO Controller. 70k miles and going up.
1995 Dodge Cummins W/ Custom 2-Tank Setup and 60 K miles on veg oil. (sold)
1984 300D-Daily Driver No Mods single tank and 25 K miles on veg. (sold)

Location: Knoxville,TN | Registered: October 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm an Elsbett installer. The OP summed it up well. [BTW, single tanks ARE better than dual tanks. Mine is great, and they predominate Elsbetts' sales. Odd that so many people have such negative opinions on single tanks.]

Elsbett does not make single tank kits for every vehicle. It requires a lot of special engineering that isn't justified for low volume vehicles.

The dual tank Elsbett kit is a little different from typical setups. It uses a push fuel pump, not valves to select fuels. It also does not heat the fuel tank. This avoids the "chicken skin" SVO polymerization effect now being discovered by many Greasecar and Frybrid, etc. conversion kit owners.

Elsbett has been making SVO kits for over 20 years. Everybody else is still catching up.

1-tank Elsbett VW TDI , 220,000 WVO miles.
http://ctbiodzl.freeshell.org/votdi.html
and a '92 F-250 with only a FPHE

Location: Ct,USA | Registered: November 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
[BTW, single tanks ARE better than dual tanks. Mine is great, and they predominate Elsbetts' sales. Odd that so many people have such negative opinions on single tanks.]

Many critics of the single tank style conversion are concerned about slowly coking their vehicles from cold starts.

Tampa Florida & Johannesburg SA aren't like Anchorage Alaska Churchill Manitoba.

Starting up a 600 LB block of cast iron at -20 may not be too healthy when running on a single tank system. Until someone makes a NHTSA/Transport Canada compliant veggie fired engine pre-heater that has UL/CSA approval, 2 tank systems are safer long term than 1 tank systems.

posted Hide Post
quote:
The dual tank Elsbett kit is a little different from typical setups. It uses a push fuel pump, not valves to select fuels.

This sounds like a Veggiestroke style conversion. Two tanks, two pumps, two fuel filters, pressurised lines instead of vacuum lines.

posted Hide Post
quote:
This sounds like a Veggiestroke style conversion.

Yes, but Elsbett preceded the Veggie stroke kit.

" 2 tank systems are safer long term than 1 tank systems."

I don't recommend single tanks for Canada or Alsaka. You'd have to run a very low percetage of SVO, maybe avg. 20-30% SVO annualy.

Outside those places, I have heard not heard of a single Els. s-t failure ( 3 total ) that wasn't attributed to operator error. Can't say that about dual tank kits. "Chicken skin" is only one of the d-t flaws now becoming apparant to N.A. SVO'ers.

Els s-t have modified injectors to ensure complete combustion. My cyl. head was off after 82,000 SVO miles. The mechanic thought it was in better condition than an equivalent diesel fueled engine.

Location: Ct,USA | Registered: November 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
This sounds like a Veggiestroke style conversion.

Yes, but Elsbett preceded the Veggie stroke kit.

I can't argue with that. I kinda figured you'd say that anyway.

I respect Elsbett as a great pioneer in the SVO field.

Any idea how long Elsbett has been making 2 tank systems based on that design?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by welder
Any idea how long Elsbett has been making 2 tank systems based on that design?

Hi welder,

I poked around the Els. site this AM, but I can't relocate the d-t system pictures I found many years ago. But they did have the same system they sell today in 2003. It also had an unconventional FPHE ( by 2003 infopop std's ). :-)

posted Hide Post
SunWizard has the best system! See his BurnVeg forum

1995 Ram 2500, 12V Cummins, stock and slowly building to a road warrior...

Location: high Colorado | Registered: February 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post