BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  More Renewable Energy  Hop To Forums  Renewable Energy (Other than Biodiesel & SVO)    Solar Roads - An Revolutionary Idea

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Solar Roads - An Revolutionary Idea
 Login/Join

posted
A solar road sounds great idea having its own advantages and disadvantages. LEDs built into the tops of solar panels placed on highways could move lanes around, create crosswalks, display speed limits and even detect and warn drivers about road hazards like stopped traffic and crossing wildlife. Best of all, the panels could be laid down over existing asphalt.

Though its beneficial to create solar roads but what about the cost. The infrastructure required to build and maintain them. The cost involved for maintaining asphalt road is much less compared to solar roads. Each panel cost approximately $7,000 to build. Also, the durability of the roads is questionable as the roads might have to bear the load of cars, trucks etc. and need some fixing working if accident takes place.

Share your thoughts.

Concernergy :Exploring Ideas of Energy Conservation

Location: CA | Registered: December 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The first time I saw the concept my first though was, at least for my area of the world, will they hold up to road salt and snow plowing?

Probably not, so I'll never see them in WI. I think for a similar amount of money, and probably less, a row of solar panels could just be put between the lanes of the interstate system. All the same power output, none of the concerns with having to drive on them or plow them clear all winter.

Location: Southern WI, USA | Registered: May 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sounds great idea! As far as budget thing is concerned when more minds will come to know about the idea more innovative ideas and strategies will be born and a perfect idea to be implemented can be found.

Location: 222 E Allison Cir, Orange, CA 92869 | Registered: November 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A silly waste of time and money. It's a well known fact that the most effective deployment of PV solar panels is the flat roofs of big buildings all across the sunbelt. The infrastructure is already there.

Location: coldest N.America | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post