BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Straight Vegetable Oil (SVO) as fuel  Hop To Forums  General SVO Discussion    The Spinner Centrifuge Plans: Review
Page 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Spinner Centrifuge Plans: Review
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Just had a look at this story again after a break and noted the pictures of the pressure cooker spinner. These things are not designed for this purpose. Im not saying they are too weak, I dont know if they are or not, but I have cut a few up in the past and the wall thickness can be half as thick on one side as on the other. (they are just a casting for cooking in after all) Not a good prospect for a balanced unit. Would be worth checking wall thickness with a micrometer or something before spinning one at 4000rpm. Eek
Johnno

Johnno
4WD Isuzu Jackaroo 3.1 110,000km on WVO 2 tank home built system 6 solenoids. Mk. 8 version.

Location: South Oz | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Any more ideas ( besides brake drums, juicers, pressure cookers ) for building a bowl type CF with an off the shelf rotor that doesn't require machining ? -Thanks

1994 F250 IDI 7.3 NA E4OD

Remember that the forum search/"find" feature does not include the archives . Search the forum archives here-

http://www.biodieseldiscussion.com/forums/search.php

posted Hide Post
Has anyone used a centrifuge to degum fresh squeezed soy or canola oil? Is degumming that simple or is the process more complicated?

Location: Virginia | Registered: March 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
before spinning one at 4000rpm.

yep and don't put your ear next to it listening for harmonics. Wink

best to plug the extension chord into the wall away from the unit, just in case.

Though your argument is very clever, I don't think it will lead to the results you desire. gandhi

Location: iowa | Registered: December 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like the idea of the propane cylinder for a bowl, they are universaly available and are built two piece steel, with the join at the middle.
If the cylinder was cut to the required height and chucked up in a lathe the bottom could be centre bored to take a good fit stepped centre boss for the motor shaft to connect into.
I am reckoning on a 7 pound sized cylinder to work with, as they are somewhere around 8 inch diam.
Can anyone see any pitfalls???

posted Hide Post
one of these would do nicely!

propane (8 Kb, 262 downloads) propane

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mister Lister:
one of these would do nicely!
Dont know what kinda file this is but it wont open on my system.

But equally so.... if you believe you can, YOUR RIGHT as well.

Location: North Tx | Registered: November 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
sorry, will try again

butane_jpeg (8 Kb, 237 downloads) butane

posted Hide Post
Still won't open. A picture will have an extension of .jpg normally. You should be able to double click on the file with explorer on your PC and it will display (before you put it in yet another post.)

YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary, see www.burnveg.com/forum
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4
Zero fossil house- 100% solar power and heat.

Location: N. Colorado | Registered: August 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SunWizard:
Still won't open.
Your doing something wrong when you transfer it from your puter to this board. LIke Sun said.... the file your trying to put on here.... if you cant click the file name in your puter and get your own picture software to open it.... then it's not going to work for us here. It should look something like on of these

c/windows/mypictues/thisIsThePicture.jpg
thisIsThePicture.bmp
thisIsThePicture.gif
thisIsThePicture.tif

But equally so.... if you believe you can, YOUR RIGHT as well.

Location: North Tx | Registered: November 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here's an interesting article about safety.
burst testing

Brian

2000 Jetta TDI
1982 Mercedes 300D Turbo
1986 Isuzu P'up (NA)
1985 Mercedes 300D Turbo
75/25 WVO/D2 for warm weather
50/50 WVO/D2 for cold weather
Uniqueness is a treasure not to be buried. - Laurence Martel

Location: High Point, NC | Registered: May 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And another about degumming...
Veg Oil Processing Plant

I especially like the part about the phosphoric acid. I'm going to try a 2 liter of diet cola in my next batch. (From the numbers I've seen, colas are about 10% phosphoric acid.) I'm planning to:
  • mix 35 gal oil and 2L diet cola with a pump
  • settle
  • drain most of the cola
  • wash the oil with 15 gal plain water
  • settle
  • pump the oil off the water
  • dewater with flash evaporator (212F @ 175 psi)
  • drain the water into the compost pile

The reason I'm not going to just buy phosphoric acid is because a 2L of generic cola can be had for 59 cents - not a bad buy for experimentation purposes.

Brian

2000 Jetta TDI
1982 Mercedes 300D Turbo
1986 Isuzu P'up (NA)
1985 Mercedes 300D Turbo

Location: High Point, NC | Registered: May 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
dewater with flash evaporator (212F @ 175 psi)

YIKES !!! Eek

Though your argument is very clever, I don't think it will lead to the results you desire. gandhi

Location: iowa | Registered: December 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
YIKES !!! Eek

It's not as insane as it might seem. Check out Tim C. Cook's thread. I've been doing it over a year and I've actually decreased the temp and increased the pressure with better results than any other method I've tried.

By the way, I didn't mention that I do plan to build a centrifuge, but not for dewatering. I don't think gravity (no matter how intense) can get all the water out. But after going through a centrifuge, a flash evaporator may be able to run at about 50C (@ 150 - 175 psi) and still be quite effective.

Brian

2000 Jetta TDI
1982 Mercedes 300D Turbo
1986 Isuzu P'up (NA)
1985 Mercedes 300D Turbo

posted Hide Post
Perkhouse, thanks for that Test Devices link. Very interesting. If only they were in Vancouver B.C.

posted Hide Post
where are the plans for bud's centrifuge setup available for purchase/download?

Location: Maryland | Registered: April 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bud lives in Morton, Washington. Try looking on this furums' search engine with the words: Bud Pitts Morton centrifuge.

Or, alternatively, you could just find one of his posts on this thread and send him a personal message by clicking on his username and following the prompts.

posted Hide Post
No posts since July?? Did this idea not pan out or is everybody busy making and spinning nice clean biodiesel. I;m late to the game but have read all post regarding this. Then they all just stop. Somebody please direct me to the new thread or start posting experiences.

Thanks TJ

posted Hide Post
What kind of pump are you using?

Location: Hawkinsville, Ga. 31036 | Registered: October 24, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
tjbrewster,

I am still here and the plans for the centrifuge are still available either by hard copy or now can be sent PDF format with 10 pictures instead of the original 5 photo's with the hard copy.

As to wheather it is successful or not????? you would not believe how successful it has been. About a year ago Farm Show magazine did a short article about the centrifuge and the responce has been unbelievable. I have had many folks that have call and many more that have e-mailed saying how well the machine works. There have been some that have had problems, but most have been trying to change it to do a job that it wasn't designed to do. The builders that have had the best success have been those that follow the plans. Should anyone want info on the plans, just send me an e-mail at spikee@lewiscounty.com and I'll send you 3 pages of propaganda.

I have had some small health issues but seem to be OK now and am moving on to other project like a cold WVO lift pump and a 6 port manually operated switch valve that is now being tested on vehicles on the road.

BUT I'M STILL HERE AND DOING IT.

That's what I've been doing, here in the West.

Buuuuud

Location: Morton, Wash. USA | Registered: February 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post