posted
Is the Frybrid site down?
Ken Gardner

One Day At A Time Wink
2000 F450 7.3 Powerstroke / Tigman, FN74 WVO conversion
96 Dodge Cummins 2500 4x4 / Homebuilt WVO conversion
Listeroid Generator on used ATF
Living off grid

Location: Montana City, Montana | Registered: August 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Has anyone tried to log onto Frybrid in tne last couple days?

One Day At A Time Wink
Living off grid

Location: Montana City, Montana | Registered: August 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I cannot get on either.

2001 f-350 ext cab 7.3. 04/10 DIY check valve system. 20 plate FPHE,Fass HPFP set at 70 PSI, TIH, Davco 322 filter head with 10 micron spin on filter,150 micron prefilter, Hydraforce purge valve, 60 liter poly tank with hotfox, ss braided hose to heads,, oil temp, pressure & fuel gauges.

Location: Nova Scotia. | Registered: July 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Frybrid is either down for "maintenance" or down for good. On more than one occasion the reports of its demise was a bit premature. That said, Chris Goodwin has 3 corporations that are now listed as "inactive" by the State of Washington (Frybrid LLC, Alternative Energy Systems LLC, and Fail-Safe Fuel Systems LLC).

The AES website as the only authorized dealer (his own company) that sells the Frybrid kits and parts is still up.

posted Hide Post
Do not buy anything from Chris Goodwin at Frybrid, LLC or Alternative Energy Systems, LLC. Chris does not know how to run a business. He makes promises he can’t keep. I feel he would have stolen my money had I not been very persistent. Frybrid has earned an “F” by the BBB. The best way to explain is to tell my story.

I was interested in converting an old Mercedes to run on waste vegetable oil (WVO). I purchased a book called “SVO” by Forest Green (this is a good book and I’d recommend it). When later speaking with Chris on the phone, it sounded like he worked with Forest on some of the book or at least the design of the system. They had a falling out of sorts and the book is attributed to Forest (who apparently did his thesis for his doctorate on the subject). I can only assume Forest couldn’t stand Chris’s personality. Nevertheless, the book is good and you should buy it.

After knowing everything that was involved in the conversion and after buying a car I had a few options: buy a kit from Frybrid, Greasecar, or put one together myself. After some research and lack of a welding shop, I decided to go with Frybrid. It was pricy, but I’m a picky engineer and I liked the design. I’ll give Chris a compliment on this part. I made a few tweaks, but it’s the best design overall of the kits out there. I’ll emphasize here that it’s not worth the hassle of purchasing from Chris/Frybrid/AES. I repeat, do not buy from him. The design is posted online and in the SVO book: you’d be best making it yourself or having a local metalworking shop do it for you. The main parts you need are the aluminum WVO tank, heated fuel filter, heat exchanger, and aluminum-tube-in-heater-hose lines. The rest you can scrounge up at hardware stores.

Chris/Frybrid/AES/etc was very helpful at first (although sometimes abrasive and argumentative). He discussed things with me on the phone and gave me recommendations. I will admit he is knowledgeable. When I asked to pay via PayPal he said he didn’t accept that and preferred check. I stupidly agreed since he’d been so helpful, but insisted on an invoice and parts list. Once I paid him I did not hear from him much--and then not at all. He had several excuses of a personal nature dealing with family matters and illness that I’ll kindly not repeat here. Perhaps they were true, but based on other peoples’ experiences and just his overall untrustworthiness I am tempted to not believe his excuses. Anyways, I had to contact the Washington State Attorney General’s Office to form a case against him. Long story short, it forced him to ship my order after a few months. I assume if I had not gone to such lengths (I was prepared to bring all hell against him) that he would have tried to let this fall through the cracks. He messed with the wrong guy.

It arrived poorly packaged, but I was lucky it was mostly undamaged. It was missing several things, but thankfully the big items were there and I was satisfied I got the majority of the order. The parts were fairly well-made. I installed the system myself before writing this review and will say it all works without problem (although the intake line in the tank is a little high and I can’t let it get lower than ¼ tank unless I modify it myself later).

Frybrid has an “F” from the BBB. It seems he later tried to change the company name to Alternative Energy Systems. I assume this was because of the bad reputation Frybrid got. Anyways, the following names and contacts should not be trusted:
Chris Goodwin or Frybrid or Alternative Energy Systems
1218 10th Ave
Seattle, WA.
OR
3031 W. Commodore Way
Seattle, Wa. 98199
206-322-6242
info@frybrid.com

To conclude, do not buy any Frybrid product. Do not buy from a “Chris Goodwin.” Do not buy from Alternative Energy Systems. He and his companies are just not dependable, even if he is not intentionally trying to steal your money. I’m posting this everywhere I can find. If Chris responds to any of this, be wary of trusting anything in his response. Find other people’s complaints too. Buy the slightly less effective Greasecar system or build your own based on the design in the book SVO by Forest Green. I hope this helps others out there.

posted Hide Post
After dying a very slow death it would appear the Frybrid website maybe down for the count. For the last week or so all you get is "Server not found". Too bad things went the way it did. The product itself was good if you were fortunate enough to get a kit.

posted Hide Post
GOOD!

posted Hide Post
I sure miss the good old days when we were all excited about burning WVO. My last WVO rig has died. Today I wish I knew how many miles I drove on the stuff. I now am into cleaning oil for livestock feed.

Great friendships were made on the forums of the day. I wonder where those guys are today. How many are still on oil, are the old trucks still running? I have been through two trucks and only of one fellow from the early days still on WVO. We put a couple rigs together back in 2004 & 2005.
Be Well Boys. I'll drop in again sometime.

One Day At A Time Wink
Living off grid

posted Hide Post
I am happy to say I purchased a complete MB kit a few yrs ago with no problems ordering it, shipment and no damage when the pkg arrived. It's too bad about Frybrid's direction. Many of Frybrid's system drawings, IMHO, are very good. I've participated since Oct 2005 with a few contributions that have worked for me. My Frybrid conversion has and is still running flawlessly.

posted Hide Post
Between family and friends I have converted more than 10 Vehicles.
I always have been amazed and wondered why anyone would need a kit to run WVO. I also maintain if you can't convert your own vehicle, you shouldn't be running wvo. The problems I have seen a number of people have that did get other people to do their conversion bears this out. At least with a kit fitted yourself you know how things work.

Things as simple as a blocked filter have had them stranded as well as stuck changeover valves they had no idea to bypass.

I remember in the heyday it was all about saving the planet and a load of other environmental do good crap. Those of us who said we were in it for the cost savings were ridiculed and lambasted yet I don't know of one single whingeing moral high horse do gooder who didn't drop out of it years ago.
So much for all their moralistic crap.

Meanwhile, the few guys I do know whom are still doing bio or wvo are the same guys who always said they were in it for the cost saving.
They are still meeting all the lofty ideals of the do gooders who like the true hypocrites they are have gone back to the Fossil fuels they swore were the work of the devil and the undoing of the world.

posted Hide Post
Dragonfly... I remember you. I still have my 7.3 oil burner. Need to replace theinjectors and a couple other repairs and we will be back on WVO.

One Day At A Time Wink
Living off grid

posted Hide Post
There was a lot of useful information that was lost when the Frybrid site died. It is regrettable that it was not archived. I imagine that this will be a trend if fuel prices continue to remain low for much longer. Using VO as fuel is a very "hands on" technology and even a small shift in fuel cost or VO availability can make using VO fuel economically impractical.

I still have two VO fuelled vehicles but am converting over to syngas as electric vehicles get better and cheaper. My Dodge Ram and Mercedes powered S-10 will continue to be my "heavy haulers" since there do not appear to be any practical electric trucks on the horizon...but for just hauling people the "wood chip" powered electric car is much more practical.

I currently use a pyrochemical reactor to convert cellulostic waste material to syngas to power a generator. The electricity produced is then used to run the shop and house and charge the car. "Waste" heat produced is used as to heat the shop and pool, and to dry wood chips. I am experimenting with using agricultural field waste instead of wood chips and it looks very promising. I had always hoped that VO could be widely used as a carbon neutral fuel but it appears that algal oil production will probably not ramp up enough to make that a practical option in my lifetime.

Cellulose is the most abundant carbon neutral fuel on the planet and the syngas conversion equipment can actually be modified to produce "net negative carbon fuel"...in that more carbon is removed from the atmosphere than released by making and using it. And since it is so abundant it is likely to remain "free" for a long time for those interested in using it. I hope others will consider experimenting with syngas technology and share success' and failures on a forum similar to this..and the Frybrid forum.

I have a profound gratitude for this forum and those participants who helped develop the technology that allowed diesel engines to operate reliably on VO fuel. I greatly benefited from the discussion and believe that if a new generation of "alternative fuel" enthusiasts apply themselves to cellulose based alternative fuel technology development everyone on the planet will benefit. I want to personally thank all the "old hands" that contributed to the development of VO fuel technology.

The most enduring legacy these forums may leave is the understanding that even a small group of dedicated experimenters can rapidly develop alternative fuel technologies if they can work together.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Dana,