BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel Connections  Hop To Forums  Canada Biodiesel    Biodiesel in Halifax, Nova Scotia
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Biodiesel in Halifax, Nova Scotia
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
good morning, This Is Harry in Moncton new Brunswick. I have been using Biodiesel in my furnace this season, Normally my heating oil bill is $1500 so you can understand why I am trying to burn biodiesel, I also am experimenting with SVO but no success yet, I have assembled and dissassembled my burner so many times (Becket) That I can swap a nozzle in twenty minutes, and rebuild a pump in fifteen. WOLF I have also had problems with jelling but try mixing longer, dont give up, Cheers all God Bless Harry

posted Hide Post
Hi Peter, I don't know if this message will get 2 U as the post is a tad old. how ever I was wondering how much progress U have made since U made this post. I am in the Musquodoboit Valley area and have a 40 gal BD processor.

Churchie

Location: Musquodoboit Valley | Registered: September 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm in Meteghan NS (close to Yarmouth) and plan on probably setting up an appleseed processor.
You can pickup old water heaters just about anywhere. The piping and pump would be cheap enough. Just will need to set up a filtration unit for using used veggie oil. Plan on setting up a 3 stage filter. Might use clothes dryer screens but replace the mesh with something smaller on the 2nd and 3rd.

Location: St. Alphonse | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mavkain,
Thank U 4 responding 2 my post. I/we R on our 3rd batch. Things R working good. Now running my Jetta 01 TDI in B-50 and my furnace as well. Car works good and not problems with the furnaces as of this post. Just purchased a hydrometer 4 measuring the finished product. Only had one low reading. Re did that batch and the hydrometer sank like a rock. ( Lol ) Churchie 10 - 7

Location: Musquodoboit Valley | Registered: September 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Churchie,

I'm located in Cape Breton. I've been making bio diesel since last March. Almost 2000 litres since then. I use a lot of it in my 03 Dodge Ram(Cummins Diesel), 06 VW Jetta TDI, 88 Kubota, and 88 Ford tractors. I've been getting along great. I'm curious where you've been getting your methanol and NaOH? So far, the best price I've found for both is Home Hardware. Most of the bulk dealers want almost double. Doesn't make sense.

Cheers
Donnie
cordon@eastlink.ca

Location: Cape Breton, Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: April 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Donnie,

What product specifically are you using for your methanol and NaOH that you get from Home Hardware? I am looking to try my first batch and want to make sure I am using the right stuff.

posted Hide Post
Hi. I've started producing bioDiesel from WVO collected from a bunch of restaurants in HRM. I'm located in Chezzetcook and would welcome hooking up with producers/users in Halifax.I'm using the www.greenworldbiofuels.com processor.
Mike

posted Hide Post
Mike - Nice to see you up and running! Any chance for a tour?

Cheers,

John

Location: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: July 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hello Everyone!

I know this thread is quite old, but I am looking for anyone who might be producing in Nova Scotia. Specifically in Halifax or Valley areas, but I can travel. I'm looking for more information and to run my Jetta TDI on biodiesel.

Thanks!

Steve

posted Hide Post
@ Steve K, Re Bio Fuel for your VW, Steve I am not making Bio fuel at this time but if U have a Question(s) I may B able to give U an answer.
Churchie Smile

posted Hide Post
Not much activity in Halifax that I know of. Wilson's isn't selling any locally. MBP of Halifax is now selling the Ocean Nutrition By-product esters to Europe by using Wilson's Barrington St. pipeline to load vessels in Halifax Harbour.

SF Rendering in not producing biodiesel in Port Williams right now because the WVO has more value in the animal feed market.

Maritime Biofuels has suspended biodiesel production as well becuse the cost of WVO and conversion doesn't work for them either.

You might try to look up Ian MacHattie of Onslow, NS. He used to make small-scale batches...

Cheers,

Location: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: July 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post