BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Straight Vegetable Oil (SVO) as fuel  Hop To Forums  SVO as a heating oil    fabricator's "playground slide" type burner design
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

fabricator's "playground slide" type burner design
 Login/Join

posted
Fabricator, I have been off board for a long time and may have missed some discussion on this, but I would like to know more about your playground slide type burner design.

For the sake of the discussion, I'm referring to a design found here about halfway down, including some pictures and videos, along with the following quote by fabricator:

"I don't have any more detailed than that, think of a playground slide, oil runs onto the top and slides down past the atomizer, all that is, is a piece of 3/8 aluminum rod with 3/8 fine thread turned on it, it has a through hole drilled and tapped to accept the small brass push lock air fitting. the last 1/16 inch opposite the air fitting is drilled through with a .010 hole, the rod threads into the coupling looking thing on the slide, the threads allow it to be turned in or out to make the pool of oil in the slide deeper or shallower, this gives a lot of flame adjustment, the atomizer must blow into a flame tube or it will not ignite, unused oil runs out the end of the slide and is pumped back into the main tank, this burner is very efficient and very stingy on oil useage, it burns best with a diffuser plate on the end of the flame tube, it turns red hot and ant unburnt oil being thrown out hits this plate and is immediately burned."

What I would like to know is: what does it take to get your burner lit? How much do you preheat the oil? Would you be interested in fabricating some more of these to sell to other board members? I would like to test one, but don't have the time or equipment to fabricate it.

Two tank system on an '89 F250
Working on an 81 Chevy Chevette
Attempting to resurrect a rusted out 85 Ford Tempo

Location: Alaska | Registered: April 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wvoalaska:
What I would like to know is: what does it take to get your burner lit? How much do you preheat the oil? Would you be interested in fabricating some more of these to sell to other board members? I would like to test one, but don't have the time or equipment to fabricate it.

There is no oil preheat, it just has to be liquid, it needs a flame tube, without one the cloud is too dispersed, all you need is around 15psi of air and a match.
I may make some at some point, but right now I don't know when, I've got way to many irons in the fire right now.

Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post