Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

6.5 truck
 Login/Join

posted
I am considering buying a 1993 Chevy 2500 with the 6.5 diesel. How good does this truck run on bio or SVO.
Mileage?, clogging filters?, any concearns that a first time diesel owner should know?
The guy wants 5G for the truck wich KBB says is worth about 4G in the basic model wich I don't know the features the truck comes with. I'd have to sell my '04 gas engine chevy to afford it so I am really cautious about it in the first place.
Thanks.

Ed

Lansing, MI USA

Location: MI | Registered: May 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This truck will have the mechanical DB2 Injection pump in it and will run fine on both BIO and WVO.

You will want to check the dieselplace forums - i have a 98 but believe that this will still have the Fuel Filter manager with the restrictive inlets and outlets.

I would suggest that you loop the return line when running on WVO.

The stock lift pump will not handle WVO - replace it with a Walbro FRB-5 as a minimum or better a Mallory 4140

DO NOT start this truck on cold veg - have a startup tank with DINO or BIO and switch to Veg when upto temp

Your best investment will be a temperature gauge just before the IP so you know when it it safe to change to Veg and a pressure gauge so you know your lift pumps are producing adequate pressure.

If you intend to use the stock fuel tank i would replace/bypass the stock fuel lines with 1/2" fuel line to further remove any restrictions.

regards

Craig