BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel Connections  Hop To Forums  Canada Biodiesel    biodiesel co-generation hang out
Page 1 ... 40 41 42 43 44 45 

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

biodiesel co-generation hang out
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
cool, glad you found it.my project wasn't as extensive but I've got another array up and tracking pretty much doubling the power input. That should make a difference this winter, less genny time. now I've got to see about a new battery bank and lead is getting expensive now, should prove interesting.

21 years off the grid and counting

Location: Muskoka, Ont, Can | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well Boys,
An update...I have went ahead and started processing oil for the 2015 season. I have been collecting all winter and am quite swamped with cubes everywhere.
Right now I am considering laying a 250 gallon oil tank on its side and welding legs on it. I want to cut about a third of the top off and use it as a clarification tank. I believe, by having the sides curving back inwards, the fuel won't splash out during a hard snow or rain storm. The straight sided tank splashes oil everywhere in a storm. I need a lot more capacity for clarification.

I need to build a methanol recovery still....not sure what to do about that yet. Should be wood fired. Should be big enough that it is worth tending for a day. Might be a two day job...first day should be running a water bath heater to get the glycerine to pour into the still pot. Haven't done it in a while, so am still thinking about it.

I am seriously considering a 300 gallon processor....or a one barrel of methanol at a time, processor. I have been gathering parts...the heart will be a dual Commercial hydraulic pump. Basically a wet kit off a logging truck. Not sure about the heat for the processor yet. Humble wood boiler?

Is anybody heating their oil with solar?
Dan, post some pictures of that 5.9 generator and its house...please!
DF

"I don't work with collectives. I don't consult, I don't co-operate, I don't collaborate."
Howard Roark

Location: Calumet, Michigan, Great White North | Registered: January 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll see what I can do about some pics. I haven't done squat for 3 or 4 years for reasons I won't go into here. Suffice to say that I am getting back into the projects again and there are a multitude to get on. What new/old toys have you picked up lately? you seem to always find some cool old unit that gets a second life at working in the bush.

I use solar to help keep the oil warm once it's heated but its primitive involving an old mortar box turned upside down and the reactor (45 gal drum) sits on top. On a warm day it makes a difference keeping the temp up by heating the box and letting the barrel absorb it.

With a 300 gal processor you may need to pump the oil through some sort of exchanger (black pipes?) or it might be too short a day to bring it up to temp. that may involve some sort of drain to let the oil back into the processor before reacting.2 shut off valves would work to isolate the heat exchanger but the temps without circulating would get stupid in there I have no doubt it would melt the pipe if it was plastic. all in all I'm sure solar would work with a simple set up.

I snagged a Kubota grave yard mower off the township auction a while back. the price was low enough that all I was interested in was the engine but once home the unit works well enough that it's staying a mower till that part quits. A 4 ft deck is most definitely overkill for my lawn but with the front pto I may get a snow blower adapted on it for the winter, I don't think it will take much just some time fiddling with the parts.

That project just ain't so pressing now but later....

Location: Muskoka, Ont, Can | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dualfuel, 12Volt,

Hi, Good to see you guys are still at it.

Regards.

Dave. Smile

Location: Yorks,England | Registered: June 30, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dear 12Volt,
I guess one interesting acquisition, made last fall, was this fella...
Its a hydraulic power unit from a car crusher. The engine is a complete, stand alone, 353 Detroit two stroke. Because of the engine type, hydraulic pump, tanks, and valving....I have some amazing fantasies about this unit.
Example, it could power the 300 gallon processor. Or it could power a back hoe, or Prentice, or the sawmill/wood cutting operation....
So I am anxious to begin converting fuel to noise and see what happens....I know it is rather sad, most men my age get a busty young blond, a Corvette, and a mid-life crisis...I seem to still be in the "toys in the sandbox" stage of life...

"I don't work with collectives. I don't consult, I don't co-operate, I don't collaborate."
Howard Roark

ImageDetroit_353.JPG (22 Kb, 8 downloads) Detroit 353

Location: Calumet, Michigan, Great White North | Registered: January 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Example, it could power the 300 gallon processor.

Overkill,I love it. If your going to do some thing go big or go home Big Grin

quote:
.I know it is rather sad, most men my age get a busty young blond, a Corvette, and a mid-life crisis...I seem to still be in the "toys in the sandbox" stage of life...

I think your better off that way, it's more fun and cheaper playing with toys.

I'll see what I can do about a pic. I've got no connection at home any more but I think I can sneak one through work. The heat exchanger is in now waiting for the plumbing and basically it's not far from starting up and doing some work I just haven't pushed it. I'm also looking for a 220v inverter. They are making their way into the market now and that would work better on the deep well pump than firing the genny up every time I want water. some are coming with a remote switch now as well, like the tv, gotta like that. my 120v inverter has been upgraded to a 3kw now and I'm done with the 8D batts (got 8 years out of them), traded them in on this type

ten of those do just fine

Good to see you DVA how's life on your side of the pond. I thought this thread was just going to fade away but I'm wondering if it ain't needed that much more these days. It don't look that pretty for the future.

posted Hide Post
In all the time I have been visiting this site I have noticed this thread!
Dan, let us know how those Interstate batteries last for you.
There is a dealer close to my wife's work where I have bought 4 batteries in the last 2 years, from small lawn tractor to large deep cycles for my boat, they are all dead or performing very poorly now. Frown
These batteries performed worse than the cheap Chinese ones available at C-tire for me. I swore off them now but the price and convenience is still attractive...
The guy who runs the store by us seems like a real idiot so perhaps that's where the problem lies, either way I will be interested in how they last for ya.
Cheers,
Jon

Location: Wellington County, Ontario Canada | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Dan et al,

Nothing changing much over here. May do tomorrow as it is our election.

The government is still playing around with the car road tax system.

Here is what happened to me . Last July I taxed my Citroen Saxo (1.5 Litre Diesel) and it cost me £145 for 12 month.

The gov' then changed the rules. So from January this year it only cost £130.

But.

I was discussing cars with someone on another site and he remarked that his car had only cost him £20

It was a Diesel Ford Focus. 1.6 Litre.

I Was staggered. why the difference ?

On checking I discovered that it is now based on particulate emissions. His, although a slightly bigger engine than mine, throws out 30 PPM less particulate than mine.

That 30 PPM converts to £110 per year in extra tax.

Yet on Bio, even 50/50, I always come in cleaner than that. But the regulations do no account for it.

Mind you, the real bad news is the upcoming world wide move to virtually ban Diesel cars. Or haven't you guys heard about that one yet ?

dva

Location: Yorks,England | Registered: June 30, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh yes, nearly forgot.

Re your flat battery problems.

Have you seen the following videos ?

I tried it with on battery and it seems to work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Supe1a3LW2U

Dave.

posted Hide Post
quote:
There is a dealer close to my wife's work where I have bought 4 batteries in the last 2 years, from small lawn tractor to large deep cycles for my boat, they are all dead or performing very poorly now. Frown

Is it due to sitting during the winter? If so then I would recommend those little crappy tire solar battery maintainer, they work well. I popped a 3-53 into a skidder a couple of years ago and the owner used one of those on his batts (2 group 31's)since he uses it sporadically he always had problems with the batts sitting. since then? not a problem.

Those rider mowers were a problem as well the stator in the engine wasn't big enough to cover the pto electric clutch let alone lights or accessories so after a long run the batts were low and the opperator didn't know till the next start. Don't know if that's still the problem, (it's a little dated) but it wouldn't surprise me at all.

My batts went in about Nov /013 and I've never had a problem. The charge controller takes very good care of them I just have to watch the voltage in the winter to make sure they don't drop below 12.25 volts (half way charged). Cycling them all the way down gives you some thing like only 200 cycles while only half way and your good for 5 to 10 years.

I lucked out with being in the trade where the wholesalers are around I was able to get some cheep batts on my first big bank and scored some big 4 volt cores that came from hydro. apparently they sit there on a charger full time to cover the computers during a black out. Hydro changes them every 2 years whether they need to or not. Free no core, SNAG Wink

Made this bank almost free with the old lead that went back, I can live with that. I probably should add 4-6 more to reduce the cycling as when they stay above 12.45 they won't sulfate but again the controller takes care of equalization when needed so not as big a deal

Pen, interstate, exide and trojen I believe are the only manufacturers in North America any more and they are all decent batts it's just the orders they fill for other companies that's gives the consumer the shaft some times. i fitted a group 31 truck batt in my jetta for about half the price of the version that was originally fitted

Hope that helps

posted Hide Post
quote:

Originally posted by dva
Mind you, the real bad news is the upcoming world wide move to virtually ban Diesel cars. Or haven't you guys heard about that one yet ?

News to me WTF? I've gotten kinda partial to my Jetta now

Our testing here in northern Ontario was a joke -35% opacity (smoke)
then the government quietly let it drop. There is no testing here in the commercial trucks any more but no worries we still have DEF,SCR and all the headaches that go with maintaining it. Western Star sent me a pre recall report on the problems of DEF freezing in the lines and a procedure coming to fix the problem. That was 2 years ago

Still waiting Roll Eyes

posted Hide Post
There are no emissions test standards in Canada's northern Territories, common sense still prevails. They did have voluntary testing one weekend a couple of years ago when the government brought in a testing team from the south.

The '89 Toyota 3.4 L TDI with 15% VO-BD 85% ULSD, tested 0% Opacity, 0% CO, and 9PPM HC. That's all they tested for. The techs commented that the only other diesels that were testing that clean were current VW TDIs, and a couple of new Cummins powered 3/4Ton trucks, all with computer engine mgt systems using straight ULSD.

Location: coldest N.America | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Hi JohnGalt,

quote:
Originally posted by john galt:
The '89 Toyota 3.4 L TDI with 15% VO-BD 85% ULSD, tested 0% Opacity, 0% CO, and 9PPM HC. That's all they tested for.
I have a copy of the final report in front of me and you seem to have forgotten the PM10 Concemtration measurements they performed.
The report says:
"Almost all of these two-speed-idle gasoline tests showed less than 1 mg/m3 of PM10, with most being effectively zero...The Japanese Landcruiser on 50% biodeisel (This is your vehicle) was tested as though it was a gasoline vehicle. It measured 35 mg/m3 at curb-idle and 13 mg/m3 at high-idle. This confirmed that, although all the other emission indicators (smoke opacity and HC and CO concentrations) were very good, a diesel engine always emits much more PM than gasoline engines."

quote:
The techs commented that the only other diesels that were testing that clean were current VW TDIs, and a couple of new Cummins powered 3/4Ton trucks, all with computer engine mgt systems using straight ULSD.
Again, not exactly correct. The report goes on to say:
"Only the newest diesel engines (2007 and later) have diesel particulate filters (DPF) that trap the particles and prevent their escape out the tailpipe.
There were four such vehicles tested; they were a 2007 Dodge Ram 3500, a 2007 GMC 2500, and two 2008 GMC 2500s.
Their results confirmed the effectiveness of the DPFs, as all four had no measurable output of PM10 on any of the snap accelerations performed, and all had 0% opacity readings."

The newer diesels were testing much cleaner in PM10 that your vehicle

Location: ลึก ประเทศอินเดีย | Registered: March 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Particulate emissions?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0noNkYIJPg

LOL!

@ 3:40 watch what happens to the sun....

Howard Roark

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dualfuel:
Particulate emissions?

No testing for particulate emissions was done, they only tested for opacity, CO and HC. It was useful to see how much the VO fuels reduced the emissions they tested for, as compared with the other diesels they tested. VO fuels do reduce exhaust pollution as compared with straight petro diesel.

The govt concluded it wasn't necessary to test emissions on a regular basis, and regulations on exhaust emissions wasn't warranted since the sample of vehicles they tested didn't have significant pollution problems.

Location: coldest N.America | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi John,

quote:
No testing for particulate emissions was done, they only tested for opacity, CO and HC.
You must be getting forgetful in your old age.
Go the bottom of page 18 on this site where it says "PM10 Concentration Measurements" and start reading.
https://docs.google.com/viewer...inic_report_2009.pdf

They even have a nice photo of your old Landcruiser on the page.

Location: ลึก ประเทศอินเดีย | Registered: March 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi john galt,

quote:
The govt concluded it wasn't necessary to test emissions on a regular basis, and regulations on exhaust emissions wasn't warranted since the sample of vehicles they tested didn't have significant pollution problems.
I really laugh at some of the things you post. Clearly you frequently just write whatever you think supports your viewpoint without reference to reality.

This is from the summary of the final report:
"Older vehicles have a higher likelihood of having excessive emissions because of greater wear and tear imposed on systems that were somewhat less durable to begin with.
The incidence of emission problems with these older vehicles in Whitehorse is significantly higher than in the AirCare area, and this suggests that a mandatory emission inspection requirement for older vehicles could make a real difference to the vehicle emissions problem in the area."

So while the government may have decided "it wasn't necessary to test emissions on a regular basis", it was NOT because the "vehicles they tested didn't have significant pollution problems"

posted Hide Post
Tilly,
I looked at that document....what was the picture of the bulldozer supposed to represent? The verbage doesn't seem to mention it...
I think they would have to stop salting the roads, if they wanted to start inspecting vehicles again...Michigan is very strange about things like that.

Howard Roark

posted Hide Post
Hi dualfuel,

quote:
Originally posted by dualfuel:
Tilly,
I looked at that document....what was the picture of the bulldozer supposed to represent? The verbage doesn't seem to mention it...
I think it is the official Canadian flower. Wink

posted Hide Post
Dan,

I can't find the original article (will try again) but here is a taste of the things to come.

http://www.gomotortrade.co.uk/...n-diesel-cars-london

Dave.

dva