BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Diesel vehicles and other diesel equipment  Hop To Forums  GMC 6.2 and 6.5    Are mechanical fuel pumps prone to vapour lock?

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Are mechanical fuel pumps prone to vapour lock?
 Login/Join

posted
Are mechanical fuel pumps prone to vapour lock?
I'm have been burning veg and tranny oil in my 1982 6.2L diesel truck for 6 months without problems until recently. Seems like the engine is "starving" for fuel and looses power and then dies after an hour or so. I'm running the fuel through a very large heat exchanger and the engine temp is 195 degrees. I'm wondering if maybe I'm killing the pump with this set up.
The next day when the engine is cold I removed the cover of the IP to test the solenoid valve for proper function. It was fine. During this procedure fuel began to slowly flow from the IP tank where the solenoid valve is located. Put it all back together didn't really change anything and it started after 10 minutes of cranking (I many have caused air in the lines during this procedure).
I stock cases of fuel filters and change them when I feel it needs it or it starts the starving act. The filters may NOT be plugged but because I relieve the pressure by changing filters it start up again. I would like to solve this issue before I change my set up to 2 filters instead of 3 and add an electric lift pump. I'm using 2 filters at 21 microns and one final stock filter at 4 microns.
Any help is appreciated.

Also, what do you think if I by pass the mechanical pump and go electric only? Your thoughts please?

Location: So Cal | Registered: July 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by james boggs:
what do you think if I by pass the mechanical pump and go electric only? Your thoughts please?

I have a 95 GMC van, 6.5 N/A with a mechanical lift pump. I am also considering eliminating the stock pump to go electric.

http://biodiesel.infopop.cc/ev...=857104535#857104535

Location: Arlington, Va.  | Registered: October 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post