BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Straight Vegetable Oil (SVO) as fuel  Hop To Forums  SVO as a heating oil    Suggestions for SVO wood stove application
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Suggestions for SVO wood stove application
 Login/Join

posted
Hello, I am new here. I am currently in the process of turning a short school bus into a travelling school kitchen. I have recently completed adding a second tank with an arctic fox, filter and such to run on SVO and am hoping to use the same fuel as my main cooking fuel source. I currently have an old two burning wood burning stove and from what I have been reading in this and a few other websites, I might be able to add a drip system to make it (mostly) run on SVO. Does anyone with some experience on this have any suggestions? It will be in a moving vehicle and used to feed many people.

Location: San Francisco, CA | Registered: January 04, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Depending on what you want to cook and the heat required, I don't think a drip stove will really supply you the heat and control you will probably need.
I would recommend a forced air type burner. You can gravity feed the oil ( or better still use a metered pump) and just a 12/24V marine Bilge blower to supply the air. This will give you control and heat for everything from simmering a stew or soup to enough power for a hot plate for steaks, hamburgers etc.

You could easily set the burner up to have a wide, broad heat across the plate or something like a target top plate depending on what you wanted with plenty of power for large pots for boiling potatoes, rice etc.

I think you would really have trouble getting the heat and control you would need with a non forced air drip type burner. They are not east to get to run really clean and the out put tends to be more radiated rather than concentrated. Great for space heating, not so good for something like cooking with any efficiency. Also really hard to control because any adjustments to fuel or air takes time so you would probably be fiddling round with the heat level the whole time.

Have a look on my channel, https://www.youtube.com/user/glumpy10/videos at the different burners and applications I have done with them. As soon as the rain stops here I'm going to do a vid on an oil burning stove setup I have built. It's a prototype now but will work and can be applied and modified as needed.
Rather than something pumping out a lazy 300Kw of heat to demolish aluminum cylinder heads in a few minutes like other burners, this one will specifically for cooking purposes.

It will use a $20 marine bilge blower, a $6 PWM controller from fleabay and a small $7 dosing pump.
The controller will regulate a precise and constant supply of oil from the Pump. I'm going to try and control the pump and the blower from the one PWM Module and see if I can restrict the blower so the air to fuel ration is correct so one control is all that is needed to regulate the output.
Can't see a reason it won't work.

You will light the burner which will be real simple in the design I use and then can place your pot or kettle on the top or have it under a hot plate and simple regulate the heat as you would a gas or electric stove from there. It will still probably put out an overly abundant heat for the purpose if turned right up ( 20+ kw)but still go down to next to nothing and sustain that as well.

I prefer the forced air type burners over all the more complicated, expensive and still problematic designs that really have no advantage. Some people say point out they are instant lighting but I can very easily make mine the same for under $20, maybe 10, although I don't see the point.

Anyway, have a look at the vids and stay tuned for the stove burner and feel free to ask any questions. :0)