BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Environment  Hop To Forums  General Environmental Discussion    Hypocrites- It's not just about the environment. Fergie's Hummer.
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hypocrites- It's not just about the environment. Fergie's Hummer.
 Login/Join

posted
Quote from E-Bay add:

After performing at Live Earth and realizing everyone has a role to play in protecting the environment, Fergie decided to sell her HUMMER and donate all the proceeds to Global Green USA.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270161208439

I find this appalling. Why not just destroy the thing and show your real conviction.

Location: Central Texas | Registered: May 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That would be triple wasteful.
1) All the energy already used to produce the thing.
2) Then use more energy to destroy it.
3) Then use MORE energy to rebuilt something with the scrap materials.

The sum of those probably exceeds the energy usage of the vehicle over its lifetime by 10x (just my opinion).

Location: Southern WI, USA | Registered: May 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am sure your correct and of course I'm just kidding when I suggested it. I just find many of the environmentalists a bit hypercritical in there actions.

Location: Central Texas | Registered: May 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know this is a stale forum, but I believe the energy used to produce a vehicle is small relative to the energy it uses over it's life. Although it's wasteful to build and destroy things unnecessarily, ridding the world of inefficient vehicles would pay carbon-reducing dividends.

Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: November 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like to recycle old Mercedes.

They have already been built and used. I can reuse them like I reuse Veg oil for my BD!

Bob

Location: Western NY | Registered: September 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
buttaface

2010 Sponsor
posted Hide Post
The Govenator, that's my own home State's mistake thank you, runs a HH2D on veggie oil; bought from the super market. Thanks, thanks Arnie, for depriving the food banks of more cooking oil and driving up the cost to feed the homeless, the Govenator, always thinking (about his own heinie).

Save your oil - Fuel the planet
Dodge TD 50 2.3L '85 4D55 block; 4D56 head; HP injectors
4D56 2.5L water cooled turbo;
Racor coolant HE tank heater
Custom built 15A ILH.
supplying SWEP FPHE;
SVO; Greasecar tank custom system
MBZ 300TDT Elsbett single tank system. Racor 345RC coolant head filter; SWEP 30 plate FPHE vegtherm
Dino/VO blend main tank.

Triple barrel gravity settling
120 gal final phase aluminum tank.
Graco blue devil transfer pump

Location: Sonoma Coast Northern California | Registered: October 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wonder if he pays the appropriate highway use taxes on his cooking oil?

Here in NC, legally, even home brewers are supposed to get a license to manufacture BD (free) and pay 27.1 cents per gallon "high way use" tax and 25 cents per gallon "inspection fee" - just what's being inspectd, I haven't a clue. Oh, and post a $2000 bond to the state in case we don't pay our taxes!!!

Ya reckon the fossil fuels industry had anything to do with these regulations?

Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: July 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
just saw a short clip on al gore who travels in a caravan of three towncars and a suburban. all idling outside the hotel for 20 minutes while waiting for him and his family. all the while he is telling everyone to ride a bike.
here al, let me get ya a bigger shovel.

Shawn

2006 F-250 6.0l PSD Crew W/ FS BED Runnin' on Homemade B-100 (NOT!!!) If you have a 6.0 DO NOT RUN B/D unless you have a LOT of money for injectors and fuel pumps and fuel injection control modules and...

This message will self destruct

Location: sunny Palm Bch.County, Fl. Home of the "Hanging Chad" | Registered: July 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A Hummer with 6 riders gets better seat mileage than a Prius with a single occupant. Using the wrong tool for the job is part of the problem.

School buses get worse mileage than Hummers, but are a more efficient use of fuel, compared to 45 soccer-mom's each driving their kids to school, even if they're all driving Prius's.

Fergie or Arnold selling a vehicle to someone who can fill the seats makes good sense. Do we know if that's what happened?

Location: Moses Lake, WA, USA | Registered: August 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A Hummer or other rugged SUV also has a lower cost per mile life cycle cost than a hybrid or other disposable 'shoebox' car. Light trucks last longer and deliver more miles over their life. Most people will keep a hybrid till the expensive batteries need replacing then dump it.

The focus is placed on the vehicle being used because that's how our society avoids personal responsibility. It's always the thing's fault, blame the thing, not the stupid brain-numb idiot misusing it.

Location: coldest N.America | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
The focus is placed on the vehicle being used

It's like someone blaming spoons for making them fat.

Location: Moses Lake, WA, USA | Registered: August 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
It's like someone blaming spoons for making them fat.

Well they keep getting in their mouth.

Maybe they could sue the spoon manufacturers and set a precedent Wink

21 years off the grid and counting

Location: Muskoka, Ont, Can | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It would be fought by the spoon lobby. Big spoon always seems to get it's way.

But we digress...
Cheers,
JohnO

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by johno:
A Hummer with 6 riders gets better seat mileage than a Prius with a single occupant. Using the wrong tool for the job is part of the problem.

You can't fit 6 comfortably in an H2, so the Prius still wins. Ha, I've never seen an H2 with more than 2 in it. Recycle the damn thing.

'05 CRD B100
'01 TDi B100

Location: Colorado | Registered: March 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Easy hoss... don't blame the size of the spoon.

To make a vehicle takes about 1/3 of the energy required to maintain a vehicle over an average 12 year lifespan.

Put a diesel in and run 'em till the wheels fall off. For any vehicle every year beyond a dozen is a bonus.

Keeping an older vehicle running clean is cheaper than building a new one that won't last as long.

Location: coldest N.America | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
with all the talk of fuel savings and telling people to ride bikes and walk how come no one is holding the local governments accountable? does anyone have any idea how much unneccesary fuel is burned due to the timing of traffic signals?

Shawn

2006 F-250 6.0l PSD Crew W/ FS BED Runnin' on Homemade B-100 (NOT!!!) If you have a 6.0 DO NOT RUN B/D unless you have a LOT of money for injectors and fuel pumps and fuel injection control modules and...

This message will self destruct

Location: sunny Palm Bch.County, Fl. Home of the "Hanging Chad" | Registered: July 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Approximately 50% of the motor fuel in N.America is wasted idling in traffic and speeding.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Approximately 50% of the motor fuel in N.America is wasted idling in traffic and speeding.

Do you know what the split between those 2 is? 20% to idling: 30% to speeding? Or is it more like 10% and 40%?

Location: Southern WI, USA | Registered: May 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Do you know what the split between those 2 is? 20% to idling: 30% to speeding? Or is it more like 10% and 40%?

http://www.journalofcommerce.com/article/id28679
http://www.seon.com/Articles/FuelCosts.pdf
http://envirostats.info/2007/09/19/0410/
A few examples quickly found with google, many more with various stats for those interested in delving further.