Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

6.5 engine problems
 Login/Join

posted
ok so i have a 96 gmc with the 6.5 turbo and every once and a while it will just shut off while driving... have no idea why it does that.... throw it in neutral and it starts right back up..

any idea's as to why it's doing this????

1986 Ford F250 6.9L
1996 Gmc Suburban 6.5L
Home Brewed B100
Diesel Mechanic

Location: Chicago,Ill | Registered: March 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
that sounds like the problem I had, after spending 800 bucks it turned out to be a faulty fuel cap!!!!!. loosen the cap and see if the problem goes away. Do you hear a hissing sound when you open the cap after driving for awhile? (cap vent stuck closed causing a vacuum in the tank which the lift pump/IP can't overcome) Tom

" I don't know what I don't know until I know"
1994 GMC 6.5 Tubo 2005 Dodge ram 3500, 3 VW's 2000, 2002, 2005.

Location: Manitoba Canada | Registered: March 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Kinda sounds like your PMD is going out on you,does it shut off like you turned the key off or like it is running out of fuel.Try this forum and search for PMD, http://www.dieselplace.com/for...orumdisplay.php?f=21

posted Hide Post
i was thinking pmd also... might have to move it off the injector pump

1986 Ford F250 6.9L
1996 Gmc Suburban 6.5L
Home Brewed B100
Diesel Mechanic

Location: Chicago,Ill | Registered: March 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I too immediately thought PMD. Classic issue.

As for the fuel cap, the proper cap is supposed to be vented. Gasoline caps are not.
Granted the fuel tank should also be vented, so this should eliminate any cap issues.

Anyone think I am wrong on this at all?

http://biodiesel.infopop.cc/ev...=857104535#857104535

Location: Arlington, Va.  | Registered: October 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Renntag:

As for the fuel cap, the proper cap is supposed to be vented. Gasoline caps are not.
Granted the fuel tank should also be vented, so this should eliminate any cap issues.

If the fuel sender unit is properly installed, than the only open vent in the system is through the cap.

As for the problem indicated in this thread, this is a classic PMD issue. Its not a question of if, it will fail.

Get either the new grey stanadyne or the DTech and don't let it even get close to the IP. Get one of the long extensions and mount it on a heatsink behind the front bumper (there are two air ducts in the lower bumper) and don't forget to swap around the resistor from your old PMD. Keep it out of the engine compartment altogether and your PMD (and IP) will be happier. I always carried a spare PMD in the dash.

Bill

91 Buick Roadmaster wagon, GM 6.2 diesel conversion (gone but not forgotten
89 GMC 6.2 (Just got rid of the last pieces)
84 Mercedes 300D (gone to the great autobahn in the sky)
94 Cadillac Fleetwood (Sold before I could convert it)

Location: Manotick, Ontario Canada | Registered: July 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Renntag:

I think you are wrong,hah