Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Old stove question
 Login/Join

posted
No question is a stupid question I was told... Used to have an old oil stove in a construction trailer. To light, the top would flip up and a match was dropped in, to the bottom, where stove oil would seep in.Once warm it worked great. Sometimes the float bowl at the back would need a little tap, to get it going. Worked great on diesel fuel too. So what happens if one tries SVO in a stove like that?

Location: Ontario | Registered: May 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lots of smoke and a big attraction for all the local wildlife.

Bill

91 Buick Roadmaster wagon, GM 6.2 diesel conversion (gone but not forgotten
89 GMC 6.2 (Just got rid of the last pieces)
84 Mercedes 300D (gone to the great autobahn in the sky)
94 Cadillac Fleetwood (Sold before I could convert it)

Location: Manotick, Ontario Canada | Registered: July 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
SVO doesn't burn that well unless it is preheated. I use it as fuel for my outdoor boiler for about 5 months of the year, it will ignite flawlessly if the temp of the oil is about 165F/80C no smoke and a nice smell of fries in the yard!

" I don't know what I don't know until I know"
1994 GMC 6.5 Tubo 2005 Dodge ram 3500, 3 VW's 2000, 2002, 2005.

Location: Manitoba Canada | Registered: March 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like lots of wildlife around but not the smoke. I think the old oil stove worked best once the 'floor' of the stove got hot. My brother-in-law had one run away on him and he dragged it out of his garage, minus the pipe. Smoke everywhere.

Location: Ontario | Registered: May 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Even when they are run on Kerosene (what they were designed to use) they tended to smoke. The very design would preclude it from producing the necessary combustion chamber temps to allow for a clean burn. SVO straight would only exacerbate the situation.

Believe me I tried, not wanting to waste my bio-diesel on the garage heater but nothing I did, including routing the supply line onto the reaction plate to warm up the fuel, stopped the smoke. Still looked like the garage was on fire. A 50/50 mix with kerosene worked better but even properly processed bio smoked. Ended up swapping it out for a oil fired water heater running on bio. Also did a better job of heating up the shop.

Bill

91 Buick Roadmaster wagon, GM 6.2 diesel conversion (gone but not forgotten
89 GMC 6.2 (Just got rid of the last pieces)
84 Mercedes 300D (gone to the great autobahn in the sky)
94 Cadillac Fleetwood (Sold before I could convert it)

Location: Manotick, Ontario Canada | Registered: July 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post