BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel Connections  Hop To Forums  Canada Biodiesel    a list of all ontario members!
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

a list of all ontario members!
 Login/Join

posted
it would be nice to have a list of all ontario members and guests who are into or considering bio-diesel and svo as a alternate fuel!!! how about it folks! would be an easy way of communicating among us! i'll start first, looking into this alternate fuel and wishing to get it off the ground! i'm from the northbay area! thanks!

Location: northbay, ontario,canada | Registered: August 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If we could find out how many people would be seriuos about this kind of project we could get an association together that would help with
discussion to government, and farmers associations.

I have access to 60l of canola wvo from the steakhouse beside where I work. I wouldn't mind stockpiling but still working on the business plan.

Location: Thunder Bay, ON Canada | Registered: May 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
doug,
i know i'm a junior to you and others but i have been looking into this for a short while now. i have to my disposal at work a chemist and a chemistry engineer. the chemist and i tinkered with it before 'til i encountered a methanol availability! by the way, we make ethanol at my plant and possibly could get some methanol there but i have to contact excise canada. i haven't been able to yet. this methanol has a lot of ethanol in it which creates the situation of contacting excise canada! i also located a wvo for now but i'll probably need more contacts in the future. thanks for replying! anyone else from ontario??????

Location: northbay, ontario,canada | Registered: August 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi guy's ,I too make home grown fuel ( bio-diesel). My farm is just a stones throw east of Ottawa.Theres lots of WVO to be had for free. This year we are looking at using biodiesel as a fuel for a hydronic heating system . I have a diesel pickup ,and a gasoline car . our tractor is also a diesel machine .We are also going to try and make of own ethanol and run that in our gasoline engine.We've done a couple small test runs (60 gallons ) and with only a small carburator modificatin it works just like gasoline. Cost of the first batch was only $0.08/litre (not counting my time ) or the cost of building the still .

Location: Cumberland Ontario Canada | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Within the next couple of weeks at least one of my 2 old diesel Jettas will be on the road. I have already aquired a reliable source of free WVO, as well as a backup supply. I also know where I can get Lye and possibly methanol. My problem is with having somewhere to do my "refining" as I have no garage. In the opinion of those who have done this how dangerous would it be to do this indoors? I only plan to mix up batches of 5 gallons at a time.
Also, in your experience, what does the cost per litre end up being (assuming free WVO). I've read different reports on the web reporting anywhere from .50 US per gallon to .75 per litre, a huge difference Confused

Location: Southwestern Ontario, Canada | Registered: October 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gary, I see you have just registered onto the forum. Welcome to the wonderful world of BioDiesel.

Making Biodiesel is about as dangerous as crossing the road. You can be killed straight away if you are not careful, but lots of people (Even very dumb people) do it every day of the week with no problems.

Have you made any BioDiesel yet? If you haven't I STRONGLY advise that you make some one litre test batches. The Dr Pepper Technique (pat pend) is an excellent way to start. It is nearly fool-proof and because you do it in a clear bottle, you can see what is happening and how things work.

I assume you have already looked at the "Making Biodiesel" and "General Biodiesel Discussion" sections of the forum, but if you have not, Take a lot of time going thru these sections.

The main danger with making BioDiesel in your house is the methanol fumes. When you mix methanol and NaOH (lye) it generates heat, and some of the methanol evaporates. Methanol fumes are TOXIC and FLAMABLE and not good in the house at all.

I do a lot of BioDiesel mixing in my house, but I mix the methanol/NaOH in a WELL VENTELATED room with the door shut to the rest of the house.

When I make the BioDiesel, I only do small batches using the Dr Pepper Technique so there is no chance of a spark that will cause an explosion.

As you are entering winter in Canada, what could be cosier than you sitting in a nice warm living room with a drink at your side while you and you "Significant Other" making fuel for your car.

Cost for materials in Australian money is around 20 cents per litre, which I suspect is much the same in Canada.

Tilly SBC/IBA The caring cartel Cool :coo

Location: ลึก ประเทศอินเดีย | Registered: March 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Hi I just found out about this web site and I would like to chat with some people with experiance on making BioD

Location: Englehart, Ontario | Registered: March 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
HI, I'm in ontario near Toronto. I have been making biodiesel now for about 2 years. Nostly I get bad oil. I'm trying to find a nice supplier of canola. Ya I know aren't we ALL Smile

Jamie

Location: st.catharines | Registered: March 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jamiefromontario:
HI, I'm in ontario near Toronto. I have been making biodiesel now for about 2 years. Nostly I get bad oil. I'm trying to find a nice supplier of canola. Ya I know aren't we ALL Smile

Jamie

Are you not really closer to and basically sitting on top of Niagara Falls?
Step by step. Slowly they turned.... NIAGARA FALLS!
LOL! Big Grin Wink Big Grin

posted Hide Post
85BJ60,

Hey! I'm very interested to know how biodiesel is working in your BJ60 (I'm assuming that is the kind of vehicle you own!), I have a 1983 BJ60, and I have been looking for someone who has already experimented. Did you have to replace many fuel components? How many miles do you have on Biodiesel? I'd like to keep in touch, so that we could compare notes. My email is tylerigoertzen@yahoo.com Thanks in advance!!

Tyler

Life is way to short to do everything

Location: Northern Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: April 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am currently considering making a test batch and trying it in my Ford. It isn't on the road right now, or likely to be again, unless someone wants to buy it? Body is shot but the rest of the truck is great. DVA says drain cleaner is basically lye, I can try a liter of unused oil from the grocery store, any suggestions on where to get a small amount of methanol?

97 GMC C3500 crew cab dually with 6.5 turbo diesel
86 Ford F250 reg. cab with normally aspirated 6.9 diesel

Location: Guelph, Ontario, Canada | Registered: May 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looked around and found out that methyl hydrate is the same thing. Available at Home Hardware, Canadian Tire, Home Depot and anywhere that sells paint.
Going to re-read Tilly's post on the Dr Pepper method, then make a trip to the hardware store.

97 GMC C3500 crew cab dually with 6.5 turbo diesel
86 Ford F250 reg. cab with normally aspirated 6.9 diesel

Location: Guelph, Ontario, Canada | Registered: May 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
HI all, Im new to BioD but got a bit of info so far, any more would be appreciated.

I live in Wasaga Beach Ont work IN windsor. Also I have a few farmer friends that grow wheat! Is that usable?
Gary Eek

Location: Wasaga Beach Ontario Canada | Registered: July 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Guys,

Some know my posts, sometimes I am a bit critical and cynical, but mostly I have a great sense of humor as most Cannucks do, otherwise would wouldn't survive our winters.

Here's the deal;

We do need a to get together.

I love our international friends, but lets face it, we have to be strong at home.

Within the next year, my company will be incorporated. I am on a government program and from what I see, I am the only one on this board that covers northwestern Ontario.

The guys I see, like Trev, Jamie, northbay, niagara etc, we need to get together. All of us must have something to contribute.

I can't spend too much time putting together an association for us as I have to work on my local chapter here.

I have also linked up with the Green Party and other locals. Biodiesel is like oil in 1890. If we do not start now, we miss the boat.

Are any other Ontarian or other province guys actually running or going to run a business? If so, an alliance or informal corporation we could start and once we have a general meeting we could form a parent company, this way our own companies would be protected, like a cooperative.

Any comments?

Location: Thunder Bay, ON Canada | Registered: May 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just discovered this thread, been on the site for about 3 months. I guess I should log in and start building a contact base in Ontario.

Good to see that not all of us are satisfied to follow the status quo!!!

Just started my experiments on SVO (unqualified disaster) this weekend on my home heating requirements (see my trials and tribs in "making biodiesel") and will be doing my first Bio test within the next week for my vehicles.

Dave...yes I do have alterior motives. Having owned and operated my own various companies over the last 35 years my entrepreneurial tendanacies have been stirred once again. Have always been interested in alternate fuels for power generation (mostly because contrary to popular opinion most entrepeneurs spend most of thier lives broke) and have a good grounding in internal combustion and turbines.

If you are interested contact me by email and maybe we can find some common ground.

Bill

"due to mass apathy...tomorrow will be cancelled"

Location: Manotick, Ontario Canada | Registered: July 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bill, your email link is missing.

Where is manioke ?

posted Hide Post
Doug:

Just checked my profile and everything seems in order. Maybe I made a mistake...still not really sure what I'm doing when it comes to this internet thing but I think I registered right.

None the less, my email is w.mcd@sympatico.ca

Bill

Location: Manotick, Ontario Canada | Registered: July 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
manotick is south of ottawa. welcome aboard everyone. i've been away for awhile and no i haven't made my first batch yet! keep the list growing and eventually we might form a good base for a knowledgeable ontario group.
thx,
85BJ60

posted Hide Post
Another Bill just south of Ottawa. Muffy in Cumberland. The only way you can make bioD for 8 cents/litre is to steal one of the ingredients. My calculations suggest 0.08/litre for methanol, 0.07/litre for lye, and next to nothing for acid if so inclined to go that route. These figures are based on the best prices of bulk supplies I could find anywhere! My search continues. One of these days, Muffy, we'll get to meet.

Cheers

PS: Just to clarify, my per litre references mean per liter of biodiesel, not for each litre of methanol and lye. Oops

Location: a little south of Ottawa Canada | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've only just recently become interested in biodiesel and wvo, and I'm thinking of getting a diesel in the summer to tinker with (probably to make a two-tank system for wvo, but I'm not sure). I'm interested in getting in touch with someone in the Guelph-K-W-Cambridge area with experience in these areas as a "mentor." Razz

It's exciting to know that there's this many people working away in this area - gives me some hope for the world.

Chris

Location: Guelph | Registered: January 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post