BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel Connections  Hop To Forums  Canada Biodiesel    Another one goes up in smoke

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Another one goes up in smoke
 Login/Join

posted
A local guy here in the Ottawa Valley has suffered a loss of his Bio-diesel operation. Art has been very active for a number of years and, from what I have heard, ran a good operation. Never got a chance to go out and see his setup but from all accounts he was doing it right.

This loss does not bode well for bio in this area. No doubt this will prompt an investigation and will mean anyone around here with a processor will be under the microscope for awhile. Luckily there were no injuries and the fire fighters managed to save everything except his shop and a car. The main issue here is he was heating his house with a furnace in the shop. Not a good situation to be in around here in February.

http://ottawa.ctv.ca/servlet/a...0212/?hub=OttawaHome

http://ottawa.ctv.ca/servlet/a...20212?hub=OttawaHome

Art: If you are still watching this board, please fell free to contact me if you think I can be of any help.

Bill

91 Buick Roadmaster wagon, GM 6.2 diesel conversion (gone but not forgotten
89 GMC 6.2 (Just got rid of the last pieces)
84 Mercedes 300D (gone to the great autobahn in the sky)
94 Cadillac Fleetwood (Sold before I could convert it)

Location: Manotick, Ontario Canada | Registered: July 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The official cause of the fire has not been determined? Have you spoken with Art; does he know ot suspect something specific?

I had a fire in my shop...completely unrelated to biodiesel. But a guy who isn't afraid to make his own fuel is the handy kind of guy who will do other things himself, too. One of the "other things" malfunctioned and started a fire.

My first thought of a guy who "from all accounts he was doing it right", was that it wasn't his biodiesel that caused the problem. What sort of heater in a shop heats the house, too? Like a big, ol' Murphy's Machines-esque sort of 150,000 BTU/hr waste oil heater?

Location: Southern WI, USA | Registered: May 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ryan:

Have not spoken to Art in close to four years, so have no more information than you. I'm sure the cause will eventually come out but around here, if the fire was in a shed that was used to process bio-diesel the natural conclusion is always "it must have been the biodiesel". If I find out anything more will keep all appraised. Just glad Art and his family are all right, if not a little cold.

Bill

91 Buick Roadmaster wagon, GM 6.2 diesel conversion (gone but not forgotten
89 GMC 6.2 (Just got rid of the last pieces)
84 Mercedes 300D (gone to the great autobahn in the sky)
94 Cadillac Fleetwood (Sold before I could convert it)

Location: Manotick, Ontario Canada | Registered: July 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2013 Sponsor
posted Hide Post
In my opinion the four most important safety rules for biodiesel are:

1) Do not process in your home. (do process in a dedicated disposable shed or outside away from buildings)

2) Keep the volume of oil and biodiesel on the property to a minimum.

3) Keep your equipment in good working order.

4) Keep your processing area clean.

The first two are to keep small fires from becoming big fires, and the second two are about preventing fires in the first place.

To the best of my memory, the people with fires reported here all broke at least one of these four rules.

For more safety tips see: www.make-biodiesel.org.

Rick

Location: Cowboy Country | Registered: December 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
a guy who isn't afraid to make his own fuel is the handy kind of guy who will do other things himself, too. One of the "other things" malfunctioned and started a fire.

That's a good way of stating it. Those "other things" usually cause the fire, but the biodiesel usually gets the blame.

That's an excellent summary of safety rules. I agree that every biodiesel related fire I've heard of broke one or more of those simple rules.

Fortunately Art's house is OK, and hopefully he's got a woodstove backup till he can get his boiler back on line.

Location: coldest N.America | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RickDaTech:

1) Do not process in your home. (do process in a dedicated disposable shed or outside away from buildings)

Well said Rick.

As someone who got lucky with a dry fired element explosion in a reactor setting next to a 200 gallons tote of WVO in the basement, DON'T RISK IT. Plus the insurance company will likely try to weasel out of any related claims.

Hope all is well Art, and to get back up running soon.

-Ken

Recycling & Green Fuels Research: www.altfuelsgroup.org
Ozone Eating Toys For Big Boys !!: www.suncoastexotics.com
Carefully Maintaining A Carbon Neutral Footprint...

Location: Southeastern Ohio | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Hi, Any Bio people in the Regina area.

Location: Longford | Registered: October 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post