BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Environment  Hop To Forums  General Environmental Discussion    Clean Energy Gulf Challenge

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Clean Energy Gulf Challenge
 Login/Join

posted
Clean Energy Gulf Challenge Announced
SACE Launches Contest for Roadmap to End America’s Dangerous Addiction to Oil

Jacksonville, Fla. (May 13) – Today, the Southern Alliance for Clean Energy is issuing a Clean Energy Gulf Challenge to solicit and award a cash prize for the best plan that demonstrates how the United States can end both offshore oil drilling in the Gulf of Mexico and imports of Persian Gulf oil. The unfolding oil disaster in the Gulf of Mexico has sharpened the debate between foreign oil imports and risky offshore domestic production. The Southern Alliance for Clean Energy believes that there is a way, not only to end our dependence on oil imports from potentially unstable government regimes in the Persian Gulf, but to also phase out the environmentally risky practice of offshore oil and gas drilling.

“It’s a false tradeoff to say that we must undertake dangerous offshore drilling activities or see an increase in oil imports from potentially hostile regimes,” said Dr. Stephen Smith, executive director of SACE. “People want to see a future that eliminates U.S. oil extraction from both locations, and we are seeking the brightest minds to map out a bridge to that future.”

The Clean Energy Gulf Challenge will accept plans from individuals, companies, academic institutions and “think tanks” over the next few weeks (contest deadline is Monday, June 14th) that lay out the details of how to get the U.S. to end domestic offshore drilling in the Gulf of Mexico and Persian Gulf oil imports. Experts in the energy field will review the plans. The top three selections will be presented to the public during the week of Independence Day as a tribute to America’s movement towards energy independence. The public will then have an opportunity to cast their votes, and the $10,000 prizewinner will be announced on Tuesday, July 13th.

“Increasing efficiency standards on cars and trucks, using sustainable biofuels, electrifying a portion of vehicle fleets and a host of other measures will reduce America’s oil consumption. I believe that reducing our oil and gas consumption one-fifth [or 20 percent] by 2020 could get our nation out of both the Gulf of Mexico and the Persian Gulf,” Dr. Smith stated. “Many alternatives are available now, and we are looking for the best and the brightest to help the American people understand that yes, we can do this. The Clean Energy Gulf Challenge will spotlight the path forward and give people hope that we are not hostage to two very bad situations.”

Related Links:

The Clean Energy Gulf Challenge Entry Information
http://www.cleanenergy.org/gul...lfChallengeEntry.pdf

Location: Atlanta Ga | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think it is a very complex problem...
And won't take a simple solution.

For example, while some people may like WVO, there aren't enough French Fries in the world to supply the biofuels needs. If the average American uses a gallon of fuel a day, they don't eat enough French Fries to necessitate the generation of that much WVO.
  • The first thing I would do would be to increase the non-fossil fuel based electricity production across the USA. While one may be thinking about transportation issues, this is important because all fuel sources are tied together. And it is possible to produce liquid fuels out of coal.
  • All new housing construction should be required to add solar panels valued at 10% of the cost of the house up to 10KW.
    They should also be required to add solar Hot water preheaters.
    For practical reasons, make "reasonable" exceptions for homes with inadequate sun exposure. No sense in investing $30K or more in a system with absolutely no sun exposure.
    Commercial construction should have similar rules.
    Adequately situated wind, or other personal power generation can also be used.
    If there is adequate renewable "grid power", then start pushing the electric vehicles and plug-in hybrids.
  • My previous proposal for a "two cents a month" gas tax just makes sense.
    Start phasing in a high gas tax... and let everyone know it is coming. At this point, it would barely keep up with inflation.
    AND DEDICATE HALF THE MONEY TO ROAD, TRANSPORTATION, AND INFRASTRUCTURE IMPROVEMENTS, AND HALF THE MONEY TO PAYING DOWN THE NATIONAL DEBT (NOT JUST THE DEFICIT).
  • Allow any "Gray Market" car that passes UNECE standards and is rated in excess of 50 MPG Highway to be imported to the USA on a limited basis without modification.
  • Get serious with vehicle fuel efficiency standards & get more clean-diesels on the road.
  • EVERY Vehicle sold in the USA should be rated for B100, E85, or E100.
  • Get serious with R&D. If we are talking somewhere in the ballpark of $100 Billion for the cleanup of one oil spill...
    How much money should we be putting into renewable energy R&D?
    Any oil cleanup/contamination funds should have a matching Renewable Energy Fund.
  • We don't currently have any infrastructure for retailing LNG or CNG for automobile fuel, although we more or less have the supply infrastructure in place. Start pushing LNG/CNG distribution. Many states do have LPG distributed at existing fueling stations. This might be easier to handle than the LNG/CNG, but may not be as easy to make from renewable sources.
  • No, or reduced fuel/road taxes for "alternative" fuels. SVO, WVO, B100, E85, E100, Methanol, LNG, CNG, LPG, Butane, Butanol, Electricity, Bio & waste derived gasoline & diesel, and etc.
  • RECOGNIZE VEGETABLE OIL AS A FUEL & ENCOURAGE VO COMPATIBLE VEHICLES.
  • Oh, and get some of those 18 wheelers off the road. Build an electric train infrastructure like most of the rest of the world uses, and get the semi-trailers loaded onto trains when moving them more than a few hundred miles.
    While there is a risk of widespread inflation with higher taxes, don't give a significant break on the above fuel taxes to the semis.
Is that about it? There is no one magic bullet, but one must consider a multi-pronged approach.

Location: Oregon | Registered: October 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They mainly use bicycles in the country that is taking over the world.

http://www.bikexian.com/index.html

I am shocked about the lack of interest about the huge oil spill in the gulf on this forum.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dennyfreezer:

http://www.bikexian.com/index.html
And the concern is that as the standard of living in the worlds most populous countries, India and China increase, they'll want more cars.... and back to square one.
quote:
I am shocked about the lack of interest about the huge oil spill in the gulf on this forum.
There are actually 3 or 4 different discussion threads related to the BP spill. I've submitted my "clean energy challenge" entry. And, at least 2 of us have submitted "cap the leak" proposals to BP.

I did get personalized responses back from BP.
quote:
Dear ,
Thank you so much for taking the time to think about and submit your proposed solution regarding the Horizon incident. Your submission has been reviewed for its technical merits. A similar approach has already been considered or planned for possible implementation. All of us on the Horizon Support Team appreciate your thoughts and efforts.

Sincerely yours,
Horizon Support Team
Note, of course, the very personal touch of "Dear Comma".

I suppose there are several different approaches. My belief is that one should concentrate on capping the leak before worrying about the effects of the spill... of course, over the last two months one needs to worry a lot about the impact of the increasing amount of crude oil spilling into the gulf.

And, I personally believe that BP's approach to stopping the leak has been entirely incompetent. At the moment they have a system in place that would capture most of the oil, except they don't have a ship with adequate capacity to receive the oil. That ship with the required capacity wasn't dispatched until a week ago and won't arrive for a few more weeks.

Had they chosen to bolt a valve/pipe onto the flanged joint a few feet below their current "top-hat" then they would have the ability to regulate the flow of oil, and permanently stop the spill.

However, there is speculation that the well itself would be incapable of withstanding the pressures if they ever completely closed it off. And if the blowout preventer had worked, they could have suffered a much worse catastrophe.

So...
2000 miles from the gulf, I feel a little incapable of doing more.

One thing that everyone here is doing is working on reducing our petroleum footprint. And most of us are boycotting BP (and perhaps Exxon) in one way or another... although I didn't realize how many stations relabel BP fuel.

When looking at the Gulf Challenge, I also looked up the US Energy usage:

We have a daunting task ahead of ourselves to wean our usage of Petroleum Fuels.

http://www.eia.doe.gov/aer/pdf/pages/sec1.pdf
U.S. Energy Information Administration
Independent Statistics and Analysis
Annual Energy Review 2008

Report No. DOE/EIA-0384(2008)
Release Date: June 26, 2009
Next Update: July 2010

2013 Sponsor
posted Hide Post
Personally, I think the solution is pretty simple. The price of crude oil today is $76 per bbl. A government guarantee that imported oil price will never drop below $60 would do the trick. Just set an import tariff on imported oil so that the tariff + oil price = $60. It will not generate any revenue. It will drive research funding into alternative energy like we have never seen before. Not to mention that when oil goes below $60 a bbl, all that Alaskan oil will come here instead of being sold to Japan.

Location: Cowboy Country | Registered: December 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just like any other product, if you want to reduce demand you increase the price.

The countries that drive the most economical vehicles are the ones that tax fuel the most.

The US has large amounts of geothermal energy which could make a contribution to electric generation.

Location: Nimbin Australia | Registered: December 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Interesting Article:

Will the BP Tragedy Spur Faster Adoption of Biofuels?

http://seekingalpha.com/articl...iofuels?source=yahoo

posted Hide Post
quote:

Yah right...