BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Diesel vehicles and other diesel equipment  Hop To Forums  Dodge Cummins    01 5.9 Hammered out injector pump.

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

01 5.9 Hammered out injector pump.
 Login/Join

posted
After 60k km's (36k miles) my injector pump hatched on me and the supplier is no help.

I am into year 3 or 4 of using my own bio, have run B100 for a couple of months once and the rest of the time I run B25 - B30. From OCt to April- May I run nothing becasue its too cold up here for it. So I'm running bio is small amounts for about 6 months of the yeasr. Truck runs super when I run a blend.

A couple of months ago my truck started hard starting. I has it re-flashed ( cheap first choice) and no noteable difference.

Finally the other day I was driving home and the injector pump failed right there on the road. I was accelerating and boof..... nothing.

My mechanic ( who I use becasue he likes working on new ideas and performance machine) send the pump to the supplier who has since took it apart before they tested it and said that it was hammered out on the inside and scratched up like there was no lubrication.

When asked about bio they said the tolerances are too tight in these injector pumps and the bio breaks down under pressure which results in the pump being dry. I think they are full of crap.

Even if the bio did not withstand the pressure, the ULSD is still there which is what the pump is designed for anyway.

They asked my mechanic if I was running good fuel. He said I think so ( he's pretty shrewd)

They also said that the pump was missing a couple of washers and asked if my mechanic took it apart to look at it. My Mechanic said no and they said it would have never passed their test bench. Because it lasted 60k km's they think nothing is wrong.

My mechanic thought other wise and laid into them.

Not sure where its going to go, but long story short I need a new injector pump and am wondering if it was bio that caused the problems?

What do you guys think?

Location: LaCrete, Alberta, Canada | Registered: March 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Biodiesel didn't cause the problem...
1998.5 to 2002 dodge diesels used a VP44 injection pump which just downright sucks.

It's a really really common problem that these injection pumps give out due to overheating and/or lack of lubrication. The main cause? lack of fuel pressure.

If you don't want this to happen again, I really strongly reccomend getting a fuel pressure gauge, and make sure you never go below 10 psi of pressure. Also, the stock lift pump is known to be weak which causes the injection pump to go bad. If you can afford it, get a FASS fuel pump. then your issue will be as solved as you can get it, but even then sometimes the VP44 will go bad with good fuel pressure.
Also, Don't run your truck low on fuel. I found on mine as soon as the "low fuel light" comes on, you can starve the pump for fuel if going up/down a steep hill. You can destroy a VP44 injection pump in seconds if you don't have good fuel pressure, so DON"T run it near the empty line.

Biodiesel shouldn't hurt the pump, but I did have mine leak, likely because of biodiesel, but it depends on what kind of material the seals are made of.

good luck!

1986 vw jetta 2 tank SVO conversion
1992 vw golf 2 tank SVO conversion
1998 2500 12 valve Cummins diesel with 2 tank SVO conversion
Making biodiesel in the back yard and running WVO in the vehicles with 2 tanks

Location: Burk's Falls, Ontario, Canada | Registered: July 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good advice

A few years back my lift pump went so I put the update pump in the tank. I also installed an inline pump that boosted my fuel pressure to 16psi on load and 20 psi at idle.

I wonder if that pump isn't doing its job?

I like the fuel pressure guage idea.

Thanks.

Location: LaCrete, Alberta, Canada | Registered: March 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post