Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Injector nozzle sticking
 Login/Join

posted
I recently removed injectors on my Mercedes 617 engine, and found several spraying poorly. Before installing new nozzles, I checked for free movement of the pintle(I believe I got that term correct), and found it stuck. The only way I could free it was to hold it in a vise and use vise-grips to rotate. I had to heat one with a propane torch, it was stuck inside so bad. Carb cleaner was the only thing I could find that worked, to free-up these 2 parts.

I have started using Sea-foam in the diesel fuel.Perhaps this is an injector line heater issue or using older SVO. Has anyone had any experience with this problem with SVO?

Location: Ontario | Registered: May 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey buddy...

We dissassemble our MB injectors. ..clean thoroughly. ..check their pop pressures and spray patterns...and reassemble..

I'm now doing my 4th recent Mercedes injectors job...this one a 350 SDL and all these injector tips have only showed signs of minimal wear so far..
It's important that they pop at similar pressures...

And I buy Seafoam by the case...at $7.50 each this way...lol

So I've got used injectors here out of a 300 SDL available...probably free buddy...lol
And tons of MB stuff...lol

Take care

Location: Ontario | Registered: April 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How often do you remove and check your injectors? Do you use seafoam regularly? I'm not sure but I think 1750 is the pop pressure I look for, non turbo engine. Do you have a clutch assembly, flywheel and trans for sale?

posted Hide Post
I have 2 spare tranny's from the 86 and 87 ..u can have one...lol

I've done all my cars' injectors now since they are 25 years old. ..and 30 years for the 1986...
One of my 91s only has 99,500 miles..my other cars have 260k , 330k and 385k...so we've done timing chains and all glow plugs too now...
All the injector tips were in decent shape...Mercedes quality...easy work and done with all that now...lol
and these tips are $40.00 each wholesale. ..
So RLA fuel lines for bio durability and maybe electric fuel pumps soon for total reduncy. .

I use Seafoam regularly now since I learned about how important lubricity is in our idi diesels and how dirty their engine oils get...
My 7.3 idi runs noticibly better with bio and injector cleaners...so I'm hooked when these products are on sale...lol
Biodiesel is very high in lubricity and cleanliness..

So I'm not sure..yet..if my tranny will bolt up to the dynamite Mercedes 5 cyl diesel. .
But I've got specialty tools too my friend ...for your info...
Like the special coil spring compressor. .special injector line wrench and prechamber reamer...and stuff...lol
And spare injectors for ya...

Cause I'm gonna keep tons of these beautys going...lol

posted Hide Post
I have to apologize, I've been away and just got home. Your manual trannys must be from the 240, were they the only model to have it? My understanding is that the 240 flywheel will work, and I assume the manual flywheel housing is needed also for a conversion. I read that if the 617 was externally balanced, then the balance holes could be duplicated on the 240 flywheel. Sounds a bit iffy. Yes interested in your tranny.

Never had one of these engines apart, but I have a spare turbo engine I would like to rebuild. I'm running straight vegetable oil, no bio.

I think that injection pump may hold engine oil, that doesn't drain out with an oil change. Pulling the timing plug on a similar pump, on a Cummins yielded a fair amount of black oil. What part of Ontario you from?

posted Hide Post
No no...sorry...mine are all automatic transmissions. ..
W 126 6 cyl TurboDiesels. ..300 SDL and 350 SDL...

posted Hide Post
Sorry about the confusion again...
And I'd love to put the bulletproof 5 cyl diesel in my boat...the BioBoat is coming up one day...lol
Have turbos...need donor car...lol

And I'm going south to come home with another W126 very soon..an 88...Nice! Lol
The parking lot is getting full of Mercedes!
Lol

Why don't you PM me and I got lots of info...
I might be able to say hello...and show off my new car a bit...

Can't wait! Lol