BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Straight Vegetable Oil (SVO) as fuel  Hop To Forums  General SVO Discussion    The Spinner Centrifuge Plans: Review
Page 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 14

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Spinner Centrifuge Plans: Review
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
This is transcribed from buds oil analysis he faxed to me earlier today. Filters Oil Analysis in Portland Oregon did the testing.

Spectrochemical Analysis PPM Physical Properties

Iron 1
Chromium 0
Lead 0
Copper 0
Tin 3
Aluminum 0
Nickel 0
Silver 0
Silicon 1
Boron 0
Sodium 0
Magnesium 0
Calcium 0
Barium 0
Phosphorus 25
Zinc 0
Molybdenum 0
Titanium 0
Vanadium 0
Potassium 0

VIS @ 40C cS[ 55.02

PARTICLE COUNT RESULTS PER 1 ml of Sample

Soot solids %wt <0.1

ISO rating
>4 / 10,594

>6 / 3,460

>14 / 54

>23 / 10

>50 / 1

the only thing I saw unusual was the high phosphorus count at 25ppm which isn't all that high I suppose, maybe from chicken? anyways phosphorus is also an antiwear additive in oil so it may be really good to have in there.

I expected to see potassium or sodium of which there isn't any. Don't think you want any either... I just expected there would be some.

coolant was marked N/A

oh yeah and this was after one pass thru his centrifuge.

Though your argument is very clever, I don't think it will lead to the results you desire. gandhi

Location: iowa | Registered: December 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi. I am still new to the WVO and WVO cleaning (just reading this and other forums) but I am familiar with using a centrifuge to clean machining oils.

I happen to have a barely used commercial centrifuge in my garage - pulls around 3000 G if I remember correctly. No, I am not really interested in selling it, but I am interested in playing with it.

If someone is interested in working with me on testing how it works with cleaning up WVO, I am interested, esp. if you are not too far away. I can easily load it up in my van and bring it over to test some WVO cleaning.

I live in Pleasanton, CA, which is in the Bay Area, CA.

Location: Bay Area, CA | Registered: October 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Welcome Harry!

I'd be interested in seeing how well it works. A bit too chaotic at my place, but I could swing by some afternoon, since I commute past Pleasanton to San Jose. If nothing else I could drop off a few cubees of various types of oil for you to play with cold and heated.

I just sent you a private message with my contact info...

I'm curious, is this a single batch centrifuge or does it allow for continous flow?

Don

Location: The West Coast | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Joat - Thanks for the welcome. I can set it up to run in either a batch or semi - continuous mode.

In semi- continous mode, the "lights" will overflow the bowl, and the "dense" will stay in the bowl. I need to check again, but I think the bowl is approx. 12 inch dia., so it can hold a fair amount of material.

It originally had a setup which allowed batch removal of lights or dense, but I removed that for a different experiment a few years ago. I might still have the parts somewhere.

If you want to come by and talk on the way home, that would be neat.

Location: Bay Area, CA | Registered: October 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Has anyone in the SE built or building one of these ? I really would like to take a look . -Thanks

This message has been edited. Last edited by: rkpatt,

1994 F250 IDI 7.3 NA E4OD

Remember that the forum search/"find" feature does not include the archives . Search the forum archives here-

http://www.biodieseldiscussion.com/forums/search.php

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by im6under:
the only thing I saw unusual was the high phosphorus count at 25ppm which isn't all that high I suppose, maybe from chicken? anyways phosphorus is also an antiwear additive in oil so it may be really good to have in there.

oh yeah and this was after one pass thru his centrifuge.

Phosphorus is a known engine coker, you can find more with a search on here. The limit allowed for B100 is 15ppm and they are very careful about that.

How is your centrifuge coming im6under? Last comments you had on it, you expected to have it ready end of Aug, 2 months ago?

YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary, see www.burnveg.com/forum
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4
Zero fossil house- 100% solar power and heat.

Location: N. Colorado | Registered: August 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
my centrifuge plans were superceeded by being last in line at the machine shop, and having my arm go bum on me.

2 weeks ago my turn was coming up and everything looked good but last monday my arm flared up again. This lasted all last week and I wound up with another unscheduled minor drainage and debreeding surgery friday afternoon so I am again laid up and out of any real usage for a few weeks.

doc says I'm lucky most people on my medication chuck it up in the can three times a day. Big Grin

Though your argument is very clever, I don't think it will lead to the results you desire. gandhi

Location: iowa | Registered: December 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
im6under -I wish you a speedy recovery and let us know when you get back to the project . - Thanks

1994 F250 IDI 7.3 NA E4OD

Remember that the forum search/"find" feature does not include the archives . Search the forum archives here-

http://www.biodieseldiscussion.com/forums/search.php

posted Hide Post
Does anyone know of someone that has tried using a cream/milk separator as a centrifuge to clean WVO.

Location: Austraila | Registered: September 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, others have posted on this forum that they don't work. No personal experiance to speak from though.

posted Hide Post
Bugger, Thanks mate

Location: Austraila | Registered: September 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There are 2 basic types of centrifuges... liquid / liquid separators and liquid / solid separators.... some L/S separators are self cleaning... most are not... the spinner / dieselcraft is a L/S separator with a canister that must be remove and disassembled for cleaning... cream separators are liquid / liquid but with a little bit of imagination and understanding they can be used to remove solids...

If it was more fun everyone would be doing it!

Location: anytown USA | Registered: December 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I was thinking of hastening the water wash process to remove the soluable fats from the oil that I get. By mixing with water first and draining of the excess water I thought that the cream seperator would do the job of several weeks waiting for settlement process to be complete. And take the solid particules etc with it.

posted Hide Post
Dougie I am familiar with cream separators having used and cleaned one every day for several years home on the farm. My thoughts are try it with hot oil. If that doesnt work then there is probably not enough space between the plates since they are made for less viscous milk, try removing half of them and spacing the remainder apart with something like pieces of fishing line or something which doesnt interrupt the flow. It would be worth persisting with it, they are after all a pretty good centrifuge, just not made for vege oil.
Johnno

Johnno
4WD Isuzu Jackaroo 3.1 110,000km on WVO 2 tank home built system 6 solenoids. Mk. 8 version.

Location: South Oz | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Buuuuud,
I'd like to know to get the plans, Please give me your paypal info and I'll paypal you the money so I can get started. I love these projects.
Thanks,
Rickr2001

Location: Salinas, CA | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Buuuuud:
To all who are concerned about safty in the operation of a centrifuge.

Buud, I can not find a place to order your centrifuge plans from.
Rune

Location: CENTRAL CARIBOO IN BC. | Registered: May 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
RUNE and rickr2001.

Sorry I haven't gotten back to you, but I have had other RATs to kill for a while.

The ordering info is somewhere back in this thread but I don't remember where.

You can order through PayPal or with credit card through PayPal and the account number is my e-mail which is posted on my profile. We also take checks money orders or cash, if you have picture ID. Yuk Yuk. US price = $27.50, Canada = $28.50. E-mail is spikee@lewiscounty.com

Snail mail

Bud Pitts
5162 Hwy. 508
Morton, Wash. 98356

Thanks for your interest.

Buuuuud
We sure have had lots of WATER, herein the West. No Yuk Yuk there.

Location: Morton, Wash. USA | Registered: February 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Buuuuud, are the plans available by e-mail ?? I am in CostaRica ??

Location: Costa Rica | Registered: October 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Sorry about that Deadheader, I have to send a hard copy, snail mail

That all I can do, here in the West.

Buuuuud

Location: Morton, Wash. USA | Registered: February 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a suggestion, buuuuud has no way of sending his plans other than snail mail.
Because Buuuuud is obviously a good guy some one who has his plans on paper
could scan them and E-mail them to buuuud, Buuuuud can save them and E-mail
a copy to any one he wishes.
Cecil P.

Location: eastern shore | Registered: July 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post