BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Straight Vegetable Oil (SVO) as fuel  Hop To Forums  General SVO Discussion    what cuts the grease? (cleanup)

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

what cuts the grease? (cleanup)
 Login/Join

posted
I've got some cosmetic cleanup to do on areas where veggy drips and whatnot have left orangish varnish over time, and where pooled in areas on the frame, a sticky mess is left behind.

Engine degreaser doesn't touch this stuff it seems.

What does? Looking for a spray on, hose off type solution, not elbow grease.

Regards,
Scott
1987 Mercedes 300D - 2 tank VO

Location: Edmonton | Registered: April 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
glycerol/glycerine byproduct from biodiesel is an excellent degreaser and de-odorizer.

Breaks just about any kind of grease, fuel, oil, bathroom mold...

kills bugs, flying insects, wasps can't fly when sprayed on them with a 25:1 water/glycerol(ine) ration. Kills weeds within a day or two.

I also use it to wash the cars, clean up oil drips, and works really good for cleaning engine parts with a little water added.

And, it cleans up old, gelled WVO, very well I might add.

While cold water works to rinse off the glycerol/glycerine, warm to hot water works faster.

I love biodiesel glycerine!

Location: Columbus, GA, USA | Registered: September 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2010 Sponsor
posted Hide Post
Sodium Hydroxide
Which is in Oven Cleaner, Red Devil Lye, Zep Industrial Purple Cleanser Concentrate, etc.

I looked into my spare tire well a few weeks back. Car has been on WVO for three years. I had suspected I was getting some WVO in the tire well when pouring from 5 gal cans into my trunk mounted tank. It was about an inch deep, had attacked the spare tire and caused the rubber to disintegrate. What a mess! I had some of the Zep concentrate and mixed it per the directions with water. Worked great! It basically (no pun intended) is Sodium Hydroxide, the main ingredient along with some other chemicals. Sodium Hydroxide is a very strong caustic cleaner. Don't put it on aluminum, especially if it is polished. The shine will leave in a hurry. Sodium Hydroxide etches aluminum. Anyone that has cleaned an oven knows how well the oven cleaner works. It will remove paint, so go lightly on painted surfaces.

posted Hide Post
Both are correct. Use the glycerol first, and for anything that's left after that, use generic brand oven cleaner.

Location: coldest N.America | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2013 sponsor
posted Hide Post
The high pH of the caustic (sodium hydroxide, potassium hydroxide, oven cleaner) really cuts the grease. It actually converts the oils into a soap. That's why when any of a caustic cleaner gets on your skin you get that slimy feel that doesn't seem to want to rinse off. The caustic is reacting with the oils in your skin. I always have something slightly acidic around to neutralize any contact with caustic on my skin. Rinse it first with water to get the bulk off and then rinse the skin with vinegar, coke , orange juice... anything mild like that.

Bottom line... be careful!

2002 F-250, 7.3l on WVO since '04
'82 VW Rabbit diesel 1.6l na
'83 GMC 6.2l Class C RV
'85 F-350, 6.9l flat bed
'85 E-350, 6.9l cube van
2 Mercedes 300SD's
3 Chinese Changfa-style diesel generators- 12kw, 8kw & 7.5kw
Mitsubishi 3 cyl diesel generator/light tower
Kubota 2 cyl. diesel, water cooled air compressor
Onan 12.5kw air-cooled diesel genset
I run my company entirely on renewable energy including electricity from generators running on biofuels.

Location: El Dorado, Ark | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Does the glycerol have to come from byproduct of biodiesel, or can I just buy this miracle "product" and would it work just the same ? The whole point of my veggies conversion was to run veggies raw and not have all these byproducts around.

Regards,
Scott
1987 Mercedes 300D - 2 tank VO

Location: Edmonton | Registered: April 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scott McPhee:
Does the glycerol have to come from byproduct of biodiesel...
Pure glycerol would be too expensive to use as a cleaner, and probably wouldn't work as well as biodiesel byproduct. Find people in your area making biodiesel, they would likely have lots to give away.

Location: coldest N.America | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post