BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Straight Vegetable Oil (SVO) as fuel  Hop To Forums  SVO Links    Can Ford 7.3 L injectors be cleaned?

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can Ford 7.3 L injectors be cleaned?
 Login/Join

posted
I fear my lack of top end power on my 02 7.3l is because of fouled injectors. Just wanted to know if anyone has experience in cleaning them.

2013 sponsor
posted Hide Post
I rigged up a way to direct feed some Seafoam injector cleaner directly through the WVO fuel system. I varied the rpm range and ran it for what seemed like an eternity. No extra soot out the pipe or anything else. The truck seemed to run fine before... and I couldn't tell much difference after.

I've been considering some chemical injector cleaners but have been chicken to try stuff right out of my own lab. My father almost ruined 310hp turbocharged airplane engine doing this stuff about 25 years ago!

Here are some points to consider: If you see soot out the pipe during a chemical cleaning (with the engine running), it probably won't be black. WVO has no sulphur and that's what causes black smoke in diesel. Are you running through your stock filter? Does your system have a pressure regulator and return line? My WVO system is a direct feed with no return. That means all of the Seafoam was going directly into the engine. On a stock fuel system, about 80% of the fuel pumped is returned to the tank. That means most of your injector cleaner just goes back into the tank where it is diluted.

By the way, my Powerstroke ran just fine on straight Seafoam.

2002 F-250, 7.3l on WVO since '04
'82 VW Rabbit diesel 1.6l na
'83 GMC 6.2l Class C RV
'85 F-350, 6.9l flat bed
'85 E-350, 6.9l cube van
2 Mercedes 300SD's
3 Chinese Changfa-style diesel generators- 12kw, 8kw & 7.5kw
Mitsubishi 3 cyl diesel generator/light tower
Kubota 2 cyl. diesel, water cooled air compressor
Onan 12.5kw air-cooled diesel genset
I run my company entirely on renewable energy including electricity from generators running on biofuels.

Location: El Dorado, Ark | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
WVO has no sulphur and that's what causes black smoke in diesel.

Then why do big rigs (highway tractor trucks) still belch big black clouds of smoke when they're pulling off a read light?

I heard that the black soot is super fine carbon particles-ULSD is a hydrocarbon, so that makes sense to me. It was also mentioned that if an engine was blowing a lot of black, then it was suffering from poor combustion or overfuelling.

That's what I heard, anyway...

posted Hide Post
I can recommend Lubri-Moly Diesel Purge.
I put 1/2 a can in my '98 VW TDI with only 1 gallon of fuel in it, ran it around for a few miles then let it sit a couple days. It had been smoking for a minute at startup. The Diesel Purge cleaned the injectors and eliminated 90% of the smoking. I've very pleased. Can't tell about HP or fuel mileage.

Also just tried DP in my '92 F-250 with a sticking injector that was causing a rough idle, excessive smoking, and engine knocking under load. Put a can in the fuel filter Put 2 cans in the fuel tank. Then ran it for an hour. No change.

Biodiesel and automatic transmission fluid can also be tried.

1-tank Elsbett VW TDI , 220,000 WVO miles.
http://ctbiodzl.freeshell.org/votdi.html
and a '92 F-250 with only a FPHE

Location: Ct,USA | Registered: November 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post