BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel Connections  Hop To Forums  Canada Biodiesel    biodiesel co-generation hang out
Page 1 ... 41 42 43 44 45 

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

biodiesel co-generation hang out
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
WOW!
Dave, please feel free to ship all your diesel cars here (and the spares as well). Those old Stanadyne DB2s are getting harder and harder to find.
Wouldn't Londoners want electric cars? I would here, at least for the summer.

"I don't work with collectives. I don't consult, I don't co-operate, I don't collaborate."
Howard Roark

Location: Calumet, Michigan, Great White North | Registered: January 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Those dozers may be official, Ive seen a few old ones growing out of the ground here and they must be protected since no one touches them.

dva

that could get interesting for the diesel. I have to watch that, see what happens.

21 years off the grid and counting

Location: Muskoka, Ont, Can | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
On the battery front Tesla has some thing for home storage

http://fortune.com/2015/05/06/...-tesla-home-battery/

Location: Muskoka, Ont, Can | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dualfuel, Those diesel vehicles are no good for you, they only drive on the left of the road. We could use them here in South Africa, that is until we change to driving on the right of the road. Soon I believe, our government have decided to do that in stages, first the taxis and buses, then all the others that are left, that's right.Confused Jim.

Location: Cape Town | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some RHD vehicles can be trained to drive on the right side of the road, others can never master it and remain confused. Often the biggest problem is the insurance company.

Location: coldest N.America | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Boys, Boys...lets not forget rural route mail delivery...just show up at the post office about 9:30 am ish, and you will see a plethora of right hand drive Subarus and Jeeps.

"I don't work with collectives. I don't consult, I don't co-operate, I don't collaborate."
Howard Roark

Location: Calumet, Michigan, Great White North | Registered: January 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Don't forget Toyota.

put some time into that one keeping it running

posted Hide Post

https://www.flickr.com/photos/...41@N05/shares/cTBYop

I was making filter boxes out of Dacron baghouse filters all day. Gonna start straining and filtering raw oil for the DD353 project...
I will be damned if I can figure out how to post this stupid picture of the filters...but hey...I am the fuel guy not the audio visual guy.
BTW..its snowing here.

Howard Roark

posted Hide Post
You are correct dualfuel,

quote:
Originally posted by dualfuel:
Boys, Boys...lets not forget rural route mail delivery...just show up at the post office about 9:30 am ish, and you will see a plethora of right hand drive Subarus and Jeeps.
I just went down to the Post office and every vehicle there had the steering wheel on the Right hand side. Wink

I see it has snowed quite a bit in Mount Baw Baw

Location: ลึก ประเทศอินเดีย | Registered: March 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I was making filter boxes out of Dacron baghouse filters all day. Gonna start straining and filtering raw oil for the DD353 project...

If the UVO first goes through bugscreen then into an upflow settling barrel, then the downstream filters will last much longer, ie. years.

ImageVOcleaner.jpg (43 Kb, 7 downloads) cold upflow

Location: coldest N.America | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
originally posted by dualfuel

BTW..its snowing here

Nothing this side of the lake which is good imo. Our run off this year was low, no flooding to speak of. It's setting us up for a long dry summer this year. I'm in the process of getting a 22ov inverter for the well. not a whole lot in Canada but lots in the States, some with remotes, I think I like that idea so the inverter isn't on full time.

posted Hide Post
Thanks John!
I was looking at making a screen trough to rest the cubes in while they drain...it will have to be fairly big...perhaps a 250 gallon oil tank cut in half, and the a trough in each half.

Ya know....(caution! armchair speculation ahead!) I suppose the first screening should be to get the chunks out of the water/oil cubes. Next would be needed, a BA (Big Ass) Sep Funnel. I am lucky, in that I get mostly neat oil, but there is one place...gravy! Yuck! I suppose I can cheerfully let their oil sit for a while...
I think I would like a settling trailer...then I could spread the gravy in the bush when the tank is full. Right now I use 55gallon barrels with lids, and just tip them over on the trail...so far no bears or coons...the neighbor, kills everything, so I am unscathed.

Ok back to the screen trough...I was wondering how to sew the screen...stainless thread in the sewing machine? How do I ask the right questions on Google? Not sure how screen is sold. Is it mesh size?

I thought I would staple the screen to a wooden frame, then screw wooden clamping strips over the staples.
I would like to use expanded metal to support the screen. I suppose I could weld an expanded metal trough and lay the screen and trough inside the fuel tank half.
I guess the first step is to go round up the expanded metal and the screening rolls.

Tilly..... Smile

Howard Roark

posted Hide Post
I've got a fairly simple compact system for processing UVO I collect in cubies.
A 2x2 wood frame with bugscreen stapled to it rests on top of the 10 gallon upflow input barrel. Oil is poured from the cubie resting on the frame, through the bugscreen into the barrel till it starts to run cruddy, then the remaining oil and sludge is shaken in the cubie to mix and loosen the sludge, then upended over an old galvanized washtub of full of chainsaw sawdust. The input barrel takes two cubies of oil, and then I go off to do other things while it slowly runs through the upflow system, through the intermediate filter and into the storage barrel. A valve on the output of the upflow barrel is set for about 5 gal/hr.

The sludge/sawdust mix is packed into 1/2 gal cardboard milk containers with a garden trowel, stacked into empty cubie boxes and stacked in the woodshed with the split wood. Any used crankcase oil or gear oil is mixed in with the sawdust/sludge. The plastic jug is pulled, the cubie box flattened, folded and packed into an empty cubie box and stacked in the woodshed. The oil soaked cubie boxes make excellent fire starter, and a 1/2 gal of oil/sludge sawdust on the morning fire brings the temperature of the stove up quickly on cold mornings.

The clearest, cleanest, driest UVO is cut with diesel/heating-oil/kerosene/petrol and used as motor fuel, and the cubie boxes, sludge and sawdust are heating fuel. The plastic jugs are recycled. The recyclers get good money for the HDPE plastic and gladly take all I bring.

Some of the UVO is also made into biodiesel that's added to the motor fuel blend. Since 2007 it's been an efficient fuel processing system that heats the house and fuels the trucks.

posted Hide Post
Hi dualfuel,

quote:

I think I would like a settling trailer...then I could spread the gravy in the bush when the tank is full. Right now I use 55gallon barrels with lids, and just tip them over on the trail...so far no bears or coons...the neighbor, kills everything, so I am unscathed.

Ok back to the screen trough...I was wondering how to sew the screen...stainless thread in the sewing machine? How do I ask the right questions on Google? Not sure how screen is sold. Is it mesh size?

I thought I would staple the screen to a wooden frame, then screw wooden clamping strips over the staples.
I would like to use expanded metal to support the screen. I suppose I could weld an expanded metal trough and lay the screen and trough inside the fuel tank half.
I guess the first step is to go round up the expanded metal and the screening rolls.

Tilly..... Smile
I collect my oil in 20 litre closed top metal drums.

I allow these to sit for a few weeks before I carefully pour the contents into a 205 litre open-top metal drum.
When "gunk" starts coming out of the 20 litre drum, I stop pouring into the 205 litre drum and drain the rest into into 20 litre open top metal pails.

When these 20 litre pails are full and settled I use a 2 litre "dipper" to remove the good oil and leave the "gunk" in the bottom.
Eventually these pails fill up with "gunk" and I dispose of them.

When the 205 litre open top drum is full of WVO, I pump the contents into 205 litre closed top drums, screw the top down tight and leave it to sit until required for use.
Presently my oil sits for about 2 years in the closed top drums before it is used.

After 2 years, the oil in the closed top drums is bright and clear and I performe no further processing before I use it to either make biodiesel or mix into biodiesel as SVO.
I normally mix about 25%- 30% SVO into my biodiesel during the summer and run straight biodiesel in the winter.

Considering the biodiesel I am presently using was made about 16 months ago, I was still a young man when I collected the Veg oil it is made from.

So far, bears and coons have not been a problem although Wombats and Echidnas are another story Wink

Location: ลึก ประเทศอินเดีย | Registered: March 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Echidnas

OMG Tilly! And I suppose you wear flip flops...at least our version has the decency to eat tree canopy, and sort of waddle away when it sees me...

Howard Roark

posted Hide Post
John,
I suspect I will come up with something fairly similar to what you have going. I will diverge at the point of saving the gravy for fire starter...better to dump the whole mass, in the bush and move along.
I do like the up-flow filtering idea.
My troughs will have to contain more cubes, inorder to be able to work through the vast expanse of them.

I was fooling with the notion of cracking the cubes in a thermal cracker to make gasoline and diesel...they are actually doing that in Syria, behind the blockades. I just run out of time too quickly to work on that project, especially with oil being delivered faster than I can deal with it...so I have gone from a reluctant hobbyist to full time oil mogul. Now, if I had the ruthlessness of a Russian I could make some money at this.

Right now, I pour settled cubes through a screen strainer (fine mesh) into 5 gallon pails while running a hydraulic pump (Vickers Vane), sucking the pail empty, while filling the processor. I am limited to 10 cubes at a crack, because of the headspace needed for the methoxide and oil expansion. I decant into the pails...stopping when I see the creamy shortening or gravy.

I think filtering UVO will have to be a separate operation with its own pump and apparatus. I, apparently, am too old or befuddled to design or operate things that do more then one operation at once...its apparent when I watch the 10year old operate the Prentice with double functions, soon I will be relegated to the dumb end of the chain.
DF

Howard Roark

posted Hide Post
Bears! Bears! Bears! I had to pour a thousand gallons worth, of cubes into steel 55 gallon barrels after this spring's bear attack. Looks like they only got a gravy separator barrel this year.

How long can oil just sit in barrels?

Howard Roark

posted Hide Post
Hi dualfuel,

quote:
How long can oil just sit in barrels?
I carefully pour my WVO into steel 205 litre drums and when they are full I seal them tight.
This past Christmas I made this years biodiesel from WVO that was 2 years in the drum. The oil was fine.

I am presently using biodiesel that was made from similar aged oil in Jan and Feb 2014 and it is good to go. The way I am using it, it will last another year or more before I start using this years biodiesel.

posted Hide Post
I had the same problem a couple of years ago. It became a bear buffet with a parade of bears coming through. Once the oil was stored in steel barrels I thought it was good but then they got into the bio and ate that. the next day I saw the effects on the bear digestive system on the driveway. I had some measure of satisfaction seeing that (it had to have hurt) but then one turned into a meth head after that, I gave up that year. I've had oil in a drum for 2 years and made bio out of that with good results, some old crap really settled out nice in the drum.

Getting hard to find steel barrels now though.

posted Hide Post
Best bear deterrent I've found, besides a yard dog, is to shoot 'em with an air rifle pellet. It must feel like a bee or wasp sting to them because they take of running and don't come back.