BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Environment  Hop To Forums  General Environmental Discussion    Stand Up Take Action 2010.We need you…

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stand Up Take Action 2010.We need you…
 Login/Join

posted
Let us unite together against global warming, pollution and save endangered species. Environmental sustainability is one of Millennium Development Goals which is to be achieved by 2015

Also

Globally more than 173 Million people stood up against poverty in 2009, a Guinness World Record!

Let us break this record in 2010!

Be the voice for the millions of poor people living across India.

It is Time for You to STAND UP AGAINST POVERTY NOW!

Join us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/unmcampaignINDIA and check out the photo album section for the event pictures.

Follow us on Twitter at http://twitter.com/unmcampaignIND

posted Hide Post
Bullfudge... Do something better...

going Galt

Underneath the talk about economic policy is a moral agenda that holds that the job of government is to reward the values of the hard-working and punish the failure of the irresponsible, who are largely responsible for their own misery. We're fed up with bailouts for losers and subsidies for deadbeat mortgage debtors. Government is paid for by the Responsibles while serving the Deadbeats. The Responsibles mind their money wisely, work hard, pay their debts, and are burdened by taxes that go to subsidize the Deadbeats. The Deadbeats -- from undocumented foreign workers to folks collecting unemployment checks -- feed from the public trough.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: john galt,

Location: coldest N.America | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by garima:

Be the voice for the millions of poor people living across India.

It is Time for You to STAND UP AGAINST POVERTY NOW!

Stand up against poverty? Oh yeah.... Roll Eyes
I'll write my politician and tell them I refuse to tolerate poverty in 3rd world countries any longer and what are they going to do about it?
I don't expect I'll get much of a response and I don't blame them. Plenty of problems in my own back yard to worry about first.

When I was a little boy in kindergarten I used to take money to school once a week to give to the starving kids. Those kids whom are now my age probably have 10 starving kids of their own and maybe even a few starving grandchildren for good measure.

The only thing that will fix the poverty/ hunger problem in these places is sterilization and a decline in the population which is too great for the countries to support.
Anything other than that just perpetuates the problem.

Location: Sydney | Registered: September 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ethiopia famine aid 'spent on weapons'
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/8535189.stm

By Martin Plaut
Africa analyst, BBC News
Wednesday, 3 March 2010

*Millions of dollars earmarked for victims of the Ethiopian famine of 1984-85 went on buying weapons, according to a BBC investigation.*

The crisis in 1984 prompted a huge Western relief effort, spearheaded by pop star Bob Geldof's Band Aid campaign and Live Aid concerts.

Former rebel leaders told the BBC that they posed as merchants in meetings with charity workers to get aid money. They then diverted the cash to fund their attempts to overthrow the government of the time.

One rebel leader estimated $95m (£63m) - from Western governments and charities including Band Aid - was channelled into the rebel fight.

Documents released by the CIA confirmed aid was "almost certainly being diverted for military purposes".

Since then the population of Ethiopia has doubled and moved to the urban slums where they don't have a chance of feeding themselves. Do-gooders only make things worse with their meddling.

Location: coldest N.America | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Interesting.
If that is true, it is certainly a disturbing thought. Making the problem twice as big with twice as many people now suffering is a big worry.

I am not surprised though. When I think back to when I was a kid, we were told about how the money went to teaching people to feed themselves and bringing clean water to villages etc and generally trying to make the people self sufficient to feed themselves. Anyone could see that 40 years later the amount of starving people appears to be worse than ever so what good did all that aid do before?
Had it been a success, logic would suggest that the problem would be much less not worse. The fact it is still so rampant really warrants these aid schemes be taken a good hard look at.
The only thing that can begin to make a difference is population control.

A while ago( before Haiti) some little back woods countries suffered a Tsunami and there was a an unprecedented movement here to help which raised over 100M dollars which was probably about the net worth of the countries affected. The Govt that has no money for roads, hospitals or schools here suddenly was able to pull money out of thin air to the tune 20 or 50M ( can't remember exactly but it was a LOT) and there was much made about handing over relief cheques.

I thought at the time this was stupid.
If the place has been wiped out, where the heck are they going to buy building supplies to rebuild??
To me, real help would have been going to local businesses here and spending the money with them buying timber, nails, roofing and electrical supplies etc so it gave our workers some overtime, got the economy going and the money went round and helped us as well as the people that needed a roof over their heads.
The government would get some of their money back in the form of taxes and a better economy to brag about.

It later came out that a lot of the money was spent in countries like china when we had local businesses that could have supplied the same materials and that different officials and people in aid agency's were accused of skimming millions for their own benefit.
Had we spent the money locally and got some ships and directly delivered what the people needed, everyone would have been better off and no doubt the people would have got more benefit and a lot quicker.
I don't see where sending money makes any sense at all and obviously it opens the door to abuse like with money being diverted to weapons or into the coffers of dictators and corrupt officials.

I have no problem admitting I do not support any of these OS charity's or relief organisations. Despite their own numbers that no one has anyway of verifying, I have no faith that all but a trickle of the money does any good and like the example given above, it isn't adding fuel to the fire over the long term.

In any case, when our citizens aren't living on the streets because of no fault of their own and there aren't waiting lists for medical treatment that many people will never see their turn because they will die first, Then I'll worry about helping others once we have helped ourselves and got our own affairs in proper order.

From what I understand, the US is in countless billions of debt as well and has many similar social problems with supposedly no money to fix them so I am at a loss as to how and why they can give money away they supposedly don't have and why the priority is not helping their own citizens first?

Location: Sydney | Registered: September 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
If that is true, it is certainly a disturbing thought.

You can easily confirm it. The numbers I found stated a 42 million population of Ethiopia 1984, and an 84 million population in 2009. The populations of Canada, the US and Oz didn't double during that time. I do all my charity giving close to home where the people are making a more reasonable attempt to limit their population increase, the governments aren't nearly as corrupt, and I can see the benefit myself.

The US is in debt up to their eyeballs. It would take the hard work of at least three to four generations to get out of that hole even if they wanted to. Since the US would have to borrow any money they give as foreign aid, then they might as well tell the countries in Africa to go borrow it on their own and put their untapped resources up as collateral.

The US needs to cut unnecessary spending if they ever want to get out of debt. They spend more on 'military defense' than the total amount of military expenditures of all the other countries in the world. That would be a good place to start cutting back.

"World aid" is a big business, with the aid agencies skimming a generous percent off the top for 'overhead'. That's why they don't want anyone sending old clothes and blankets, just money. The Salvation Army is an exception to that. They ship stuff that people can actually use and which won't get skimmed off by the 'aid whores' and corrupt governments.

posted Hide Post
Until more countries embrace civilization poverty will be endemic in most of the world, lets take India for example, until they abolish their caste system poverty will be an integral and acceptable part of their culture, so, as far as I'm concerned, screw you, fix your own damned system or shut the hell up.

Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post