BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  More Renewable Energy  Hop To Forums  Renewable Energy (Other than Biodiesel & SVO)    BioMass / Wood Pellet Home / shop Furnaces

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

BioMass / Wood Pellet Home / shop Furnaces
 Login/Join

posted
Hello:

I just started www.nwbioheat.com and interested in finding a few people who have an oil heated or propane heated home in the greater Seattle metropolitan area interested in converting to a forced air Pellet furnace.

My research has identified five manufactures of furnaces in the US. From what I can figure out none of them have delivered a furnace to the Northwest.

Look over my web site and give me a call or send me a note.

TJ Milton
nwbioheat.com
206- 367-5916
nwracer@mac.com

teij

Location: Seattle, WA | Registered: March 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have sold 2 Pellet furnaces in Oregon. My near by friendly competitors claim to have sold about a half dozen.

Here's a link to what I sold:

http://www.harmanstoves.com/doc/pf100b.pdf

Location: Oregon | Registered: April 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2013 sponsor
posted Hide Post
I am now working in the biofuels market (R&D). There are a lot of wood pellet plants going up all over the US. I have yet to find one that isn't exporting to Europe. I find it fascinating that the US is now EXPORTING our renewable energy in the form of wood pellets. Cool.

Guess who is one of the biggest distributors of wood pellets in northern Europe? Shell Oil!

Hey... I see this as a good thing. I'm also researching small scale pellet machines along the lines of our home biodiesel production. The cost of a full commercial pellet plant is over $20 Million. But is there a way to make pellets at home?

That said, I feel safety must come first when talking about making domestic heat. That's why waste oil and biodiesel heaters have not been approved for home use yet. The UL committee is working on the standard now but nothing has been approved yet.

2002 F-250, 7.3l on WVO since '04
'82 VW Rabbit diesel 1.6l na
'83 GMC 6.2l Class C RV
'85 F-350, 6.9l flat bed
'85 E-350, 6.9l cube van
2 Mercedes 300SD's
3 Chinese Changfa-style diesel generators- 12kw, 8kw & 7.5kw
Mitsubishi 3 cyl diesel generator/light tower
Kubota 2 cyl. diesel, water cooled air compressor
Onan 12.5kw air-cooled diesel genset
I run my company entirely on renewable energy including electricity from generators running on biofuels.

Location: El Dorado, Ark | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
nwracer --- Your link doesn't work.

Todd T -- Making pellets at home -- The only retailer of small pellet making machines that I have found is pelletpros.com (HERE), there smallest laboritory sized machine costs $2400.00 and makes 45 to 65 pounds of pellets/hr, there next larger machine costs $2700.00 and makes 110 to 220 pounds/hour, there largest non-commercial pellet machine costs $12,500.00 and produces between 1500 to 2200 pounds/hr. they also list much higher volume commercial machines.

These folks are about a 4 hour drive from me, hope to make a trip sometime this summer to take a closer look at the equipment.

I found a sales web page from the Chinese manufacturer of there machines, they indicate these machines were originally developed to pelletize grain but have been upgrades to handle wood pelleting. They were pricing there machines for a few hundred dollars each less than from pelletpros but in a minimum quantity of one cargo container .

These same small machines can pelletize wastepaper, grass etc.

Lots of web info for 3rd world use pelletizing waste paper as fuel briquetts with very simple machines, wooden levers and pvc pipe mold type things.

Northwest Missouri state university has been heating with chipped wood and 3/4 inch diameter pelletized waste paper from there local community for the last 10 years, also been adding pig poop from a local hog operation to there paper pellets for the last couple years, saving over a million dollars a year on there campus heating costs.

Location: fisher,illinois,usa | Registered: June 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2013 sponsor
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Tim. That's just what I was looking for. Please follow up with a report if you get to see them sometime.

'83 GMC 6.2l Class C RV
'85 F-350, 6.9l flat bed
'85 E-350, 6.9l cube van
2 Mercedes 300SD's
I run my company entirely on renewable energy including electricity from generators running on biofuels.

Location: El Dorado, Ark | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is a fairly recent discussion about operating a small pelleting machine on the yahoo woodgas forum (discussion here), he does not say the mill was bought from pelletpros but the description and price match.

From reading, even these small pelleting machines need to be run over a long period of time once fired up, the dies need to stay hot to make good pellets and the feed rate needs to be pretty constant, there is a startup/shutdown procedure using vegoil lubed feedstock that needs to be adhered to or you will plug the die holes and then need to remove the dies and drill out the hardened wooden plugs, time consuming and hard on the dies. Adding steam to the feedstock just as it enters the rollers seems to be highly benificial and reduces the power needed to press the pellets as well as reducing the long term wear of the dies.

the feedstock needs to be fairly fine, less than 3/16 inch, smaller is better, so most material needs to be ground fairly fine, wood chips are way too big, chainsaw dust will probably work but grinding it even smaller may still be needed or at least beneficial. I am just now testing the use of a salvaged home under-sink garbage disposal unit for this (dry grinding, no water added), working great so far on chainsaw dust (grinds it faster than I can add it) up to thumb-sized yard twig chunks (grinding takes a bit longer but does grind) so it should work on normal marble-sized wood chips also, will pick up a couple bucketsfull of woodchips this coming week for testing.
The only problem so far is that the garbage disposal motors are rated for intermittant use and overheat after a few minutes of continuous operation, the circuit braker trips out til the motor cools down.

These small pelleting machines use what are called "plate" dies, larger machines use what are called "drum" dies. Plate dies are just that, a flat steel plate, 1 to 1 1/2 inches thick, with holes drilled through it, this plate rotates at high speed under a couple of pressure rollers, the sawdust gets fed between the rollers and the plate and is squeezed through the holes in the plate, the pellets compact and push out the bottom of the plate until they break off due to the centrifigul force of the spinning plate. Drum dies work on the same principal except the there are many rows of holes drilled through the side of a thick sided drum, the rollers are located in the interior of the drum.

Location: fisher,illinois,usa | Registered: June 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi: I found another supplier of pellet mills after I purchased one from pelletpros dealer in northeast. he is in alaska and he sells what looks like the same machine for a little over half their cost.

posted Hide Post
There is a big sawmill, just 1 mile from my house. They have a mountain of sawdust. I have been thinking about approaching them, and exporting the pellets ??

Anyone know more about the markets and prices ??

Location: Costa Rica | Registered: October 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2013 sponsor
posted Hide Post
One of the guys I'm working with is cranking up a smaller pellet mill... smaller in that we're talking hundreds of thousands of dollars instead of tens of millions. It's a neat technology and definitely a growing market.

I'm encouraged that we're now exporting our renewable energy in the form of wood pellets.

I've heard the smaller Chinese built pellet machines are not that great. But, I have a feeling the European stuff is MUCH more expensive. Some may say Chinese diesel engines are rough but they seem to run well. Anybody got any experience with pellet machines?

'83 GMC 6.2l Class C RV
'85 F-350, 6.9l flat bed
'85 E-350, 6.9l cube van
2 Mercedes 300SD's

posted Hide Post
One big thing is the dust moisture content. I work at a sawmill and I have also looked into pellets for myself. The "green" dust from a mill is around 45-50% moisture. The pellet machines on like 12% or so. You will need dry dust. At a mill that would be dust that has come from a kiln.

Location: midwest USA | Registered: November 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm from Walnut, CA but my wood pellet stove was shipped from Canada because I like the fact that I can use biomass fuel on it. I'm for renewable energy.

posted Hide Post
I bought a biomass pellet mill. The quality is very goods.

posted Hide Post
Where ya from there wxas? LOL.

Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd T:
I am now working in the biofuels market (R&D). There are a lot of wood pellet plants going up all over the US. I have yet to find one that isn't exporting to Europe. I find it fascinating that the US is now EXPORTING our renewable energy in the form of wood pellets. Cool.

Guess who is one of the biggest distributors of wood pellets in northern Europe? Shell Oil!

Hey... I see this as a good thing. I'm also researching small scale pellet machines along the lines of our home biodiesel production. The cost of a full commercial pellet plant is over $20 Million. But is there a way to make pellets at home?

That said, I feel safety must come first when talking about making domestic heat. That's why waste oil and biodiesel heaters have not been approved for home use yet. The UL committee is working on the standard now but nothing has been approved yet.

I buy a small pellet mill machine and a good starter for making wood pellets from any kind of saw dust, recycled paper, grass, leaves, or any type of biomass. I do without pay for wood pellets, make them for FREE with the small pellet mill at home. Even better make pellet for my friends.
Show my baby picture:Small Pellet Mill for Making Your Own Biomass Pellet Fuel

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jolinshen,

Imagepellet-making.jpg (45 Kb, 5 downloads) pellets making