BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel Connections  Hop To Forums  Canada Biodiesel    New Brunswick Biodiesel
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Brunswick Biodiesel
 Login/Join

posted
Is there anyone doing BD in NB from Perth Andover to Edmundson?

Location: Caribou ME | Registered: October 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am just looking at it right now...But I am on The North shore....Dalhousie region...

Started collecting oil and setting up my work area.

Found NaOH in NS and Methonol from Irving...NaOH is resonable...but I find the Methonol is expensive...But still looking.

Let you know how I make out.

Steve

Location: New Brunswick | Registered: May 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey guy's,

I am just starting too in Fredericton. I got my Methanol in Houlton for $288 plus border taxes but Lye looks to be a problem. Where are you getting your Lye and how much? I bought a 40Gal processor from EZBiodiesel out of California.

posted Hide Post
hi there

im from the bathurst region. i started making bio lately. im still in the process of getting my equipment. i found the naoh at the home hardware, its something like 25$ tax included for a 3kg. hope that helps.

glad to know there are some other people in nb trying to make bio

Location: bathurst nb | Registered: June 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey Pitrisss, yeah I guess there are a few starting to get around. I to bought the NAOH from Home hardware. Are the quantities the same when you titrate? Just wondering because that stuff is crystal and not flake?

posted Hide Post
yes Jeff it is the same. if i am not mistaken Naoh is crystal and Koh is flake.

have you made some biodiesel so far. i made 30 liters. My tdi jetta seemed to enjoy it.

Location: bathurst nb | Registered: June 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Hey Pitrisss, I one batch and had an emulsion. To aggressive bubbling I think. I am trying another one tonight ( fingers crossed ). I know it'll all work out as long as I do it by the numbers. Jeff.

posted Hide Post
Been running on liquid gold for about 6 weeks now. I've got another good batch to bubble tonight. I'm pretty happy with the results so far. I am having trouble getting Methanol and good flake Lye though. Any ideas? My home email is sherjeff@nb.sympatico.ca, thanks.

posted Hide Post
In the Saint John area, haven't gotten past the research phase yet, trying to find a feedstock source at the moment, but I have found a source for NaOH. See if there is a boiler chemical co. in your area, if they custom mix the boiler treatments for their customers, they will have it on hand, and at a high purity level. The folks at the Saint John area outfit are real friendly types, (it is about a 5 or 6 person office), and they will supply a couple of 205 liter plastic drums (MT), if I need them.

posted Hide Post
Hey JW, thanks, can you send the name and info for the Saint John area outfit please. Thanks.

posted Hide Post
It is Donovan Chemicals, in Saint John (make sure you contact the boiler treatment folks, not the cleaning chemical outfit of a similar name). Not trying to discourage you, but I deal with them through my job and have gotten to know them somewhat, so how they will respond to a cold call I can't say, but I can say they seem like real nice folks, and the worst case scenario is a no but I would be kind of surprised if they did. Tell them what you want it for, and be prepared to back it up (pics of a processer or some such) because I have been told NaOH is an ingredient for meth.

posted Hide Post
Thanks JW, I called them and they have what I need and are willing to sell with no problem. The Methanol is a little crazy though. I just got 2 barrels from Maine for $210 a piece. He wants $730???? Lye is a good price though. Jeff.

posted Hide Post
Hey All - Just moved back east from out west. I was working with a group out there to get some bio on the go but ran into regulatory obsticles. Just wondering who is making in the Saint John area if they are up for a partner in crime. I would like to know where to ge tthe methanol in the US for sure. ITs pricey here.

Thanks

Location: Saint John | Registered: September 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
DC racing in Houlton Maine, they are about $288 + taxes and then over the border taxes. Still just above three bills though. Jeff.

posted Hide Post
Note to Jeff Hogg, how are you progressing? I have the material for test batches, just waiting for the scale I ordered to arrive, and hopefully I won't have to post on the 'what-went-wrong section'
FYI, the outfit I ordered scale from is Canadian Weigh (on line), CAD prices, cheaper than e-bay, and no customs hassles. Will let you all know the details when it arrives.

posted Hide Post
Going pretty good. Have not been to the pumps for about three months now and loving it. I seem to get a lot of Glycerin from my oil though. Out of a 40 Gal heated batch, I get usually about 33-34 Gal of Bio. Seems like a lot of waste but hey it's still all good.

posted Hide Post
A little delay in this reply, but I got the scale I ordered, should have paid more attention to the add, it is what I would call a pocket scale, it is only about 5" X 5", but it seems accurate and works as advertised, so for $10, not to bad. I can't complain about the company, they shipped it in a timely fashion, and it was not misleadingly advertised, I just didn't read far enough to see the size, so they might be an outfit to keep in mind.
Just passing the info on, I don't have any connection with them except customer.

posted Hide Post
So I had my first gel up with my 06 F-250 Diesel truck. I had about a 50/50 mix though with an anti-Gel so I was suprised that my filters got gummed up. Worth getting some extra filters off Ebay and having on hand too! It'll save you a fortune.

Anyone have recommendations on how to mix for our climate? Jeff.

posted Hide Post
Hey Jeff,
I'm getting set up here in Fredericton soon and trying to source methanol and KOH. Did you ever find any local suppliers?
Aaron

posted Hide Post
Hey NB biodieselers, I have been gone for a year with the military but am back now. Any other home brewers in the Fredericton area?

3000ltrs and going