BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Diesel vehicles and other diesel equipment  Hop To Forums  Dodge Cummins    Dodge 24V WVO setup (Waste Veggie Oil)
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dodge 24V WVO setup (Waste Veggie Oil)
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Kana:
quote:
The best thing to do is pull the regulator spring out and stretch it out a little bit for more pressure. Then install a pressure regulator after the pump. You can get the regulator for about $15. I can get you part numbers if you need them from summit.

Cleaning the oil is key to making bio first. Then titration. Don't rely on a single titration. Run three and average them. That way you don't ruin a batch and waste methanol and lye.

Hi Pat,

Those numbers part numbers would be great!

I've read in a few places to find a place & run some commercial bio in your vehicle to make sure it is compatible with ones vehicle. Bio should run in my stock set up right?

Great tip on titration, thanks.
Dave

Yep biodiesel will run no problem. It's just the WVO that the VP44 doesn't like so much.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Yep biodiesel will run no problem. It's just the WVO that the VP44 doesn't like so much.

100% Bio?

98 Dodge 24V 5.9 Turbo
Kubota small farm tractor
Heating house with a Wood Doctor outdoor woodburning furnace

Location: Leavittsburg, Ohio | Registered: March 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi folks,

With regards to the blend-mixing question posted higher up in this thread, here are my 2 cents (repeating myself from other threads):
Mix 1 part well-filtered WVO with 2 parts diesel. I have continued running my VP-44 on this mix all summer long. No issues arising. One observation: In the morning, after a night of temperatures below 15 deg. C, the engine surges and smokes under load for a few seconds. In more detail: I start the engine, let it idle briefly, put the truck in reverse and pull out of my parking stall. That little bit of loading causes surging and black smoke. It might be an issue with fuel metering/timing??? No codes involved. Surging stops with in seconds of running down the road at RPMs higher than 1000. This is clearly a warm-up issue. After warming up the engine starts and runs normally.

I am seriously thinking about converting to a P7100 IP. It's just very expensive to do. That kind of money buys a lot of diesel....probably not worth the investment.

posted Hide Post
Are you circulating hot water with a extra pump? If yes is it anought?

posted Hide Post
1999 24v
Through a lot of work I have found that the error code P0216 occurs while on WVO not due to heat or viscosity---If the WVO is not filtered to atleast 2 microns the rotor in the IP pump hangs up on the particules and throws the P0216 code.
I know three people personally that converted their 24v and put many thousands of miles on their trucks with no problems. I finally decided to convert mine and kept getting the p0216 error code . After spending a tremendous amount of money and time converting my 1999 24v I almost gave up, when it finally became clear that the problem was the particles over 2 microns. I had a very expensive 5 micron filter on my system and it was not good enough. When I finally put a 2 micron filter on my system it started working fine and has worked great ever sense.
I love my 24v on WVO and am glad I converted it.

Location: Idaho | Registered: December 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
ebrand,

can you direct me to the type of 2micron filter setup you purchased? i have a processor and will begin making my own bio soon. i want to learn from others mistakes and have mine go smoothly as possible.

posted Hide Post
Mallory pump running hot - Running warm does not seem to actually cause problems but if you add a bit of resistance in the plus lead of the pump the motor will run much cooler. I run a 4010 Mallory pump as my cold blends/heated veg pump for the last several years with as much as 1.5 ohms between the pump and the +12 volts, also used 1.0 ohms and .5 ohms, all work fine. the 1.5 ohms puts about 9 volts on the pump directly and it starts and runs fine even with very thick cold winter oil blends. Use a 50 watt aluminum bodies resistor and you can mount it on something that needs a bit of heat added to it.

I assume you removed the very fine screen that is poked deep down inside the pumps inlet fitting, I find this screen is far too fine to flow even warm veg well.

Good info concerning the 2 micron limit for the VP44 pump.

Links to running discussion concerning fuel and mods used on my 92 Dodge first gen Cummins.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
92 dodge cummins with over 260,000 miles. Running an unheated 50% diesel/50% WVO blend for about the last 75,000 miles when temps above 50 deg f, no modifications or heating except the addition of a throw-away in-line fuel filter (removed during cold weather).
As of 8-01-05 I have been testing a 75% WVO/15% gasahol (90% RUG/10% ethanol)/10% diesel blend. Works fine down to about 65 f then starts rough. Runs ok once engine warms up. Back to a 50/50 diesel blend sence 9-15-05, just to cool now. -- 11-01-05 Modified stock fuel tank internal fuel pickup to have I.D. of 3/8 inch, this eliminated cold start slow idle and bogg on acceleration. Now adding 1 ounce each of acetone and pure gum spirits of turpentine to each 5 gallons of any blend, seems to help keep the fats in solution to a lower temperature --Heated 2nd tank fuel system installed january 2010, now running on a heated blend of 90% veg/5% diesel/5% RUG (no acetone or turpentine, heat replaced these).

Location: fisher,illinois,usa | Registered: June 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2 micron filter setup for WVO
I use the BIO TEK--- Hydroglass 2 micron filter. I get them from jmesales.com for about $15.00 a piece. The head that they mount on is about $12.00. This is the best and least expensive set up I have found. I run two of these togather for a two bank filter set up on my WVO, as it comes out of the tank and heads to the injector pump. On each of the filtering canisters I have a copper heating coil that uses the radiater fluid to keep them nice and toasty.
Again once I went to 2 micron filters all of my vp44 error codes went away and everything works perfectly. I run pretty steady at 160 degerees farrenheight

Location: Idaho | Registered: December 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Glad to find posts regarding the 24v Cummins. I am about to start my first 24v conversion, and I've done a dozen conversions over the years including GM's 6.5 which has a similar, rotary pump which is a delicate pump. The most valuable component of any conversion to me is a pressure/vacuum pump prior to the injection pump, so I ordered the VO Controller and the optional pressure transducer which will warn the driver of low fuel pressure and switch back to diesel (user customizable setpoints).
I also ordered the Raptor 150 from Greasecar which comes with their wiring harness to control both lift pumps (stock diesel and Raptor), and Greasecar valves. The Greasecar computer is far less advanced or I would have ordered their whole kit.

So, I am looking for the basic info on where to tie into the fuel system and water system and Greasecar will not sell their conversion manual separately. Any advice on what people have learned about the optimal conversion of this engine would be much appreciated. I looked up the Cim-Tek Microglass filters and will use the 2 micron elements for this truck, just to be extra nice to the IP.

02 Jetta with Greasecar copilot kit (simplest conversion ever!)
94 Chevy Truck and 95 Suburban 6.5 on SVO with standard 2 valve conversions:
Hot Rod heated fuel pickup, HOH, engine coolant heat exchanger, Raptor 100 veg pump, coolant heated fuel filter, VegTherm Mega, greasecar 3-port valves with looped return.
'91 Benz 350 with Greasecar kit plus vegtherm and vegoil pump"
"87 Benz 300TD with Greasecar kit"

Location: Montana | Registered: March 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I updated my signature to reflect my evolution to the Raptor pump (the only pump I'll use on a veg system). I would really appreciate fuel and water tie-in location beta for the 24 valve Cummins. Greasecar has an installation manual and CD with photos of the install, but they won't sell it separately and I don't want their whole kit for that engine b/c their VO Controller lacks fuel pressure capability and return valve delay capability, hence the VO Controller from vocontrol.com.

Hot Rod heated fuel pickup, HOH, engine coolant heat exchanger, Raptor 100 veg pump, coolant heated fuel filter, VegTherm Mega, greasecar 3-port valves with looped return.

posted Hide Post
I sent a copy of a 03-07 Cummings install manual to your email

Ed

1987 MB 300D Turbo
Summer Blend - WVO w/10%ULSD,5% RUG, splash of acetone and gum turp. Afterglow mod,EGR delete, gutted cat.
1999 MB E300 TD - My own 2 tank system. EGR delete

Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: August 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sweet manual. I neglected to say the Cummins is a 1999 24 valve.
Thanks, Paul

posted Hide Post
Sorry, that's the only one I have.

Ed

1987 MB 300D Turbo
Summer Blend - WVO w/10%ULSD,5% RUG, splash of acetone and gum turp. Afterglow mod,EGR delete, gutted cat.
1999 MB E300 TD - My own 2 tank system. EGR delete

Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: August 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post