BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Straight Vegetable Oil (SVO) as fuel  Hop To Forums  SVO as a heating oil    Can I burn SVO in furnace?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can I burn SVO in furnace?
 Login/Join

posted
I have a fleetline hotwater furnace with a riello burner.
Don't know if this is enough info on my furnace to answer this question but has anyone sucessfully run one like this on SVO?

2001 f-350 ext cab 7.3. 04/10 DIY check valve system. 20 plate FPHE,Fass HPFP set at 70 PSI, TIH, Davco 322 filter head with 10 micron spin on filter,150 micron prefilter, Hydraforce purge valve, 60 liter poly tank with hotfox, ss braided hose to heads,, oil temp, pressure & fuel gauges.

Location: Nova Scotia. | Registered: July 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
thanks John.

2001 f-350 ext cab 7.3. 04/10 DIY check valve system. 20 plate FPHE,Fass HPFP set at 70 PSI, TIH, Davco 322 filter head with 10 micron spin on filter,150 micron prefilter, Hydraforce purge valve, 60 liter poly tank with hotfox, ss braided hose to heads,, oil temp, pressure & fuel gauges.

Location: Nova Scotia. | Registered: July 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Look over the ckburners.com website, he is selling a nice syphon burner nozzle heating conversion that is used to convert a normal pressure gun oil burner for use with burning heavy oil. He mentions using a Beckett burner because it is a standardized burner but the conversion should work for any manufacturers burner, the Riello burner uses a different style housing than the Becket or Wayne burner so it would likely take a bit more fab than a Beckett burner housing. I will be converting both a Beckett and a Wayne burner.

There is much more to the conversion than just the syphon nozzle and heater (compressed air, pressure regulator, float tank, temp controller, etc) but you can get the idea from the website. I am not connected with these folks but I did order one of there "Kit 1" conversion kits and I received it today, it is nicely machined and assembled, I expect it to work just fine. There seem to be many posters using this conversion over on the Yahoo group altfuelfurnace.com site.

Another consideration is the depth of your fire box, heavy oil tends to make the flame several inches longer than with fuel oil, your firebox needs to be deep enough that the flame does not contact the back wall.

Location: fisher,illinois,usa | Registered: June 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Also check out the WVO furnace developed by http://inov8-intl.com/.

Their major innovation is a needle that continually cleans the fuel nozzle by inserting itself in-between injections of fuel.

Otherwise, my family's experience in trying to use WVO in a waste-oil furnace was a no go. Too much build-up, probably from the glyerin, shut down the system.

News and Views www.dailypaul.com

Location: Green Bay, WI | Registered: June 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
YESS!!!~!

I have burned about 500 gallons of strained WVO blended with 25-33% kero for the last two heating seasons in a 13,000+ heating degree day environment. My furnace kept up to outside temps down to -35F. Needed things are a nozzle heater from Carlin and Honeywell sequencer primary control, a fuel solenoid, and a bit of patience to deal with getting the burner dialed in to the new fuel blend.

You need to allow the WVO to settle. I strained settled WVO using a non-woven blanket poly cloth bungied to a five gallon plastic bucket. The bucket had a 2" black iron floor flange sealed to the bottom with a nipple screwed into a 55 gallon drum. Sort of a giant funnel. This set up has no parts other than the usual oil burner controls. My fuel cost is CHEAP!!! I love deep fried foods!!!! This allows me to not worry about the full cost of heating oil. - diesels