BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Straight Vegetable Oil (SVO) as fuel  Hop To Forums  General SVO Discussion    1984 Veggie 300CD Turbodiesel FOR SALE $10,000

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

1984 Veggie 300CD Turbodiesel FOR SALE $10,000
 Login/Join

posted
Contact Mike for photos and more information

posted Hide Post
You're asking 2-3 times what your car is worth. Please don't post in more than one area; I consider that spam.

'97 F-350 7.3 PSD and '86 F-250 6.9 IDI

Location: Los Lunas, NM USA | Registered: January 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't know the car in question, but $10k for a decent 300CD doesn't strike me as outrageous. After all, they were awesome two-door coupes, often equipped with manual transmissions, and a legendary Mercedes diesel engine. Having previously owned a WVO-converted Mercedes (W210), I was curious enough that I did a quickie search before throwing out an unsupported opinion...

Consider that there are three buy-it-now 300CD listings currently on eBay: one for $6500, one for $14,950, and a third for $29,995. Two others are in auction format -- one with a starting bid of $5500 and another starting at $12,000. That's an average price of just under $14k. Knock out the highest and lowest data points, and the average ask is a bit over $11k. Seems to me like a $10k price is right in the middle of the pack. The idea that it's "two or three times" too much is simply uninformed; you could easily part the car out for more than $3500.

Of course, whether a grease conversion is a pro or con is an entirely separate conversation. But no one asked!

Cheers, John

posted Hide Post
Mmm ... it's not exactly an uninformed opinion. I've owned six Mercedes of this vintage, have done a lot of repair work, and more than a decade of research into their pricing. And I can tell you for a fact that in my region (the Southwest), you'd never get more than $4k for one, regardless of miles or condition. It's one case of the NADA prices and "real" prices being 180 degrees from one another.

No pictures, no real info about the car, and the only posts here by kitesailor are for selling WVO or for trying to get $10k for this car. ... but perhaps that's incidental. Because of that, however, it's therefore fair to assume the worst about the car, not the best as you seem to have done. A link to pictures or more info about the car and the conversion would go a long way toward changing that opinion.

Moreover, as we see here, people can *ask* whatever they want. Citing what others are asking for similar cars doesn't support your argument. Showing "sold for" figures, on the other hand, would.

As to the grease conversion -- for people like you and me, and assuming the person who installed it knew what he was doing (which, a lot of the time, is not a safe assumption), it adds value to the car. But for the average buyer, if they don't run screaming the moment they hear the word "grease," they at least will use it as a bargaining position to talk the price down considerably. Typically by at least half.

Regardless, I'm curious, kitesailor. Has your car sold? How much did you get for it -- and be honest, please.

'97 F-350 7.3 PSD and '86 F-250 6.9 IDI

Location: Los Lunas, NM USA | Registered: January 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post