Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home
The Spinner Centrifuge Plans: Review

This topic can be found at:
http://biodiesel.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/159605551/m/9751014751

January 20, 2007, 06:04 PM
Coling
The Spinner Centrifuge Plans: Review
Hi Buuud
Snail mail it will be as I can not get my head round your payment system. Can you also help me with details of scalling up, I am looking for 1000 L per hour, I dont mind putting the work in but I will need your guidance.
Many thanks

Boxer Van 2.5 B100 most of the time 160,000 miles on the clock and she hates normal road diesel, I think she may be hooked.

Citon Axantia 1.9 Turbo B100 most of the time Loves it, hates normal road diesel 140,000 miles on the clock.

Citron Axantia 2.1 Turbo 120.000 miles as above.
January 20, 2007, 09:07 PM
Buuuuud
Coling,

I don't know how much 1000 L is as I am from the old school here in the West of the US but it sounds like a lot. The centrifuge was not designed for high production. It is mostly for the DYI guys that like to do things for themselves.

However it can be scaled up some in production and that said, it does not mean making it bigger. If you only try to make it larger, you are going to have balance problems and possibly a structural failure and that would not be fun. There are ways to do it and I'll be glad to help you all I can with the knowledge available. All that you need to do is let me know your plans and we can talk about it. PLEASE DO NOT try to build a monstrosity and then try to change it later, when it doesn't work or has problems. You are better off starting all over again rather than try to fix it. PLEASE keep me in the loop. I may not tell you what you want to hear, but I won't lead you astray.

That's the way it looks to me, here in the West.

Buuuuud
January 30, 2007, 02:10 PM
SunWizard
Check out http://www.simplecentrifuge.com

Now we can finally see what one looks like. $500 for the bowl, $218 for motor, and he says he will be selling the other parts and a complete CF soon.

He says Buuuud's plans are "modeled after one of our early machines", "dimensioned after a scrap billet he purchased from me."

This may help some of those who have purchased plans to complete their machines.

YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary, see www.burnveg.com/forum
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4
Zero fossil house- 100% solar power and heat.
February 01, 2007, 03:23 PM
fabricator
quote:
Originally posted by nitrov:
i bought a bowl and motor from www.simplecentrifuge.com it matched up so nice and i finally got my outer unit and lid finished and it works great!! sounds really well i have it in my garage, processing oil as we speak, it can process all night long if i want it to. i did not have to buy any plans to build this machine, Thanks to www.simplecentrifuge.com i just checked their website, they have a new bowls out that is self draining, how cool would that be!
NitroV

What kind of through put are you getting gallons per hour wise? Does one time through clean the oil? Have you done a water test on cleaned oil?
February 01, 2007, 03:35 PM
phasmatisnox
I have access to several large lathes and I can do machine work if anyone is interested. Send me a PM.

GMC Sierra Classic 1500 with 6.2L diesel
February 01, 2007, 10:43 PM
maddasher
Best bid I got was $300. I was thinking $100-150 for the spinning bowl. Most people would not even give me an estimate! 5 Shops at this point. That is not counting the welder that refered me to 3 of the shops.

I actually am considering getting a 9-10 inch steel tube and having plate steel welded on the top and the bottom. Then having it machined and balanced. But then I have to pay three different people that can not be cheap.

Why would we spend $500 on parts when we could buy the dieselcraft spinner for $200?

My .02 cents

Robert
In Fort Lauderdale running a 2006 Jeep Liberty CRD 2 veg tanks HOH 2 upgraded greasecar vavles 3/8 fuel line 5/8 heater line HOH Hose wrapped filter. Injector Line heater on the Common Rail. 2nd car 2005 Mercedes CDI, Raw Power fuel pump, 36 gallon veg tank in trunk coolant heated HOH, rubber hose wrapped fuel filter, FPHE, 3 greasecar valves, Common rail line heater.
February 02, 2007, 12:48 AM
dumby
quote:
Originally posted by maddasher:
Best bid I got was ....
OUCH. In my undeducated thoughts on this I would think you could take a heafty cooking pot and have a hole hole milled into the top. Have the top mig welded on orr??. WHALA..... you now have the spinning bowl minus the verticle center thingy that looks like kinky womans toy.

Or.... a piece of FAT steel pipe and a two pieces of flat plate. have a hole cut into the top one. weld them on. whala...... another bowl.

either one can be balanced by a shop.

Question--- the center thingy... in the middle of the bowl. That kinky woman's toy piece. Do you have to have that? Why not just spin a free span bowl?
February 02, 2007, 08:02 AM
fabricator
quote:
Originally posted by dumby:
quote:
Originally posted by maddasher:
Best bid I got was ....
OUCH. In my undeducated thoughts on this I would think you could take a heafty cooking pot and have a hole hole milled into the top. Have the top mig welded on orr??. WHALA..... you now have the spinning bowl minus the verticle center thingy that looks like kinky womans toy.

Or.... a piece of FAT steel pipe and a two pieces of flat plate. have a hole cut into the top one. weld them on. whala...... another bowl.

either one can be balanced by a shop.

Question--- the center thingy... in the middle of the bowl. That kinky woman's toy piece. Do you have to have that? Why not just spin a free span bowl?

The motor shaft sticks into that.
February 02, 2007, 10:05 AM
dumby
quote:
Originally posted by fabricator:
quote:
Originally posted by dumby:
...Question--- the center thingy... in the middle of the bowl. That kinky woman's toy piece. Do you have to have that? Why not just spin a free span bowl?
The motor shaft sticks into that.
So that big butt plug could simply be a plate with pipe welded to it and some hefty gussets. Then Balanced. This could sit atop the motor, or pulley.(inverted pipe down plate on top) and the balanced bowl made of pipe or pot as described above attached to that. Sounds way cheaper to me and almost as strong. Course now you got to do something differnt for the oil catcher that surrounds the spinning drum. On second thought, maybe you would not have to invert it. If it is inside bowl it may help the contaminants break free of the oil?

Don't forget a heafty safety enclosure too.
February 02, 2007, 10:54 AM
im6under
quote:
Why would we spend $500 on parts when we could buy the dieselcraft spinner for $200?

donning ye old flame suit...

the dieselcraft is a multi-pass tinker toy in comparison and there is just as much work to make one functional.

not saying the dieselcraft doesn't or won't work but it is a batch processor instead of a single pass design.

depending on what your expectations are is the difference between what you consider the "cheaper" route.

Though your argument is very clever, I don't think it will lead to the results you desire. gandhi
February 02, 2007, 06:42 PM
jnasystems
So how much capacity is there in the reservoir?
Why is there a lip that goes outside the bowl?
The dieselcraft makes 2000g's and still takes 4 hours to filter 55 gallons. Can this home built CF hold up to 2000g's to speed the time it takes to filter with it?
Would this CF lend itself to a mobile filtration station?

My last thought is one of cost. The dieselcraft line only starts at $250, the OC50 is about $450 and has a much larger bowl capacity and can clean 108 gallons in 4 hours.

I don't want to start an argument. I am interested in building my own CF, just need to figure out a way to make it safe and efficient. It would be nice to have something with a large enough to hold all the water and debris from 50 gallons and fast enough to do that overnight and safe enough to leave unattended.

You are right about it being a tinker toy as it needs to be taken apart and cleaned at least 4 times per batch, but it is small enough and can clean oil fast enough to use it on an on-the-fly system.
February 03, 2007, 06:43 AM
im6under
quote:
So that big butt plug could simply be a plate with pipe welded to it and some hefty gussets. Then Balanced. This could sit atop the motor, or pulley.(inverted pipe down plate on top) and the balanced bowl made of pipe or pot as described above attached to that. Sounds way cheaper to me and almost as strong. Course now you got to do something differnt for the oil catcher that surrounds the spinning drum. On second thought, maybe you would not have to invert it. If it is inside bowl it may help the contaminants break free of the oil?

Don't forget a heafty safety enclosure too.

something like this????? though the centerpiece is billet material.

custom built from two pressure cooker pots this worked but got scarey at 5000rpm. At 6000 rpm it is known to paint better than wagner.

Ohhh Nellie.... back'er down boys... eject eject eject !!!!! ; )

http://www.google.com/base/a/1327560/D512080997153896524

Though your argument is very clever, I don't think it will lead to the results you desire. gandhi
February 03, 2007, 09:51 AM
dumby
quote:
Originally posted by im6under:

The inner pot, is that the top of the smaller pressure cooker with a hole milled in it or? If so did you NOT keep the top removable?

How much did it cost to have the billet butt plug made?
February 03, 2007, 01:16 PM
rkpatt
FWIW - A bundt cake baking pan( like for angel food cake etc) looks similar to that first picture . However ,these are usually only 3-4 inches deep, the sides taper down toward the center and it is made of thin metal. Too risky for me to try .

1994 F250 IDI 7.3 NA E4OD

Remember that the forum search/"find" feature does not include the archives . Search the forum archives here-

http://www.biodieseldiscussion.com/forums/search.php
February 03, 2007, 02:37 PM
antifuel1
Have any of you tried old or new propane and or freon tanks yet for makeing your spinner bowls and catch tanks? they come almost for free [used] in 1-lb, 5,10,20,40, and 100-lb bottles world wide. remove valve purge properly, remove valve shield and base off tank [base could be left on a ported as an extra baffel th help control clean oil flow,] cut hole in bottom of tank tank for wvo input. U top of tank valve hole as center point for spindel mount. Use tank for outer clean oil catch tank from spinner
February 08, 2007, 05:47 PM
Chariotdriver
I wanted to let everyone know about a CF setup that I have for sale on Frybrid. It is a commercial CF and you would just need the drum.
It is located in the San Louis Obispo CA reas na would have to be picked up.
Here is a link to the sale/auction
http://www.frybrid.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6996
Hope you can use this.
Phil
February 11, 2007, 10:02 PM
im6under
the cone shaped center was turned from solid material and bolted thru from the bottom of the smaller pressure cooker.

large hole is milled n the lid (still removeable)

It isn't balanced. hence the oil van gogh above 5000 rpm. Big Grin

seems to be ok at or around less than 4k.

balancing is in the works just to see how it fares afterwards.

personally, it is functional now so I see no reason to do anything more to this one. Name it proto-type 42 and start on 43 is my vote.

February 22, 2007, 07:46 AM
rkpatt
Im6under- Maybe this is a low budget alternative for me . Could the the inner pot be a light gauge pot ? How did you find center on both pots ? How do you balance this ? - Thanks

1994 F250 IDI 7.3 NA E4OD

Remember that the forum search/"find" feature does not include the archives . Search the forum archives here-

http://www.biodieseldiscussion.com/forums/search.php
March 06, 2007, 05:13 PM
Ron Frazier
Hello all,

I am new to the group. I am interested in converting my 1981 Mercedes 300 SD to run on SVO or WVO, which I bought for that purpose. I've been doing a good bit of reading for about a year and know generally how things are supposed to work. I don't have the funds to do the conversion now, but I'm eventually considering a Frybrid system or possibly a custom system like those described by Dana.

I was looking into oil purification methods and ran across this thread. The idea of a centrifuge appeals to me. I am very tentatively exploring the idea of setting one up here and considering purifying oil for others. I would like to see what the interest in my area might be for having me purify your oil and or working together to build and operate a shared centrifuge along with other associated equipment such as settling tanks, etc. I am in Cumming, GA; which is North of Atlanta, GA. So, I have the following questions.

* How many of you in the Atlanta, GA or nearby area might be interested in either operating a centrifuge on a shared basis or bringing me oil to purify?

* About how much oil would you need per week or month?

* How big would each batch be? What turnaround time would you expect?

* What level of micron filtering would you expect?

* What maximum level of water content would you expect?

* What maximum level of phosphorous, indicative of gum, would you expect? Does the centrifuge even affect this? (I know very little about this gum.)

* How concerned would you be that you get YOUR oil out of the process? In other words, lets say you bring me 5 gallons of oil and pour in my machine in a big tank. I provide you with 5 gallons of purified oil. But, it may not be the exact same oil that you brought in, but what someone else brought in that was in the system. How big a concern is that?

* How concerned would you be if I also purify other types of oil, such as heating oil or hydraulic oil, with the equipment?

* Finally, how much would you be willing to pay, on a per gallon basis, to have your oil purified?

Any comments, discussion, and opinions are welcome. Again, this is very tentative. Please feel free to also email me at vegoilinfo AT c3energy DOT com.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Sincerely,

Ron
March 27, 2007, 10:10 PM
awwilliam
SmileI just dry ran my homebuilt centrifuge a few minutes ago and it appears to be balanced pretty well. I fabricated mine from steel tube and plate. I will disassemble and clean everything tomorrow including the bearings before running it for any length of time. I would like to thank Budd for sharing/selling plans for his centrifuge. I have made a few modifications from his design in that mine has a removable top and bearing support above and below the rotor. By adding the bearing support above the rotor it will be more stable at faster speeds but make it harder to clean the gunk out. I will also have to feed the oil into the centrifuge through the center shaft, that should be interesting. I will post how this works out after running some oil through it.