Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Our new off-grid home
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
AAHHH - One more thing - You referred to "water storage power", not sure just what you meant by that, sounds like you might be thinking of catching your rain in a huge storage basin and piping it down to a hydro-generator, might work with the amount of rain you get. Do a web search for "micro-hydro" and you will find many types of small water driven generators.

There may be an alternative to using a solar powered water pump, there is an old style device called a "water ram" pump, this has been around for a few hundred years, they are simple mechanical valve pumps that need NO outside power (except flowing water) once started, and can lift water to huge heights. They do need a bit of water pressure (head height) and flow at the pump end to work, This links to a more detailed explanation. The concept is that you start the water column inside the pipe that runs between the pump and the top of the hill pulsating up and down the pipe a few feet, as the water drops down the pipe it gains speed and power, a valve slams shut at the pump and the rebounding water will go several feet FARTHER BACK UP the pipe than the distance it fell down, this water draws in more water at the pump and squirts out some of the water at the top of the pipe, sounds weird but it defiantly works, not fast but runs 24 hours a day with no external power. SO - If you have flowing water at the bottom of the hill you can get it to the top with no electricity. This pump's efficiency calculation is low because the pumps valving lets some water out of the up-hill pipe during each cycle to get the water column accelerating back down the pipe for the next stroke, who cares, it's perpetual motion for real, sorta.

Because of the amount of rain you get, combining the elevated storage basin, the ram pump (for when you have flowing water available below your storage basin), and a micro-hydro generator, you might be able to generate a continuous couple of kilowatts of power, doesn't sound like much but it adds up over time.[/QUOTE]

Location: fisher,illinois,usa | Registered: June 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have seen these lights in person and they are impressive. Juno lighting They are a little costly or I would have purchased a whole house worth. But if you are starting with a fresh house this is the way to go. I have solar on my roof in Florida and you are going to have the same problem I have. There are to many clouds.

You need to atleast have a subsciption to Home Power Magazine as a good start but you probably already do. I have read a lot about microhydro system and if you have enough space you could build two water catches The first one cathces it then runs thought a pipe to the second one at lower elevation and powers the microhydro. That might be more of a project than you are looking for but hydro power is 24/7/365.

Nice picture of the house "way cool"

Robert
In Fort Lauderdale running a 2006 Jeep Liberty CRD 2 veg tanks HOH 2 upgraded greasecar vavles 3/8 fuel line 5/8 heater line HOH Hose wrapped filter. Injector Line heater on the Common Rail. 2nd car 2005 Mercedes CDI, Raw Power fuel pump, 36 gallon veg tank in trunk coolant heated HOH, rubber hose wrapped fuel filter, FPHE, 3 greasecar valves, Common rail line heater.

Location: Ft Lauderdale, FL | Registered: June 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2013 sponsor
posted Hide Post
This has been an interesting thread to read!

I just relocated my chemical company to a section of an old industrial facility withOUT any power, water or sewer. I now am running my business completely off-the-grid. Diesel generators (on grease, of course) for power. Bringing in water for now but hope to incorporate some rainwater collection (big roof areas but no gutters). Designing my own waste water treatment system now. Will also incorporate some solar thermal for process heat, too. Biomass backup heat, too.

Part of my R&D involves gasification of biomass but I don't see running a generator on woodgas anytime soon. Not until I get the filtration nailed. Not going to ruin an engine like some associates have done.

I'd like to incorporate a small solar PV system for lights and a small water pump.

What are your plans for a septic system? I have some friends who use composting toilets and then take advantage of the humanure for the garden.

I've been studying sand filtration as well. Amazing what we can do with nature and a little know-how but rarely hear about in the mainstream. I'm working with another chemist on some bugs for cleaning up my inevitable spills when processing WVO/Bio.

2002 F-250, 7.3l on WVO since '04
'82 VW Rabbit diesel 1.6l na
'83 GMC 6.2l Class C RV
'85 F-350, 6.9l flat bed
'85 E-350, 6.9l cube van
2 Mercedes 300SD's
3 Chinese Changfa-style diesel generators- 12kw, 8kw & 7.5kw
Mitsubishi 3 cyl diesel generator/light tower
Kubota 2 cyl. diesel, water cooled air compressor
Onan 12.5kw air-cooled diesel genset
I run my company entirely on renewable energy including electricity from generators running on biofuels.

Location: El Dorado, Ark | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
It's been far too long since my last update. The house went up in 3 days January 2010. Here are several videos of the Bamboo house resurrection:

This first video is taken at the container that the house was shipped in from Vietnam to Maui

This video is of the house being transported from the shipping container to our property.
Unfortunately we could not have the container delivered to our property because of a too sharp corner in our road:

This video is taken from a hill next to the house where our garden will be:

This is video of putting the walls up:

This is video of putting the last wall up:

This is video of day 2 part one of inner walls up and beginning the roof:

This is day 2 part 2 - more roof:

This is post resurrection video - inside & out

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Shaun,

16 B100 vehicles
13 Bio-Beetle Rentals
Bio-Beetle Eco Rental Cars
3 Recycling trucks
Maui Recycling Service

Now offering the Nissan Leaf all electric car and the Chevy Volt Plugin hybrid electric car.
EV Car Rentals
Forum members get a 10% discount

Location: Maui, Hawaii | Registered: June 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Here are some pictures of our solar pv system, which was installed July 2010.

Our 1.38 kw solar pv system. This will be doubled or tripled in size when we move in. Solar World SW230 panels

Outback Flexpower 3048 inverter and charge controller

16 Interestate L16 deep cycle batteries, 375 Amp hours

16 B100 vehicles
13 Bio-Beetle Rentals
3 Recycling trucks
Maui Recycling Service

Now offering the Nissan Leaf all electric car and the Chevy Volt Plugin hybrid electric car.
EV Car Rentals

Location: Maui, Hawaii | Registered: June 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Going good Shaun-thanks for posting.
Q.Is that a 12 volt battery system?If so you need ~83 amps per kWatt at 12 volts-might need a bit more battery capacity further down the road

Location: UK | Registered: October 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks like two 48 volt strings to me. I believe the outback 3048 is 3000 watts 48 volts.

Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Our solar installer suggested the battery bank size because we plan to triple the system size, which is 1.38kw. I have to admit I don't know what the voltage is.

We are currently having the drywall taped and mudded, which will be done in a couple of days. Then we will paint the walls, paint the floor and install the cabinets and fixtures. Hopefully be living in the house within a couple of months.

Below is the most recent picture of our house, taken in April. The patio on the ground is plastic lumber that was saved from Maui's landfill.

16 B100 vehicles
13 Bio-Beetle Rentals
3 Recycling trucks
Maui Recycling Service

EV Car Rentals

posted Hide Post
That looks stunning

posted Hide Post
Shaun
I visited their web site (solar). I really like the Made in USA emphasis.
I do not see any $$ advertised. Please share some insight on their prices.

David Norwood

2001 F350 7.3 DI purchased new by me and it is the first DI experimented with and talked about on this forum.

Updated 1/2011 Alternative Fuel User Since 2003-vo is always in my fuel. Only one fuel tank. GPI/CIM-TEK spin on filterhead and 10 micron filter. Superchip. Hutch and Harpoon mods 2010. Diesel inline filter between tank and Airtex E2236 fuel pump (rated to 110 psi).Fuel pressure gauge. HOH for fuel line heat from tank to 12v lift pump. Two 12v 36" heaters, one before add on filter and one before OEM filter.

Cool weather mixes updated 2010. 100% vo to 70°. 66% to 35°. 50% to 10°.

Location: Upstate South Carolina , USA | Registered: December 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by taralec:
That looks stunning

Thanks, we're looking forward to our life in this house.

16 B100 vehicles
13 Bio-Beetle Rentals
3 Recycling trucks
Maui Recycling Service

EV Car Rentals

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DN:
Shaun
I visited their web site (solar). I really like the Made in USA emphasis.
I do not see any $$ advertised. Please share some insight on their prices.

We paid $740 per 230 watt panel ($3.22 per watt, not bad for Maui). Our solar installer also lives offgrid, so that was part of the reason we chose him for the job.

16 B100 vehicles
13 Bio-Beetle Rentals
3 Recycling trucks
Maui Recycling Service

EV Car Rentals

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd T:

What are your plans for a septic system? I have some friends who use composting toilets and then take advantage of the humanure for the garden.

Originally we had no plan to install a septic system as we wanted to use composting toilets and use the gray water for irrigation. Unfortunately our State Health Dept. requires a septic system, and they do not even allow the use of gray water, their biggest concern is cooking oil down the drain. So, we put in the smallest septic legally required, the size of the leach field is determined by the number of bedrooms. We have one standard toilet and will put a composting toilet in our second bathroom when we finish it.

16 B100 vehicles
13 Bio-Beetle Rentals
3 Recycling trucks
Maui Recycling Service

EV Car Rentals

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tim c cook:
AAHHH - One more thing - You referred to "water storage power", not sure just what you meant by that, sounds like you might be thinking of catching your rain in a huge storage basin and piping it down to a hydro-generator, might work with the amount of rain you get. Do a web search for "micro-hydro" and you will find many types of small water driven generators.

There may be an alternative to using a solar powered water pump, there is an old style device called a "water ram" pump, this has been around for a few hundred years, they are simple mechanical valve pumps that need NO outside power (except flowing water) once started, and can lift water to huge heights. They do need a bit of water pressure (head height) and flow at the pump end to work, This links to a more detailed explanation. The concept is that you start the water column inside the pipe that runs between the pump and the top of the hill pulsating up and down the pipe a few feet, as the water drops down the pipe it gains speed and power, a valve slams shut at the pump and the rebounding water will go several feet FARTHER BACK UP the pipe than the distance it fell down, this water draws in more water at the pump and squirts out some of the water at the top of the pipe, sounds weird but it defiantly works, not fast but runs 24 hours a day with no external power. SO - If you have flowing water at the bottom of the hill you can get it to the top with no electricity. This pump's efficiency calculation is low because the pumps valving lets some water out of the up-hill pipe during each cycle to get the water column accelerating back down the pipe for the next stroke, who cares, it's perpetual motion for real, sorta.

Because of the amount of rain you get, combining the elevated storage basin, the ram pump (for when you have flowing water available below your storage basin), and a micro-hydro generator, you might be able to generate a continuous couple of kilowatts of power, doesn't sound like much but it adds up over time.

Even tho we installed our solar system and plan on doubling it, I still think about the possibility of micro hydro. I like the idea of the ram pump you mention, thanks for the tip. We would just need to have a large storage at the top of the hill behind the house.

16 B100 vehicles
13 Bio-Beetle Rentals
3 Recycling trucks
Maui Recycling Service

EV Car Rentals

posted Hide Post
quote:
We are currently having the drywall taped and mudded

When I built my house I placed all the drywall pieces and scraps into interior partition walls especially around the woodstove. Drywall is excellent thermal mass plus it wasn't going to the landfill.

Location: coldest N.America | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by john galt:
quote:
We are currently having the drywall taped and mudded

When I built my house I placed all the drywall pieces and scraps into interior partition walls especially around the woodstove. Drywall is excellent thermal mass plus it wasn't going to the landfill.

In hindsight we would have done the same thing. We are composting our drywall scraps.

16 B100 vehicles
13 Bio-Beetle Rentals
3 Recycling trucks
Maui Recycling Service

EV Car Rentals

posted Hide Post
quote:
Drywall is excellent thermal mass

Hey, no kidding on that one. Have you ever had a bunk of drywall delivered straight from the factory? A bunk of 50 1/2" sheets, 4x8ft, had ridden in the back of the flatbed truck from the factory for 2hrs down the highway and when they arrived at the job site they were still too hot to touch without a gloved hand and the center sheets, as we used and exposed them, were still steaming.

Location: Southern WI, USA | Registered: May 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Here's our 20,000 gallon water tank & fire stand pipe. We catch rain water off the roof of the house, which goes thru three Leafeater downspout filters.

With the house

16 B100 vehicles
13 Bio-Beetle Rentals
3 Recycling trucks
Maui Recycling Service

EV Car Rentals

posted Hide Post
Any thoughts on evacuated tubes for solar water heating-though once you have expanded the solar pv,might not be much south facing roof left

posted Hide Post
Evac tubes are very good especially in less than direct sun conditions, but they're very expensive.

Location: coldest N.America | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post