Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Babington Burners
 Login/Join

posted
Please accept this announcement of a major redesign and reintroduction of the Yellow Heat Burner. The new burner improves on all aspects of the earlier design, including:
1. Industry standard components throughout. This means that most licensed burner technicians will have no problem providing service and any replacement parts are easy to find a reasonable cost.
2. Babington ball burner head has new slot design for greater efficiency, easier starting, more reliable operation.
3. Capable of handling all fuels in one container, no starting circuit required. handles all waste oils, including unfiltered vegetable oils, motor oils and other waste and virgin oils.
4. Rated at 87% efficiency over a wide range of heat outputs. Just as efficient as a standard burner on conventional fuels, but also can handle any type of waste oil you can find, such as WVO and WMO.
5. Among the lowest cost waste oil burner on the market. Also among the quietest.
6. Low power consumption, even with optional the inline heater.
7. A complete burner and oil cleaning system.
8. Low maintenance design provide reliable operation with minimal supervision.

Please go to our website, YellowHeatBurner.com and download the 25 page Operation Manual for full details about the benefits of heating with waste vegetable oils. See Operation Manual

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Homestead Inc.,

ImageLabeled-Burner.gif (48 Kb, 46 downloads) Y-200 Yellow Heat Burner

Location: Ashfield, MA USA | Registered: March 21, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A new video of the Yellow Heat Babington Burner now for sale is available at

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWOuLyxXR-E

Check it out!

Tom Leue

Location: Ashfield, MA USA | Registered: March 21, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Yellow Heat Burner can be operate on 100% waste vegetable oil with no filtering requirement and no preheating. The system is complete, everything you need is included. All you have to do is take the top off of a cube of waste oil, vegetable or mineral, upend it into the Straining Bucket, push the start button and it works! The easiest to operate waste oil burner, anyone can tune it for efficient operation in seconds. Clean it only once per year for efficient operation. Automatically handles most debris, sludge, water, etc. Provides smokeless, efficient and safe heating.

The Yellow Heat burner can be purchased with the highly efficient and safe Yellow Heat furnace or can be used as a retrofit to the oil burning equipment you may already have. Call us to discuss your heating needs.

Tom Leue
413-628-4533

posted Hide Post
We now have an updated website:

Yellow Heat Burner

This one will be adjusted frequently as new developments arrive.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Homestead Inc.,

posted Hide Post
Here is the latest update for the 25 page Operation Manual for the Yellow Heat Burner and Furnace.

Operation Manual

posted Hide Post
We are working constantly to improve the Yellow Heat Burner. This year we have completed the in-line heater for viscosity control. This is located after the oil pump, which is the best location for protecting the oil pump from heat damage. The heater has a complex flow path that slows the oil delivery to the Babington ball and helps transfer heat from the 100 watt heating element. The heating element is constantly on so startup is with thinned oil, but due to the insulation it uses less than 1/2 of one kilowatt hour per day. Unlike some waste oil burners that may use 10 or more kilowatt hours per day, this is a true waste oil burner, not a hidden electric heater.

With the high efficiency of the Yellow Heat Burner and it's low operating cost, and the inherent savings of burning waste vegetable oil, if you are looking for lower cost heating, Yellow Heat is the best system on the market.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Homestead Inc.:
We are working constantly to improve the Yellow Heat Burner.

Great to hear.
From what I have seen of these burners, there are loads of improvements that can be made so it's good to know your doing your R&D.
When do you think they may be ready for sale to the public for home heating?

posted Hide Post
There is a problem with waste oil burners in the home. Due to the typical use of waste oil burners and waste motor oil, the "powers that be" have set it up so that this practice is discouraged and penalized. Most homeowner insurance policies require the heating system to be UL rated (Underwriter's Laboratory). UL does not, ever, certify waste oil burners, although most of the components may carry the UL label. So, the first issue is your insurance.

Then too, many Fire Marshalls will be looking for a certain number on the equipment for the install permit. No number, no permit.

The Yellow Heat burner and furnace are made from UL listed components, but when I modify them at all, the UL label is void. The Yellow Heat system is intended for shops, greenhouses and commercial establishments.

Tom Leue

posted Hide Post
The Yellow Heat Furnace has been operating flawlessly all winter in my shop. I have a steel building, 1200 square feet with a 14 ft. peak. It has minimal insulation, some fiberglass that is compressed to nothing at each frame member. Plus there is a very large overhead door that leaks a lot.

I have been burning used cooking oil, pretty good quality, all winter. I did add a few quarts of motor oil when I changed the oil in my tractor, but for the most part it is all vegetable. I do not have to pre-filter or pre-heat the WVO. It comes in disposable cubes, which I just upend into the system one at a time. It is better than average oil I am glad to say.

I keep the shop thermostat at 60 degrees F. I have not had to do any restarting or other manipulations of the Yellow Heat Furnace all winter, with minor exceptions. I was trying another experiment with an unused hydrogenated oil, the type that is a solid at room temperature. For that oil I had to heat it to make it a liquid. But there was some odd unknown black plastic liquid under the oil, that bubbled up to the surface of the oil one bloop at a time. Odd stuff, I don't know what it is. I have a few gallons if anyone wants to examine it. But it did stop the burner until I cleaned the screen with a heat gun. Then back to the hydrogenated oil which the Yellow Heat Burner handled fine, as long as it remained a liquid.

After three years of operation of this particular furnace it does not need to be cleaned out from any ash buildup. There is a fine film of whitish ash, but if scraped out it would be a cupful or two at most. The Yellow Heat Furnace has a glass window to observe the fire, which needs to be cleaned periodically, but other than that it is maintenance free. I have an access port into the heat exchanger too, and it appears to not have any significant buildup on the transfer surfaces.

During the coldest weather I used around 2-1/2 gallons per day of vegetable oil. Now it is milder and I am using much less. I have tested the burner efficiency with an electronic tester and found nearly 87% efficiency. The Yellow Heat Furnace is also a high efficiency appliance due to its extensive heat exchange surface.

The burner runs at a low fire about 20 minutes out of the hour. There is a lot of turn-up capacity in the burner, but I do not need the extra output.

Again, anyone who wants to heat with low cost, clean burning and safe WVO should check out the Yellow Heat Burner and Furnace. I think it is a better performer than any other waste oil burning system on the market, and at a far better price.

Tom Leue

posted Hide Post
If anyone wants to try and build their own Babington burner, I am able to help. First, I sell several sizes and configurations of Babington balls at my website, YellowHeat.com. These include steel hollow balls with holes or slots cut in them in proper dimensions for good performance. I sell in sizes from 1-1/2" to 3" diameter. Some are as low as $25 and none are more than $50 each.

I have other important components for sale that help in handling and cleaning the vegetable oil conveniently. I sell unique items, such as the floating draw-off that picks up the driest and cleanest oil in the container. I now offer an in-line fuel conditioner that is energy efficient, using only 100 watts in an insulated steel box, thermostatically controlled. I also have some surplus steel fire tubes welded in the shape necessary for the fuel flow pattern that is required form the Babington technology with it's catch and return fuel stream. With some of these components and the pictures from the website, you can get a long way towards making your own burner for a low cost. But, then, the Yellow Heat Burner has over 10 years of development for reliable operation in features that may not be evident from a picture. You might just want to purchase a fully operation vegetable oil burner at our relatively low cost and start saving the cost of conventional heating while doing far less harm to the environment.

Tom

posted Hide Post
Finally it is the off-season for heating with vegetable oil. The Yellow Heat burner worked very well all winter. I am now able to announce that the design of the Yellow Heat Burner is functionally complete.

For the burners and furnaces I have sold to date, my customers have received free upgrades for the improved parts.

Since this is the off season for heating, let me announce here that I have recently been appointed as the Technical Director for Northeast Biodiesel Co. ( Northeastbiodiesel.com) in Greenfield, MA

Northeast Biodiesel Co. is a 3.5 MM gallon per year biodiesel biorefinery that is scheduled to open this year. Our feedstock is all WVO based, at least for the forseeable future. NBC has purchased a GreenFuels ( www.Greenfuels.co.uk) processor for near continuous production of ASTM biodiesel.

NBC is majority owned by Coop Power ( www.CoopPower.coop), a true energy conservation coop located throughout New England and centered in Greenfield, MA

Tom Leue

posted Hide Post
Homestead Inc. has filed a Patent Application for the Yellow Heat Burner. I want to share this patent as it may help others to understand and implement this technology. You can view this patent at the Yellow Heat website. a direct link is here:

Patent

posted Hide Post
The Yellow Heat Burner now comes with two burner heads, a high-range burner head of up to 150,000 BTU's per hour, and a low-range burner head with about 30,000 BTU's per hour. This makes the Yellow Heat Burner more adaptable to a wider range of heating appliances, such as boilers and furnaces. The conversion between either burner head is easy, and then the heat output range is adjusted automatically.

See our website, www.YellowHeat.com, for a new Operation Manual that describes this new option, and further details about the Yellow Heat System.

posted Hide Post
Hello,
I can not find the www.yelloheat.com website anymore. Has it changed?
Sven

posted Hide Post
Got any pics of your setup?

1-tank Elsbett VW TDI , 220,000 WVO miles.
http://ctbiodzl.freeshell.org/votdi.html
and a '92 F-250 with only a FPHE

Location: Ct,USA | Registered: November 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is interesting that I have been described as ducking and weaving. Not a characteristic that I have ever seen before. Actually, I spend almost unlimited time offering free information and advice on all aspects of Biodiesel and heating with waste vegetable oil. This claim from an individual should be viewed with skepticism as it is really untrue.

As for the price issue, the Yellow Heat system comes in at less than one half of any other commercial waste oil burner, such as the Econoheat. The big difference is that the Yellow Heat burner does NOT REQUIRE OIL FILTERING. There is also no preheating required. That makes a huge savings in both operating cost and operating hassle.

The Yellow Heat website lapsed, my bad, and taken away by some Australian outfit. I offered then several hundred dollars to get back the URL, but they refused. Perhaps its for the best for right now. My system is Patent Pending and if the Patent is awarded, it will be a big step forward. Until that time I am not selling these units, but giving away a few to have others test and make testimonials.

This is a technology breakthrough. Those with deep pockets may not appreciate my low key approach, such as using recycled materials when appropriate. But the Yellow Heat system does what no other waste oil burner can do: a clean, safe, cheap and environmentally responsible heating system. Lower cost than the competition and safer operation.

Tom Leue

posted Hide Post
Homestead Inc., inventor of the Yellow Heat (TM) burner, is still in operation. The patent application is still under consideration with the US Patent Office. If awarded, the Yellow Heat burner will be the only patented burner that can handle unfiltered and un-preheated waste vegetable oil, or any other kind of waste oil. I hope to hear about the final stage of the patent application process soon, and I will report it here.

posted Hide Post
Homestead Inc. Offers a variety of Babington Balls that are suitable for building your own Babington burner. These are available through Utah Biodiesel Supply.

Further information about building a successful burner can be reached through vegheat@gmail.com

Tom Leue

posted Hide Post
Still going on with this?

Amazing.

There are a load of Oil burner designs and how to build them here:

https://www.youtube.com/user/glumpy10/videos

posted Hide Post
I visited Tom at his shop and saw his heater in operation. The burner was fed from a 33? gallon barrel of wvo and the burner blew into a clever barrel-in-barrel chamber with another barrel-in-barrel on top as an air heat exchanger with fan. heated the big garage nicely. This would work out for someone with access to a lot of used veggy oil.

1-tank Elsbett VW TDI , 220,000 WVO miles.
http://ctbiodzl.freeshell.org/votdi.html
and a '92 F-250 with only a FPHE

Location: Ct,USA | Registered: November 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post