BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Straight Vegetable Oil (SVO) as fuel  Hop To Forums  SVO Links    Help!How to filter wvo and How many microns is clean oil??
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help!How to filter wvo and How many microns is clean oil??
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Here is a sweet filtering system. Can filter almost anything down to 0.5 micron. Operates at a volume of about 20-50 gpm depending on product.

Doug Felt

Location: Billings MT | Registered: May 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Location: Kirkland | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
John,

The basic minimum for dino diesel is 5 micron, now almost no one uses that standard, most stations take it down to 2-3 microns, some applications e.g. jet fuel is taken down to .5 micron.

Doug Felt

Location: Billings MT | Registered: May 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I hit the Lotto, I'm gonna buy that filtering system.. It would take me hitting the Lotto to be able to afford that thing.
<<<EDIT>>> I was talking about the mammoth black pump not the kung poa jette set up of course..
R.....

1993 Dodge 2500, SVO, Banks Turbo Package, Exhaust Brake, etc etc.
For the planet.

Location: Daytona Florida | Registered: August 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That appears to be a fuel tank polisher system. You use them when you have dirty tanks. I have seen them used on boats.

posted Hide Post
Gannamede how is that sand filter comming along, update please!

1985 300SD 326K no mods, his 59K on veg(since October 05)
01 Jetta TDI 251K stock, my sons 107k on veg(since august 06)
99 Suburban 6.5L 252K stock, 1,500k on veg(since sept 08)gone, tranny broke, 98 E300 TD 157K stock, hers,5K on blend of Dino and my mix,75% WVO, 25% stale RUG, AMSOIL cetane boost, AMSOIL diesel fuel modifier, pure gum turpentine, acetone

Location: Uncasville, CT | Registered: July 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Check into the centrofuge setup. Expensive? Getting started, yes but after getting going, no more buying filters. I've just gotten set up and am happy as a clam, or whatever the saying goes!! There are a couple of discussions going right now!!

Location: Hawkinsville, Ga. 31036 | Registered: October 24, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here is my $9.00 pre-filter:

The housing-easily founding laying around pretty much anywhere. The holes were cut with a 1-1/4" hole saw.

The filter media-old t-shirts. I just went through a pile my mom was going to donate to the salvation army.

Why did this all cost $9.00? I ordered 12" stainless steel hose clamps from McMaster-Carr in order to fasten the filter media to the housing. They only came in packs of five. Not a bad deal as far as I'm concerned. The t-shirts filter out all of the big crud (breading, fries, even flour to an extent) and some of the PHO depending on the temperature. I try to let the oil cool by sitting in the shade if the cubee/bucket has been sitting in the sun.

GENERAL SHERMAN
2003 F-350 FX4 7.3L
Vegistroke V3

posted Hide Post

Location: Kirkland | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gannamede:
It's me again!!! since the last post I've been up to my elbows in working up a really decent wvo system. I now use a deepfryer I found at a flea market to preheat the stuff, and found that it invariably quits boiling at around 375 degrees F. So then it's pretty well dewatered when I pour it through a 400 threadcount sheet on a 55 gal steel drum, held in place by the locking ring that came with the drum. A word of warning, BE SUPER CAREFUL WITH 375 DEGREE OIL, THE STUFF WILL COOK YOU!!! I have a very heavy full length rubber apron and gloves I bought from Grainger just for this purpose. And don't gripe about the little bit of electricity required to heat the stuff, it's still FAR cheaper than any crude you'll find anywhere this side of the Persian gulf. When it cools I pump it over into a couple of plastic drums with a $39 pump which I bought from Harbor Freight plumbed into the bottom of the steel drum. From there I use a simple hand cranked drum pump I got brand new at a discount tool joint for $24.95 with a lenght of hose into the ol Mercedes. NOW.......and I think this may be important, every 200 gallons or so I switch to crude based ripoff diesel which I treat with twice the recommended amount of diesel treatment for one tank. I've had NO problems, none, zilch, zero, get it? for over 70,000 miles. The only problem you're gonna have is the stuff WILL smoke when you first crank up, so if you got stuffy neighbors you may want to put one of those aggravating "startup" systems in the trunk. ALSO, (and this is clearly illegal), you can safely mix as much as 50% used motor oil in with your veggie before heating. ALSO, (and I've been doing this for ten years) pump a couple gallons of regular gas into the tank for every ten gallons of veggie in cold weather, and unless you live in Frigidaire Minnesota you can drive right on through the winter. I live in Tennessee, and our winters are not exactly arctic, so you may need to experiment with that a little bit. I'm currently working on a sand based filtering system, don't laugh, it's working pretty darn good, but I'm not going to give out the particulars until I get a little more comfortable with it. It should eliminate the need for changing cloth filters every few gallons. I also have a good high speed centrifuge which I've used quite a bit, but it's not the "magic bullet" I thought it would be when using it with SVO. (does a great job on the used motor oil though Smile) NOW........and you're not going to like this.......... When Hillary goes into the whitehouse we're going to pay (substantial) tax on our home made fuel or face some (really stiff) penalties, so enjoy it while you can!
Cool

I have a question. It seems that you really know what your doing. I am new to wvo but I really like it. I have a perfect location to set up wvo production for personel and farm use. I am in tennessee. Do you ever assist setting up a wvo production. I would be willing to pay to get it set up properly. I am a mechanical contractor so I have a pretty good idea but could use some direction. thanks a lot. airtimetom.

Location: TENNESSEE | Registered: May 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm in TN,if your near me.I could show you.

126 diesels yahoo groups
83 SD straight exhaust 94 Cobra
Cold air,real cold.Cobra electric radiator fan,Monark nozzles,10 psi electric fuel pump.85 amp alternator 12" subs.23 psi boost, 30 micron filter,an 5 micron filter added
2 tank,wvo,boost guage ,line heaters,coolant heater Fattywagons customer. 99 S320 with 75 more hp.

Location: Bristol Tennessee | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
best way to clean your oil is to use a 100 micron filter to pull the big stuff out, then use a centrifuge to pull all the fine particulate matter out which is suspended in the oil. I you start using the centrifuge you will see all the crap that filters dont catch and then wonder what the hell that crap has been doing to your engine prior to the use of the centrifuge. Shocking your system with diesel additive to clean the injectors is all fine and dandy, but best results are obtained through the use of a centrifuge.

Location: sault sainte marie | Registered: January 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
http://biodiesel.infopop.cc/ev...9605551/m/6961060812

may want to take a look at this link lots of wvo filtering ideas photo's and video

good luck
www.omarsales.com

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gannamede:
It's me again!!! since the last post I've been up to my elbows in working up a really decent wvo system. I now use a deepfryer I found at a flea market to preheat the stuff, and found that it invariably quits boiling at around 375 degrees F. So then it's pretty well dewatered when I pour it through a 400 threadcount sheet on a 55 gal steel drum, held in place by the locking ring that came with the drum. A word of warning, BE SUPER CAREFUL WITH 375 DEGREE OIL, THE STUFF WILL COOK YOU!!! I have a very heavy full length rubber apron and gloves I bought from Grainger just for this purpose. And don't gripe about the little bit of electricity required to heat the stuff, it's still FAR cheaper than any crude you'll find anywhere this side of the Persian gulf. When it cools I pump it over into a couple of plastic drums with a $39 pump which I bought from Harbor Freight plumbed into the bottom of the steel drum. From there I use a simple hand cranked drum pump I got brand new at a discount tool joint for $24.95 with a lenght of hose into the ol Mercedes. NOW.......and I think this may be important, every 200 gallons or so I switch to crude based ripoff diesel which I treat with twice the recommended amount of diesel treatment for one tank. I've had NO problems, none, zilch, zero, get it? for over 70,000 miles. The only problem you're gonna have is the stuff WILL smoke when you first crank up, so if you got stuffy neighbors you may want to put one of those aggravating "startup" systems in the trunk. ALSO, (and this is clearly illegal), you can safely mix as much as 50% used motor oil in with your veggie before heating. ALSO, (and I've been doing this for ten years) pump a couple gallons of regular gas into the tank for every ten gallons of veggie in cold weather, and unless you live in Frigidaire Minnesota you can drive right on through the winter. I live in Tennessee, and our winters are not exactly arctic, so you may need to experiment with that a little bit. I'm currently working on a sand based filtering system, don't laugh, it's working pretty darn good, but I'm not going to give out the particulars until I get a little more comfortable with it. It should eliminate the need for changing cloth filters every few gallons. I also have a good high speed centrifuge which I've used quite a bit, but it's not the "magic bullet" I thought it would be when using it with SVO. (does a great job on the used motor oil though Smile) NOW........and you're not going to like this.......... When Hillary goes into the whitehouse we're going to pay (substantial) tax on our home made fuel or face some (really stiff) penalties, so enjoy it while you can!

Hey Gannamede I was thinking of trying sand filtration and saw this old post . How did it work out ? :-)