BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Straight Vegetable Oil (SVO) as fuel  Hop To Forums  General SVO Discussion    7.3 timing adjust while on WVO

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

7.3 timing adjust while on WVO
 Login/Join

posted
Talking to a guy at a truckstop, and he was telling me about a buddy of his that had a chip or controller or something that allowed him to advance the timing of his 7.3 when he switched to veg oil.

My understanding is that veg oil ignites later than diesel, which is why the engine is slightly smoother and quieter on WVO-- but I do notice a bit less pep when I am running hot oil.

Guy didn't know exactly what his buddy used, and I didn't get contact info to ask.

Anyone point me in the right direction?

Regards, and TIA

Nathan

2001 Excursion
Stock diesel tank, plus 55 aux WVO tanks from Northern tool. HIH to Raw Power pump (stock pump plumbed parallel as a backup). 30 plate FPHE, 203* tstat, heated canister filter, Thermometer controlled Vegetherm mega in case I ever want to visit Alaska and need a bit of a boost. Mechanical selector and loop valves plumbed into floor left of drivers seat. 249k miles--75k on biodiesel/WVO.

Location: Florida | Registered: May 03, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I should add, I am driving a 2001 Excursion with 2 tank rig. Oil temps run 165-175.

2001 Excursion
Stock diesel tank, plus 55 aux WVO tanks from Northern tool. HIH to Raw Power pump (stock pump plumbed parallel as a backup). 30 plate FPHE, 203* tstat, heated canister filter, Thermometer controlled Vegetherm mega in case I ever want to visit Alaska and need a bit of a boost. Mechanical selector and loop valves plumbed into floor left of drivers seat. 249k miles--75k on biodiesel/WVO.

2013 sponsor
posted Hide Post
I have yet to find anyone offering a chip tuned to WVO. However, DP Tuners will burn one for running 85% WMO (Waste Motor Oil). They say it really helps to eliminate a slight smoke haze to the exhaust while running on used motor oil.

I talked with them a few years ago and they really didn't like the idea of veg oil. I'll be really interested in something to optimize performance while running on WVO.

2002 F-250, 7.3l on WVO since '04
'82 VW Rabbit diesel 1.6l na
'83 GMC 6.2l Class C RV
'85 F-350, 6.9l flat bed
'85 E-350, 6.9l cube van
2 Mercedes 300SD's
3 Chinese Changfa-style diesel generators- 12kw, 8kw & 7.5kw
Mitsubishi 3 cyl diesel generator/light tower
Kubota 2 cyl. diesel, water cooled air compressor
Onan 12.5kw air-cooled diesel genset
I run my company entirely on renewable energy including electricity from generators running on biofuels.

Location: El Dorado, Ark | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Todd T.

Sounds like in need to need to find a tuner with a dyno and a sense of curiosity.

2001 Excursion

posted Hide Post
I dont think they make a sw tune for your Ford, but Elsbett does make a 'chip' for many european cars, to adapt for SVO on 1-tank, 2-tank and biodiesel and DPF equipped .
http://www.greasenergy-shop.co...toffe_und_Mischungen

1-tank Elsbett VW TDI , 220,000 WVO miles.
http://ctbiodzl.freeshell.org/votdi.html
and a '92 F-250 with only a FPHE

Location: Ct,USA | Registered: November 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post