Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

beckett burner
 Login/Join

posted
I had this on a longwood dual fuel wood furnace.
What changes will i need to make to it to burn wvo?
Richard

Imageboat_parts_021.jpg (26 Kb, 47 downloads)

posted Hide Post
Try again

Imageboatparts021-1.jpg (14 Kb, 47 downloads)

posted Hide Post
Read through THIS CKBURNERS.COM website, it explains the extensive mods necessary to reliably burn heavy oils through a Beckett burner.

This links to a current Ebay sale for one of there kits.

There are also MANY discussions to be found about burning straight veg in the BIODIESEL FOR HEATING section of these forums.

The second discussion from the top on the "biodiesel for heating" forum will take you to the Yahoo groups ALTFUELFURNACE discussion group, There are MANY years worth of beckett burner conversions discussed there.

Location: fisher,illinois,usa | Registered: June 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, if it's to complicated i'll settle for drip system. I think i can do that with less outlay and knowledge.
I have access to a lot of hedge firewood, it's just pretty heavy.
Richard

posted Hide Post
It is possible to mod a Beckett to use it's normal pressure spray approach but even this takes modifications like adding a good bit of electric heat just behind the spray nozzle, upping the pump pressure for a better spray, pre and post heat timing etc, biggest problem is getting the sprayed veg to light at startup. there will also be more maintanance cleaning the nozzle once a week or so. the altfuel group originally was about using the pressure concept buy it seems like most folks now are going with syphon systems even there. Converting to a syphon system has proven to be the most reliable, all the commercial waste oil burners that I have researched are syphon setups.

Drip works, I like it better than a forced air burner because it burns continuously with no noise, works fine, other than naking a bit more smoke, as long as you don't need a huge amount of heat. This links to the home built drip heater that I have used to heat my small 750 SQ FT house for the last several winters, usually burn around a pint/H of veg unless the outside temps get down well below freezing.

HEDGE - Makes fine firewood but it has FAR greater value as lumber or wood used by wood turning hobbiests for small projects like blanks for custom made ink pens etc, sells retail for several dollars a POUND, maybe a quarter of that wholesale on Ebay or if you can find an outlet that is buying it (osage orange - hedge lumber sales on Ebay), and the hedge apples sell for 50 cents to a buck each on (hedge apples on Ebay).

Location: fisher,illinois,usa | Registered: June 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This extensive discussion about inexpensive surplus military tent drip heater burners is one of the better discussions about converting these cheap surplus burners for other uses, some are using them to heat water to circulate through radiators. The burner is larger than mine so can produce a lot more heat, it also burns cleaner even with straight veg, worth a read.

posted Hide Post
It looks like we have 2 or 3 threads about the same dual fuel heater. As I posted in the other thread, I have a detailed article on by blog about how I used a pressure wvo conversion on a beckett burner and got through last winter with it. I've also built a MEN drip stove. It was ok for a small garage, but there's no way it was going to heat my house. I'm happy with my burner, but there is a learning curve, so start tinkering now.

Location: BURLINGTON NJ | Registered: April 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, a wealth of info here. I think i'll just run a drip tube in my longwood along with my wood and see how that works.

I've never been able to sell hedge or hedge apples for more than it's worth for firewood.
My son has 10+ acres of it, it's just bothersome to cut and split.
I use about 5+cords a yr.
Richard

posted Hide Post
Drip feed - I would suggest you read through the drip heater discussions that I linked to in an above post concerning the verious methods of feeding fuel to the drip tube, a simple valve has drawbacks concerning regulating a stable drip flow due to oil viscosity, fuel feed tank levels etc, most of us who use drip heater are controlling the drip rate using verious types of highly controllable low volume feed pumps, I convert Suntec rotary oil feed pumps that are normally used to supply the fuel to Beckett pressure type burners and turn them slowly using speed controlled auto windshield wiper motors, others are using industrial dosing pumps of various types. A pump will control the drip far more reliably than simple gravity as long as the veg oil is at least warm enough to flow as a liquid.

I have drip fed a wood stove using several different methods, the modified Suntec metering pump works the best but even there I had to add a 50 watt electric heater to my indoor fuel tank to insure the oil stayed liquid during cold weather.

posted Hide Post
Do you make pumps for sale? That may be a last resort for me.
Richard