BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Environment  Hop To Forums  General Environmental Discussion    Its deer hunting season...
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Its deer hunting season...
 Login/Join

posted
I know there are quite a few hunters on here. I just wanted to start a place to share some Success or Motivational pictures of the 2009 hunt so far.

What I've seen so far:
2 nice bucks: 150" range and a 130" range.
10 other yearlings and does

What I have shot so far:
Arrowed the 130" buck at 30yds, but lost his trial after I bumped him out of his bed. Pretty sure I hit him high and should have given him a lot more time to expire.

And one small, tasty yearling with the shotgun at 5yds.

My Picture(s) to share
I don't have either deer from this year (one not found yet, other not developed off the film camera), but here is my best buck ever from 2006. Knowing there are more out there like that one keeps me motivated.

Location: Southern WI, USA | Registered: May 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Holey smokes Ryan,
He's a Brute.
Did you ever find the 130 class P&Y'er?

So far this year I've gotten a 120" 9 pointer and a young 6 pointer on (shot on a dcap property).
Through binoculars it appeared he had a blad spot between his shoulder blades from crossing under fences or something. It was a bald spot after all, only it was surrounding a puss filled puncture wound. Inside the wound was a 2 1/2" long broken off tine from another deer. An inch longer and would have been inside his chest cavity. That wound never slowed him down though, he was chasing a doe as hard as I've ever seen.

Location: central virginia | Registered: March 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not found yet.

I have one neighbor to the west looking and I need to get permission to access the neighbor to the north's land after the season (he allow NO access during season, but might come January). I lost the trail about 50yds from his fence line.

With the snow now, I am hoping the coyote's find him and tear up the area, making it obvious where he is. That or he survived, that would be cool too.

Location: Southern WI, USA | Registered: May 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you guys like hunting you should come to Oz. Huge numbers of horses camels buffalo and pig to shoot and of course kangaroo.
Some places you can just keep shooting until your barrel melts.

Location: Nimbin Australia | Registered: December 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I hear good things about Wisconsin deer hunting. I used to live near Kenosha, in Zion IL.
Thats a nice buck from 2006.

I got a PSE bow last year and started bowhunting this year. No luck this year, but I have until 1/3/10

What I've seen so far
Wicker deers with lights in them in peoples' front yards. It has been a bad year for everyone around here.

What Ive shot so far
One raccoon in my garage, and one coyote which ran off my only close encounter of three does coming my way. I went full draw on another coon from my stand, but thought better of wasting a Rage 3 blade.
Now I carry one arrow with a field point.

My picture(s) to share

Last year in western KY

This year, a gift from my friend in KY.
I got to skin and butcher it. Made some jerky last night.

My first bowkill!

Not sure if I'll get back out there this year but I'll try.

Brian

1996 K2500 4x4 6.5TD

Location: Southern Indiana USA | Registered: June 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I went full draw on another coon from my stand, but thought better of wasting a Rage 3 blade.
Now I carry one arrow with a field point.

Carry a couple JUDO HEADS and you wont be sorry. I started using 125 grain Judos with my PSE over 10 years ago and I have not lost an arrow since! The little spring catches the ground and stands the arrow up instead of them shooting under the grass and brush never to be seen again. I hunt allot of rabbit and grouse with my bow and it used to cost me a fortune in lost arrows until my dad got me onto these Judo's.
Cheers,
Jon

Location: Wellington County, Ontario Canada | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
I hunt allot of rabbit and grouse with my bow and it used to cost me a fortune in lost arrows until my dad got me onto these Judo

Now rabbits would be a sport.

I haven't been hunting in about 10 years. In the old days if it was hunting season, I was rarely at home. I have killed more deer than I can count with a 30/30, .243, 30-06 & .280, but only one deer with a bow and the mount is hanging over my fireplace. It was a little 9 pointer, but pretty and I was proud of it.

We have some massive bucks in Georgia, but most don't make it to that stage in life as we have a lot of deer and fairly liberal hunting seasons.

Location: Chambodia | Registered: December 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Now rabbits would be a sport.

Ya grouse too, most people look at me like I have 3 heads when I tell them I grouse hunt with a bow, a bow with no sights at that! I dont bag much but the ones that do end up on the table taste sweeter... Wink There is something about it that is incredibly fun! I just enjoy getting out and if I bag something its a bonus.
To hunt rabbits with a bow the conditions have to be just right, you need at least a foot of soft snow with no crust and a good set of quiet snowshoes so you can sneak up on them!
Duck hunting was always my favourite until they banned lead shot on waterways here. That put an end to my custom hot loads as well as having any chance of bagging any ducks, instead the steel shot would just wound them so they could die elsewhere wasting the meat. I have heard they have made allot of progress with steel shot since then mind you...
I grew up living at the base of the rocky mountains in Alberta with a bow in my hands and a rifle in my scabbard. Where I live now I have no friends who hunt and I barley have any time which leads to allot of dust on the old gun safe.
In a few years when my kids are older I am looking forward to teaching them about hunting, fishing and living off of the land, the things I was obsessed with as a kid until we moved to the city...
Cheers,
Jon

Location: Wellington County, Ontario Canada | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryan P.:
Not found yet.

I have one neighbor to the west looking and I need to get permission to access the neighbor to the north's land after the season (he allow NO access during season, but might come January). I lost the trail about 50yds from his fence line.

With the snow now, I am hoping the coyote's find him and tear up the area, making it obvious where he is. That or he survived, that would be cool too.

I know what it's like to hit one, track a massive trail, bump him and then shortly after run out of blood. I shot on several years ago at 15yds and thought it was a perfect double lung. Trailed him up 30 minutes later and the before mentioned scenario played out. I was shooting down at a steep angle from about 25 feet above him. The only thing I can think is I caught one lung at that steep of an angle.

I hit what may have been my knarlyest bucks ever high quite few years ago with a rifle. I never found that deer. I believe it was hit just under the spine, enough to shock him into falling like a ton of bricks, but then he stood up 30sec later or so and stumbled off without leaving so much as a cup of blood.

I now make sure I wait at least 1hr and often times 3 or more before trailing up a archery shot deer, unless I see it go down.

Location: central virginia | Registered: March 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I now make sure I wait at least 1hr and often times 3 or more before trailing up a archery shot deer, unless I see it go down.

That is a lesson I have learned the hard way now. I gave that buck about 1.5 hrs after not finding him in the first 50yds. The weather was warm and the thought of all the meat rotting in a brush pile somewhere pushed me back out the door too soon. My brother is convinced I hit high (and the blood on the branches of the trail I followed confirmed that), and he has seen big, rut-crazed bucks run hundreds of yards with a high lung bow shot. I bumped out of his bed 10yds from the property line. If I had given him a half a day, I probably would have found him right there; he would have stayed bedded until his lungs filled up and he died.

I darn near lost another buck with a high lung shotgun hit: not one drop of blood, and he ran about 100yds in a big circle, ending only 35yds through impenetrable brush from where I shot him. I have to credit my brother with that find: he just started walking circles from my shot while I was convincing myself I must have missed. Then he found him. This guy.

posted Hide Post
Decent buck!
Is that a scope on an 870 shotgun?
Jon

posted Hide Post
Yes, yes it is. 870 Express Magnum, fully-rifled barrel, cantilever scope mount, flinging 1 oz Remington Copper Solids in 3". Its all shotgun-only areas where I hunt in S. WI, so I have pushed the range of my shotgun out to 200yds+. That buck was shot at 130yds, furthest I have taken any animal with it so far, but it shoots a 8" group at 200, I just need to hold-over 24" to do it.

posted Hide Post
That seems more like a rifle than a shotgun. Single projectile, rifled barrel, 200 yd range. When does a shotgun become a rifle?

Location: coldest N.America | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow! Cool
I was going to ask if you squat to pee next but if you can bag a buck at 130 yards with a shotgun and have it scoped in at 200 I stand corrected and am obviously way out of touch with slug technology!
Rifled shotgun barrel? It was the slugs that used to be rifled... LOL
I have never hunted with slugs but when I was familiar with them 15+ years ago they were only good to about 50 yards at most! I see slug technology has come along way... incredible!
I have an 870 express also but it is from before the age of 3" magnums, my barrel will only accept standard 2-3/4" shells.
Where I live now only shotguns and bows are allowed. I have a beauty Ruger Redhawk .270 ultralight but even that light load is not permitted in this area...
Sadly I have yet to even do any hunting in this area...

Cheers,
Jon

posted Hide Post
quote:
When does a shotgun become a rifle?

Ahhh...basically when the caliber changes. So long as I am shooting a 12-ga projectile (diameter of about 1/2 inch, approximately .50 caliber). The same basic logic is applied to muzzleloaders, too. You can use muzzleloaders in shotgun only areas, even though the modern muzzleloader is fully rifled, and shoots 200-300 yds properly set-up. But the bullet is still .50 cal or .45 cal: big diameter.

Its not the most logical, but its what is done around here. The argument is something along the lines of the big diameter, blunt nose bullet loosing enough energy out at long range as to pose a decreased risk of errand shots finding a bad target.

If I could somehow have a barrel made for my 870 shotgun that fit a .30-06 shell or a .270 shell...then I would have just converted my shotgun to a rifle in the eyes of the DNR, I think.

posted Hide Post
It looks like Santa filled his freezer this year! He must have been tired of the constant maintenance reindeer require... Big Grin

posted Hide Post
Weldshop,
Nice deer and coon there. That doe looks like there'll be some might fine roasts in the making.

posted Hide Post
Thanks,
Yup, I got more jerky and Christmas backstraps marinading right now.

1996 K2500 4x4 6.5TD

Location: Southern Indiana USA | Registered: June 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
The 2010 archery season has been underway for a while now. I'm still hoping to cross paths with this buck I caught on my game camera.

But I have taken my first whitetail buck with a bow this year, and he's not a small one, either.

posted Hide Post
I missed a big buck last sat.with my cross bow, I had a bad case of the shakes It looks like it will be a good year in south east Louisiana. we are over run with does and the rutt is just around the corner.

Ron

Location: New Orleans. Area  | Registered: February 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post