Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cummins 4bt in a jeep
 Login/Join

posted
I am looking at rebuilding an old wrangler and I want to put a diesel in it for the purpose of running biodiesel. The Cummins 4bt seems to be the engine of choice for most jeep guys that put diesels in their jeeps. Anyone have any experience with these engines using biodiesel?

Location: Florida | Registered: December 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The 4BT is mechanically nearly just a 6BT with 2 cylinders loped off. So there are LOTS with 6BT experience, and the 6BT loves biodiesel. I've had no issues beyond clogging a few filters (my fault 2 of 3 times) in my 12 valve 1995 6BT.

I'm part way through my swap of a 4BT into my 1980 Bronco. I've only run it on regular diesel so far but expect no issues swapping over to biodiesel once I wrap up the install, hopefully this winter. I want to drive it before the crops are planted again spring 2012!

Location: Southern WI, USA | Registered: May 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info. Sorry it's been a while since Ive been on.

What kind of fuel milage does the 4BT get?

Location: Florida | Registered: December 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In a light Jeep, probably 25-28. In a light enough vehicle, and 2wd, a few people have pushed them a bit over 30mpg.

With the way my Bronco is geared, I'll be shocked if I get to the mid-20's. But even if its only 20-21mpg, that's pretty darn good for a 5500lb truck on 37's! And a far bit better than the 16-17mpg I was getting with the gas I6. And more torque, too!

Location: Southern WI, USA | Registered: May 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey man,

I put a 4bt in my jeep and I run it on b100 since it was rebuilt. No issues with the fuel at all. I can't give any mileage figures since I don't have a speedo hooked up, but the set up I have is great for me. Literally tons of power and it sips the fuel. Nice change from the old v8 it used to have. I run 38.5" tires on all 1 ton axles and running gear so it isn't light either.

Whooa...Nelly

posted Hide Post
Which vehicles came with the 4bt engine in them?

Location: Iowa | Registered: April 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by The Quiet Dan:
Which vehicles came with the 4bt engine in them?
Ford Step-Van delivery trucks.

Location: coldest N.America | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post