BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Diesel vehicles and other diesel equipment  Hop To Forums  Dodge Cummins    95 2500 great, but cuts out at idle when a.c. is on

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

95 2500 great, but cuts out at idle when a.c. is on
 Login/Join

posted
HI. My 95 2500 ram has treated me well on wvo for 16 months and a move across country and full-time usage as a farm truck, but a few months ago it started loping at idle (in drive) when the a.c. was on. It was intermittent and only happened on veg, never on diesel.
Recently, it has progressed. It happens so badly that the truck dies and it now happens on both fuels. If I quickly shift to park, there is absolutely no problem at all. If I leave it in Drive, yet turn off the a.c., no problem at all......yet, if I idle in Drive with the a.c. on, Rambow dies.
No regular mechanics have heard of this or have any ideas, so I am wondering if it is wvo related (weakened i.p.?)
I know that it is not air related at all so we can bypass that possibility. I plumbed the truck so that vacuum is not created and again, its only an issue when the a.c. is on. That would not be the case if it was an air incursion.

thanks

posted Hide Post
It is wearing and needs a idle adjustment. It is on the back of the injection pump, there is a bolt with a screw on the inside. Loosen the bolt then turn it a little then see what happen with the A/C on. Then with the A/C on and the brake pressed. Just do small little turns and then try it. Turn it so the the idle is at 750 with foot on the brake in gear with the A/C on. It really was rather easy.

Robert
In Fort Lauderdale running a 2006 Jeep Liberty CRD 2 veg tanks HOH 2 upgraded greasecar vavles 3/8 fuel line 5/8 heater line HOH Hose wrapped filter. Injector Line heater on the Common Rail. 2nd car 2005 Mercedes CDI, Raw Power fuel pump, 36 gallon veg tank in trunk coolant heated HOH, rubber hose wrapped fuel filter, FPHE, 3 greasecar valves, Common rail line heater.

Location: Ft Lauderdale, FL | Registered: June 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I also had to up the idle to the factory recommended 700/750 rpm in gear, ac on, foot on brake back when we first started getting the new thinner Ultra-Low sulphur diesel. My 300,000 + mile worn 92 Cummins engine began stalling at idle in the same way (Bosh VE rotary IP), also had trouble starting it on the thinner diesel when it was hot and in hot weather, runs fine once started.

Thicker fuel should not be the problem, it is actually the fix I use all the time now, my summertime cold start fuel is a 50% blend of veg, less as the temps drop. I sometimes even have to switch to my 90% heated (but not yet hot when starting) veg tank for first start up on a really hot day. Sometimes even have to resort to a shot of ether for starting hot if the engine has been run hot and shut down for just a short time on a really hot day. Eventually I will get around to rebuilding the IP, or not, the truck is rusting/falling apart around the engine so likely won't bother.

Why you had the problem first on veg I don't know, would not have expected this. Only thing I can think of may be some sort of fuel supply problem at low rpm (stock diaphragm lift pump check valve leak, this happened to mine), or possibly even a small air leak, can't say without knowing more about the conversion plumbing and setup.

Location: fisher,illinois,usa | Registered: June 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post