Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home
making your own biomass...

This topic can be found at:

December 12, 2008, 03:13 PM
making your own biomass...
does anyone know anything about creating biomass fuel out of available matirial?

If I have a multifuel stove like a corn burner with an adjitator and combustion blower. What other fuels can I use?

I have heard of useing corn silage, and matirials like that.

Some of the things I'm thinking about are:
Pine needles
Saw dust
Corn silage
Split fire wood

If items like these could be processed to be fed into the firebox would they work alright?

Could they be mixed?

Any thoughts would be helpful.

December 12, 2008, 09:51 PM
Tim c cook
If you have a stove that has all the basic requirements to burn corn it should also burn about any other type of solid flammable material as long as it is processed into similar sized pellets. The ash produced will be somewhat different for each type material but this is more of a stove burner maintanance situation. Green stuff like grass, corn stalks, pine needles etc have a bit higher mineral content than wood or grain so they will produce more ash and clinkers (grain has high starch that also makes more clinkers). Small pellet making machinery is available but the price starts at about $2500.00 on up. Check out website for info and pricing on different models of pellet making machines and accessories.

Have you checked with your local seed corn sellers, old seed corn burns great and is otherwise dumped in landfills so it can usually be bought cheap in bulk as long as you can convince the seed supplier that you will burn it rather than plant it.

If you have a larger furnace it would be possible to burn some types of biomass without pelleting, wood chips burn OK in a pile burner firebox if there moisture contant is below approx 20%.
December 29, 2017, 02:13 AM
Ronny wei
Biomass fuel is usually cylindrical pellets made of biomass materials by pellet mills.

The raw material source is wide: such as sawdust, wood shaving, wood chips, rice husk, rice straw, maize straw, cotton stalk, peanut shell, corncob, grass, leaves, small branches, alfalfa, efb, even waste paper, plastic, cow dung.

So the materials you mentioned, such as Pine needles, Saw dust, Corn silage, Split fire wood can be used as biomass fuel.

But you'd better not feed raw materials directly into a stove, or they may cause a lot of smoke. You need a small pellet mill to make them into wood pellets.

These materials can be mixed to make pellets. But you need to pre-process them before feeding them into the pellet mill. You need a dryer to lower the moisture content to 10%-20%, and a hammer mill to cut the materials into sizes under 5mm. Then you use these materials to make pellet fuel.
February 19, 2018, 03:51 AM
Looking for small scale examples of BTL