BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel Connections  Hop To Forums  Canada Biodiesel    biodiesel co-generation hang out
Page 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ... 45

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

biodiesel co-generation hang out
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dualfuel:

Is an '87 Dodge 1/2 ton FWD front end easy to convert to lock outs?
DF

I didn't think there were any full time 4wd Dodges after about 1980 or so, but if it's got the chrome caps on the ends of the hubs, you can convert to lockouts by just pulling the drive slug out of the hub, then put the lockouts in. Get the Warns if you can afford it, they are pretty trouble free. I can't say the same for some other brands.

In search of wvo.....

Location: Albion, Mi | Registered: April 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi,
Thanks James!
'86... I suspect this is one of those axles that has a two piece axle shaft on one side. It engages the shaft via a vacuum controlled sliding member. If it is, I was going to install lockouts and weld the sliding member too an axle shaft.
Its actually a pretty nice vehicle and would make a good backup for Mrs DF, seeing as the Ciera is running on three cylinders these days.
Ha! BIG NEWS! I just repurchased the original Datsun diesel pickup that I brought back from Germany in 1991! $300 and still runs. Needs a door skin and a slave cylinder. Only 150k on the odometer. I sold it with 130k, so I think it sat for many years. Previous owners probably did not have a clue about how to keep it going.
Its snowing with wind gusts and 20F. I am still hacking so doubt I will go and do anything on the suburban exhaust. Its tempting though.
Later DF

"I don't work with collectives. I don't consult, I don't co-operate, I don't collaborate."
Howard Roark

Location: Calumet, Michigan, Great White North | Registered: January 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The two pc sliding axle vacuum deal didn't come out until the 94 overhaul for the ram. I'm pretty sure the only thing you could get in an 87 was the standard quarter turn lockouts. I'm curious what you've got in that thing now....

In search of wvo.....

Location: Albion, Mi | Registered: April 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
dualfuel:

Sticker shock on the heating bill ehh. Almost as high as here in NB.

Would you mind taking a moment to explain your desulphating methodology? I have been wanting to find a proven method that I could emulate.

Great to have ya back on NA soil.
RAVeman

Location: Way up north near the oil sands Canada | Registered: February 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
'86,
There does seem to be some sort of business on the passenger side axle housing. I am sorry that I haven't given it more than a glance. It does look different then a Dana 44 on a Chevy though.
DF

"I don't work with collectives. I don't consult, I don't co-operate, I don't collaborate."
Howard Roark

Location: Calumet, Michigan, Great White North | Registered: January 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
RAV,
The desulphator technology can be found on the web complete with schematics. I have three that I built two years ago and they cost $12US for the parts. Walmart is selling a Black&Decker smart charger with a desulphator. I bought one recently and have been using it steady. It was around $75US.
Supposedly, the desuphators that I built release a charge into the battery at ~1000hZ which is a harmonic of the natural frequency of the sulphate ions stuck to the plate. So the sulphate rattles off the plate and dissolves back into the electrolyte.
I am not sure one way or the other. I am sure that it does work. Sometimes with really amazing results.
Anyhow,
DF

Howard Roark

posted Hide Post
DF:

Seeing as you are enjoying your poor health by working on your computer, maybe you could take a few and give me a general overview on your work with gasifiers. Friend of mine in New Brunswick has found a batch of propane powered gen-sets and wants to use gasifiers to run them.

As there is no shortage of wood out there it seems that this might have some potential.

By the way, apart from the cold, snow and health probs, how are you making out now that you are home?

Bill

91 Buick Roadmaster wagon, GM 6.2 diesel conversion (gone but not forgotten
89 GMC 6.2 (Just got rid of the last pieces)
84 Mercedes 300D (gone to the great autobahn in the sky)
94 Cadillac Fleetwood (Sold before I could convert it)

Location: Manotick, Ontario Canada | Registered: July 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Welcome home DF!!! Smile

Blessings. Joe 1999 Chevy Suburban w/new optimizer 6500 TD and 1995 Chevy Cube van 6.5L. WWW.RillaBioFuels.com
WWW.RillaBioFuels.com

Location: Sterling Hts. Michigan USA | Registered: October 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bill McD, Joe M,
Thanks guys. Thanks a lot. Its so great to be back. I drove the suburban out to the bush some days ago with toddlers. The snow was only about a foot deep on the bush road.
Aside from that I have been nowhere, seen no one, and have loved every minute of this splendid isolation. I fear it will soon end, and I will have to make appearences, or be encroached upon by the curious.
I suppose thats why I like the forum so much. Its about the right level of contact for me.

The gasifiers. I can help to a degree. Its tricky in that there are plans on the web for the correct model of producer for an IC engine. What I cannot do is urge you to bother the guy who has posted them. He is a good man but is rather frustrated with wasting his time with the idly curious. He communicates with me and tolerates my questions because I actually built a producer and am pursuing gas production (much to the chagrin of my mother and relatives).
So it boils down to: Are you serious? If so then so am I. Its better to discuss this as a private topic. Believe it or not, there is actually some proprietary property rights involved.

As for a general overview:
A down draft gasifier uses 2" by 2" wood blocks, dry if possible, green if you must, for fuel. The key is to make the fuel consistantly shaped and from the same species. Think diesel, the best results the engine is tuned for one type of fuel.
Generally speaking, a producer is a device that converts a solid fuel into a gaseous fuel. Seeing as the difference in volume between gaseous fuel and solid fuel is about 50,000 times, it simply makes practical sense to put a producer right next to the engine, instead of making and storing the gas.
The gas produced is primarily H2, and CO. The rest is inert and just along for the ride.
A producer engine doesn't need a regulator like a natural gas engine. The gas is drawn in by engine vacuum.
If this sounds like something you or your buddy wish to pursue then give me a wink and a nod and I will explain the rest on a PT.
Yeah, I am sick of Pneumonia but other than that am simply thrilled to be back getting things started again. I ordered my plasma cutter today. A Miller 2050. I figure to use it to cut parts for the new producers, gas coolers, and boilers to be built this spring.
Later DF

Howard Roark

posted Hide Post
Hi Dan,
I bought an old Michigan loader. It has a very tired Waukesha 190GLB six cylinder gas engine. Any clue where I can get a resleeve kit for it?
Anyhow,
DF

Howard Roark

posted Hide Post
Hi,
Yesterday, the whole family went to the bush! Mrs. DF skied up the road while DF pulled the boys in a homemade toboggan. It was great exercise. The boys liked the ride.
While at the bush, I managed to get the old Bom-bar-di-eh running. It amazed me that the ancient machine required so little to get it moving. So when it came time to go back to the toddler hauler, I pulled Buda in the toboggan with the Bombardier and mother carried Char in a back pack carrier.
I felt rejuvenated to be back up in the hills. I was able to speak freely there. I finally felt free there.
The camp was in decent shape. All the batteries were frozen excempt one. I hooked a solar panel to it to try and keep it alive. We had a fire and some heat in short order. Buda found his Curious George book and proceeded to read it.
The snow was three feet deep in some places. Most things had a good two feet piled on them. All the camper tops are crushed. Its a good thing I like one ton trucks because anything smaller didn't make it.
So today I have to replace a bogey spring on the Bombardier and give it some attention. It needs a trailer and a toboggan trailer for it to pull the saws and snowblower with.
Anyhow, pretty exciting to make it home finally. Also glad everyone liked what they saw.
Later, DF

Howard Roark

posted Hide Post
Dualfuel

Glad your having fun again. We have a /73 Motoski Capri with the same mentality to go with little or no attention. The oldest has quite a bit of fun with it. It just likes the gas, seems that the closer it is to flooding the better. oh well such is life Smile

We were at the Bracebride snow cross this weekend and the boys realy enjoyed themselfs. These guys were the real thing with jumps in excess of 100 ft over the moguls. glad I'm not that young anymore, I might be tempted heh heh heh

On that Wakashaw, They shouldn't be that far from you aren't they? I ran into a couple of drivers from Coach USA and they were based in Wakashaw. they assured me that the plant is still running and things are well with the company. I bet with a modle no. and some e-mails you should have some idea of what your looking at for cost of a rebuild kit.

The suns been out here for close to a week (bout time) here and the new set up has proven it's worth. The kids tried but they couldn't run the Batts down this weekend. I'm realy enjoying this power curve for a change, It's been a long time comming but I can finally start looking at more electrical draw instead of doing with less. It's a lot more comfortable for a change.

Sounds like you have about the same amount of snow as here. I've cleared the Jetta twice now and it's time to do it again.

Have fun and may your panels see more sun than cloud

21 years off the grid and counting

Location: Muskoka, Ont, Can | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
DF:

In regards to your 190GLB try Powermax at:

http://www.powermaxparts.com/

They list a complete in frame overhaul kit for this engine. You'll have to locate the dealer nearest you but the main site does list the bits you want.

Dan:

Must be nice having a surplus of power. Don't let conservation take a back seat. Nature abhors a vacuum and will quickly make sure you will be in need of more panels before long.

We were lucky and avoided the last snowfall but I'm doing some consulting work for a wireless company up in Owen Sound and they got buried. As a result the network went down due to power outages and snow buildup.

Here in Ottawa we are currently struggling to keep the ice on the canal for Winterlude (it looked like it was going to be "Waterlude" on the first weekend). The ice sculpures barely lasted through the judging before returning to their natural state.

Anyways I don't think any of us have anything to complain about this winter. Glad the two of you are getting a chance to do your family thing again.

All the best.

Bill

91 Buick Roadmaster wagon, GM 6.2 diesel conversion (gone but not forgotten
89 GMC 6.2 (Just got rid of the last pieces)
84 Mercedes 300D (gone to the great autobahn in the sky)
94 Cadillac Fleetwood (Sold before I could convert it)

Location: Manotick, Ontario Canada | Registered: July 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi,
Well, yesterday the nice man delivered the loader to Calumet.
I swore he told me he would pick it up at Dave's at 0730. I got nervous that Dave wouldn't have it plugged in, gassed up, battery charged, etc. So I got up at 0500 and loaded the boys and went to Dave's for 0730. I was right. It wasn't plugged in, out of gas, and battery dead.
I put gas in. I charged the battery, made sure the tires were aired, and on and on. By then it was 0830 and I was cussing the man who said he was going to be there at 0730! The boys missed their breakfast for nothing! I was pissed and finally left in a huff.
I got home and fed the boys dug around and called Dave's cell. He answered saying "I was just looking for your number!"
"The man is out on the street chaining down the loader onto the trailer! He'll be to Calumet in about an hour."
I forgot all about being pissed. Where is my long extension cord and battery charger in case I have to jump the loader? Starting fluid? I ran in circles excitedly checking the window with a view of the end of the street. I needn't have gotten excited.
When he did come, he slowed down using his Jake brake and half of Calumet knew he was stopping on my street. I ran out to the end of the driveway waving my arms and trying to catch his eye. He just drifted past my street, truck, trailer, and my new loader. What the hell?
So I stood there kind of lost, watching the end of my street. I watched the cars pass on the highway. There was a break in the traffic. Suddenly, I heard a turbo spool up and a diesel start roaring. Then I saw the trailer and then the loader, and finally the truck come backing around the corner right down my street. I ran for the extension cord and battery charger. I yelled at the picture window for the boys to watch the big truck.
When the nice man backed to my driveway, I was holding my battery charger and extension cord, staring seriously at him, very composed. After all, this is very serious business. He set his brake and stepped from the cab. I rushed the loader with the battery charger. He glanced at me and said " Wanna just try and start it first?"
"If I am pessimistic then I won't need the battery charger" I told him with a grin. I dropped the charger ran around throwing off the binders and crawled into the cab. He dropped the trailer, set the ramps, and stood by the carburetor with the starting fluid. I floored the throttle, turned the key, and he sprayed.
Ha! It started right up!
Uh, now was the real tough part, I'd never driven the loader before so I wasn't really sure what to do.
With one hand I grabbed the bucket lift while the other bumped the gear shift into reverse. Heck! It was moving off the trailer before the bucket was all the way up. Down the ramp it went while the bucket came up just in time to clear the hump. I was on the road.
I glanced at him and gave him the "No problem, knew what I was doing all the time" nod. He looked up at me and I saw his lips move, saying "smooth".
I took the loader to the garage and plugged in the heater and battery charger. Got to keep it on the ready line.
So now the boys cling to the bathroom window panes by their finger tips and toes looking out the glass at "...our MICHigan loader." Naturally, the third toddler is standing right behind them on tiptoes trying to see around them for a good view as well.
DF

Howard Roark

posted Hide Post
Hi,
Well we took off for the weekend and went down to Bobby Swain's and to visit Vince.
I got my old Datsun diesel back that I brought from Germany in '91. It still runs!
I bought an engine for the loader from Bobby for $400! A Waukesha 190GLB same as in the loader.
Suburban got anywhere from the high 30s to as low as 25mpg. She drove and got the high 30s. I drove and got the 25mpg. I was doing 70+ everywhere. Its just fun to drive!
Anyhow, found a truck we used to own parked south of L'anse. Its a built 350 with Edlebrock everything, SM465 and NP205, blazer frame with pickup cab and a shortened box, sitting on Summit Climber 35s, with a 4" body lift and arched springs. Yep! its me.
All in all, a fun weekend,
DF

Howard Roark

posted Hide Post
Dual, did you buy your old Michigan loader from Dave Kuru? If so, that's probably the old loader I remember when I was there...

In search of wvo.....

posted Hide Post
Another thought on the Waukesha engines:

Oliver was a big user of Waukesha engines from the 50's. There may be some common parts there.
For instance, my Oliver Super 55 diesel used a 180 DLC waukesha engine. The 190 was just a larger bore version. So look at Oliver 77/Super 77/770's for a comparison.

In search of wvo.....

posted Hide Post
Hi,
Yes the loader came from Dave's. I pushed banks with it yesterday and it did fairly well.
Will look at Olivers
Picked up Methanol yesterday, $162 including the barrel deposit. Duh, I brought them an old one with ice in it. Sorry, no thanks.
Drove the Chevy home yesterday. Wow! That was fun, fun, fun! It runs like a dream.
Well for now, am just hanging around watching the snow come down.
DF

Howard Roark

posted Hide Post
A couple Old engine parts sources that hold some promise:

Evelyn and Jim Jones (jebmj AT bloomnet.com)

and

DEPCO parts (Ryan Des Jean, rdesjean at depcoparts.com)

I think I've got a source for a set of Thiokol tracks. My friend at the Army Surplus store has a pile, but sold his Thiokol. He's been trying to talk me into building my own snow crawler. It's tempting, but I really don't need another project, especially one that I'll only use 1 day a year. Easier to borrow whatever he's got at the moment.

Location: Moses Lake, WA, USA | Registered: August 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The world's newest largest liquid Biofuel Power Plant is in Monopoli Italy, rated at 24MWe of "green electricity". It's using 3 Wartsila 18V32 diesel engines consuming 45000 tonnes of vegetable oil per year. The third engine, which just completed testing, burns "exclusively vegetable oil"!! (Diesel and Gas Turbine Worldwide, Jan/Feb 2006 issue, pg 40) Perhaps I should post this on the SVO forums, but this one seems like the perfect audience to appreciate it (45000 TONNES! My mind boggles)

They operated inside the Monopoli CHP bio-fuel plant, part of the Casa Olearia Italiano Group, providing process heat for the plant, in addition to electricity for the grid. This provides "electricity and heat without sulphur emission and zero consumptions of fossil fuel, thus contributing to the reduction of the greenhouse effect".

For those of you who aren't familiar with Wartsila, a Finnish engine company, they make very very nice large engines, frequently found in ocean-going vessels, but also popular in all kinds of large stationary power plants. As such, they are used to making engines run on bunker oil, requiring heated fuel systems and special injectors, pumps, filters, etc. Burning SVO must seem like childs play to them. These 18V32 units are making 8MWe each, or about 32000hp (yup, three zeros). I think they turn about 750rpm.
Now back to our usual programming...

Location: Moses Lake, WA, USA | Registered: August 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post