BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Straight Vegetable Oil (SVO) as fuel  Hop To Forums  General SVO Discussion    Good Source for non-gear hose clamps? The type that don't mar hoses?

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Good Source for non-gear hose clamps? The type that don't mar hoses?
 Login/Join

posted
I've bought many from Napa Auto Parts but they're like $1.50ea. I've decided to use these exclusively from now on and was hoping to find a less expensive source. please post links!

Here's what I'm looking for:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#53175k82/=3l2i5l

posted Hide Post

posted Hide Post
quote:

Sweeet! McMaster would seem to be making a killing...

posted Hide Post
quote:
Sweeet! McMaster would seem to be making a killing...

100% profit margin for McMaster: nice (for them)!

I got a bit of mail last night from Charter along the same lines. It was marked "Very Important Information Enclosed!" It was an offer for me to get more Charter services for 2x what I pay now. I commented to my wife, "Yep; Very Important Info alright...FOR THEM!!"

Location: Southern WI, USA | Registered: May 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
These are called fuel hose style clamps.

All the clamps in my Mercedes for every hose came in this style, or the worm gear style that has depressions as groves on the band but not slats cut right through the band.. I think you know what I mean. Anyway, both are excellent at not cutting rubber. So maybe if you ever come across a wrecked Benz take every hose clamp off it you can find. Probably as good as the day they were put on...

Regards,
Scott
1987 Mercedes 300D - 2 tank VO

Location: Edmonton | Registered: April 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scott McPhee:
These are called fuel hose style clamps.

All the clamps in my Mercedes for every hose came in this style, or the worm gear style that has depressions as groves on the band but not slats cut right through the band.. I think you know what I mean. Anyway, both are excellent at not cutting rubber. So maybe if you ever come across a wrecked Benz take every hose clamp off it you can find. Probably as good as the day they were put on...

Good advice! But since the clamps at the site suggested are $.50ea I ordered 50 Smile

posted Hide Post
Yup great prices BUT there is a $25 minimum.

vegoil and biodiesel since May 2006

Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The pvc shrink wrap tubing is very cheap too - I had no trouble assembling an order Smile

posted Hide Post
Cool Cool

vegoil and biodiesel since May 2006

Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like to get rid of the hose clamps and just use push lock fittings No Hose clamp required. My local ACE Hardware store carries them. If you design from the begining and do not buy barb fitting it is not even that much more money. A flare fitting and a push lock in fuel hose sizes is about $5 for both. Then never leak and are easy to disconnect.

Robert
In Fort Lauderdale running a 2006 Jeep Liberty CRD 2 veg tanks HOH 2 upgraded greasecar vavles 3/8 fuel line 5/8 heater line HOH Hose wrapped filter. Injector Line heater on the Common Rail. 2nd car 2005 Mercedes CDI, Raw Power fuel pump, 36 gallon veg tank in trunk coolant heated HOH, rubber hose wrapped fuel filter, FPHE, 3 greasecar valves, Common rail line heater.

Location: Ft Lauderdale, FL | Registered: June 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I guess I don't understand how a push lock fitting could keep a hose on. Does the little ring get forced over the OD of the hose to secure it?

posted Hide Post

posted Hide Post
Actually the grove on the barb are canted and the hose goes on tight it digs into the hose in order to remove the hose you have to cut it with a razor knife get it off.

On my Cummins truck I was blowing holes in the fuel lines usually around the hose clamp especially on long trips then I switched to Gate LOL fuel line that works exceptionally well with pushlock fittings (LockOnLine)? I changed them all but two. I develop a leak around the Veg-therm where one of the hose clamps was and I removed the veg-therm and all of the hose clamps and never had a leak again.

Push-lock are really great as attachments for the fuel filter. You can just disconnect them remove the filter and reinstall easily.

If you order them from the above post they are even cheap!

Robert
In Fort Lauderdale running a 2006 Jeep Liberty CRD 2 veg tanks HOH 2 upgraded greasecar vavles 3/8 fuel line 5/8 heater line HOH Hose wrapped filter. Injector Line heater on the Common Rail. 2nd car 2005 Mercedes CDI, Raw Power fuel pump, 36 gallon veg tank in trunk coolant heated HOH, rubber hose wrapped fuel filter, FPHE, 3 greasecar valves, Common rail line heater.

Location: Ft Lauderdale, FL | Registered: June 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So what is your experience using these Push-Lok fittings on non-push-lok hose? I use mostly Gates 3/8" SAE 30r9 and some 30r7 hose in my installations...

posted Hide Post
I've used these fittings on my track car fuel injection feed - I run upwards of 60 psi on 3/8" ID line. They have been dry and solid for 5 years now, no issues.

Location: Colorado | Registered: March 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They work especially well on gates hoses. You would have to cut them off to remove the hose. I can make a pretty good bet if you use the right size hose and fitting they will not come off without a knife or cutters or a torch.

Robert