BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel Connections  Hop To Forums  Canada Biodiesel    a list of all ontario members!
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

a list of all ontario members!
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Joe,

Thanks for replying. I'm gathering the material needed for my processor. I'm thinking of making the GL Eco processor with a John Wood 60 Imp. gallon water heater with a 1/2 HP 640 gallon clear water centrifugal pump. The tank's big, but I got it cheap and it has a bottom cold water inlet and drain port. I'm hoping to make a hybrid GL Eco/Upside Down Appleseed processor with option to recover methanol from the glycerine/bio. It's a bit daunting as I've only made small one litre batches. My first 10 litre batch emusified during washing, now settling to see if it will clear up.

With your experiance, it will be a great help in understanding the process. What is your experiance with handling the methoxide and keeping everything air tight? Any help will be appricated.

Thanks Joe

Kevin

posted Hide Post
Kevin,
Sounds like you have a good start. As far as the methoxide, I use a large container and mix my meth with Naoh or KOH outdoors. the container has a small air hole for pressure release/relief. I close it most of the time. When I introduce it to the oil, I open the small release so air can get in so it flows. A slow introduction time is good - like a trickle so that it takes about 30 minutes to complete. After that, the pressure relief valve on the tank is all there is in case anything wants to blow. This valve is vented directly to the outside of the building. I haven't done a full batch demeth yet to distill the meth but plan on doing this when my set-up is ready. I'm working this week on cleaning all of my equipment and re-plumbing everything. I'll be using hardwood chips to filter and use no water. I found water washing to be a hugh pain in the neck. My trials with sawdust was fantastic and I'm hoping the woodchips are as good. I have about 1500 to 2000 litres of oil to process so once I get going, I'll be pretty busy. Let me know if you have questions. If I don't know the answer, I can usually point you in the right direction.
Joe

Location: Peterborough | Registered: May 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Joe,

I see your post on using sawdust to dry the oil. Do you have any picture/diagram of your processors. A few things I want to add is a fail safe timer and a digital thermostat to ensure there are no accidental contact of the heating element with the methanol vapour. As well, I want to see if there is a way to make a close loop system where there will be no/minimal release of methanol/methoxide into the air during the mixing process and during the glycerine draining stage. Looking forward to seeing the completed processors.

I've tried emailing Graham Laming, but I know he's probably quite busy or may not be involve with Biodiesel anymore.

Thanks Joe.

Kevin
kevinduong@hotmail.com

posted Hide Post
Kevin,
I tried sawdust just for the heck of it with a small test sample I made. I shook it too vigourously and it didn't want to separate. So I cut the bottom out of a 2 litre pop bottle and filled it with poplar sawdust. Then I poured the BD in and put the cap part of the bottle on top of another bottle to let it drain into. The next day I had beautiful BD that passed all my tests. Just had to filter it. However, I will be using wood chips from a maple tree for my large process. I'm going try whole batch demeth after processing and then go directly into the wood chips. From there I will filter it into a settling barrel hopefully, through another final filter, into the car.
For minimal methoxide fumes, I process in a closed system, with the heating element well below the oil so it can't come into contact with fumes. I stay with my processor while I run the heater (good reading time or work on other projects). Then when I'm ready to distill, I just change valving to go through the still portion and heat. I don't release pressure until I think I have as much meth out as possible and it goes straight out of the shed through tubing.
The barrel I use for wood chips is a typical metal barrel with a drain on the bottom. I put a stainless steel bridging about 4 to 6 inches in from the bottom and a number 80 mesh stainless steel mesh on top of that. Then all the wood chips are stuffed in on top of that. The BD is put in at the top and after a day or so, I drain the BD. I use the glycerin for soap so that's drained first. Anyway, I have no pictures yet. After this weekend I hope to be ready for this seasons batches and will get some pictures.
Joe

Location: Peterborough | Registered: May 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Joe,

What is the typical batch size do you do? My feedstock supplier is only 20L a week. I'm thinking of doing small batches every week with a small 6 imp. gallon (7.2 us gallon) processor. What's your though on that? That way everything is scale down and managable. I do see the benefit of one time large 200 to 300L batches as you would only do it once every few months or season, but I'm bit concern of the disposal of the bi-product glycerine and handling gallons and gallons of methoxide. When you say cleaning your equipment, how often do we need to clean the processor/wash tanks. What's the best method, simply washing with detergent? Hope that's not too many questions. Thanks Joe.

Kevin

posted Hide Post
Hi Kevin,
Previously, I did 30 gallon batches in an Apple Turnover system. I haven't started with my new system yet but have the capability of doing several hundred gallons if I want. I'll stick to smaller batches when I start like 30 gallons. I think smaller is better at first anyway.
For disposal, if you have just glycerin, the dump should take it as a natural product providing you have demethed it (which you really do need to do). I'd save it and use it as a degreaser; it's 75% soap. In fact, I make soap out of mine. As far as my equipment goes, I don't clean anything but the outsides on a regular basis. I use my glycerin for this with hot water. I also use kitty litter for spills. Inside the equipment shouldn't need cleaning unless you have any sludge in your oil collection containers. Then, I'd scrape out anything big enough to need it and then maybe some BD. I wouldn't want to contaminate it with a soap and water solution. All of my tanks have bottom drains for total draining to get rid of anything I think I need to get rid of.
For methanol fumes etc., Graham Lamings system if great. You should be able to modify your system to do the same thing. I'd like to see your set-up and maybe we can exchange info and ideas. Let me know.
Joe

posted Hide Post
Joe,

My second 10L batch of biodiesel have proven to be another failure. Perhaps it's a result of heavily used feedstock oil or the lack of a properly setup processor/processing procedures. I don't usually give up that easily, but the unsuccessful trial batches and handling of the methanol/methoxide is giving me second thoughs about scaling up the process to produce 40 to 60 gallon at a time. Do you know anyone who have successfully run their newer TDI diesel with SVO/WVO? Since I do have the equipment to start heating/filtering the oil, that may be a way of utilizing my current WVO supplier yet not having to worry about the caustic/dangerous chemicals.

Any thoughs on WVO or SVO?

Kevin

posted Hide Post
Too bad about your recent failure on 10L. What exactly is your process? Maybe there is something missing or different that could be corrected. You are right, though, to stick to small batches before doing anything larger. I started off with really bad oil and it seemed to take forever to get it right. I finally discarded all the junk oil and things started going right. I just finished transfering half of my oil from 4 gallon cubies to 50 gallon tanks - four tanks, now. I still have another 200 to go but will have to process some BD to get room. I had to make a cover for all the cubiers to keep the raccoons and bears out of it and I'm ony 20 miles north of Peterborough!
I haven't tried SVO but have thought about it. I think all that's needed is to filter the oil very well and have a heater system for the SVO in the car. My TDI is a 2001 so I don't know about the newer ones.

posted Hide Post
Joe,

I have a 2003 tdi golf and the same engine as yours. I have oil that titrate at 7.9 g/L using NaOH, so I've used 12.9g/L of oil. For now, I've been making my batches from 16 L cubie from the original oil containers. I first heat the oil with a pot to 55C, then transfer over to the cubie. I then add the premixed methoxide and mixed for 15 to 20 minute by rocking and shaking the closed container. I allow the mixture to settle for 2 days then drain off the top oil to a 5 gallon bucket. I pour warm water in slower and tried to bubble wash with an aquarium bubbler, but I try to to pour more water, the mixture turned to milky brown.

I must admit the transfer of settled oil over to the bucket warries me because there may still be a fair amount of methanol and potential methoxide remaining in the oil. With warm water and continuous bubbling may release more methonal from the oil. For the past few days, I've left the oil out in the open to allow the sun/heat to slowly settle the soup and methanol off. My shed is only 50ft away from the back of my house, and at the moment is not wire with power. To continue, I may need to upgrade the shed/power/equipment. Anyhoo, if you're done with your new setup and have picture, I wouldn't mind seeing it.

I havent completely given up hope just yet. I still have 2 L of methoxide left so I can still do another 10 L batch. Anyhow, keep me updated on your progress.

Kevin

posted Hide Post
I am in Aylmer, Ontario, thats 30 minutes southeast of London and I have collected 75gals of WVO so far. I am about ready to start doing some test batches. I would like to find someone in the London area that knows what they are doing and get together. I have a 2000 gold tdi.

bob mutch
bobmutch@gmail.com
519-666-6666

posted Hide Post
Hello,
I am in Ontario and would love to share opinions and views as relating to Biodiesel, WVO and Glycerine with other memebers.
I will appreciate response as regarding this topics! My main interests are Crude Glycerine and WVO.

Location: Yes | Registered: April 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 85BJ60:
it would be nice to have a list of all ontario members and guests who are into or considering bio-diesel and svo as a alternate fuel!!! how about it folks! would be an easy way of communicating among us! i'll start first, looking into this alternate fuel and wishing to get it off the ground! i'm from the northbay area! thanks!

I would appreciate contacts from any members who can source me large quantity of WVO and Crude Glycerine. I am an agent to source these products for large end users.

Location: Yes | Registered: April 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post