Find
Notify
Tools

Golden Fuel Systems
 Login/Join

posted
Does this business return emails?

posted Hide Post
I don't know their status these days. I had their conversion on a '98 Mercedes and was very pleased with it. Mine was installed by their team down in Houston (edit: American Greenfuels, if they are still around), and I was very pleased with the setup. Cross-linked 20-gallon poly tank, Racor filter housing, HOH lines and heated pickup in tank, etc.

Low oil/diesel prices are usually hard on these WVO conversion companies, as the math on ROI changes pretty dramatically...

Cheers, John

posted Hide Post
Emails are not replied, orders rejected. Unfortunately another line of product unavailable.

posted Hide Post
The Bio bandwagon Bubble has burst. I can't for the life of me understand why with all the info on the net now anyone would want a kit anyway. If you can't do your own conversion, you shouldn't be mucking round with alternative fuels in the first place.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ttommy:
The Bio bandwagon Bubble has burst.

I agree with this. It happens every time fossil fuel is cheap.

quote:
Originally posted by Ttommy:
I can't for the life of me understand why with all the info on the net now anyone would want a kit anyway. If you can't do your own conversion, you shouldn't be mucking round with alternative fuels in the first place.

I wholeheartedly disagree with this, unless you place no value on convenience or on your own time. Having a complete set of parts that are known to fit and work with one another has value to me. Not making twenty trips to the Home Depot has value to me. Having a tank which has sizing and features well-matched to the vehicle, rather than whatever you could build or scrounge, has value to me. My time is valuable and I am simply willing to pay some premium for products that do not waste my time. In the case of my original WVO conversion, I was similarly willing to pay a professional installer to set it up in the car for me. I was more than capable of doing it myself -- but it made a lot more sense for me to let a pro handle it while I went to the office and earned more than enough money to pay him instead.

It's the same reason I usually don't bother with my own oil changes in my cars. It's just too easy, cheap, and fast to let someone else do it, and I can preserve my time for more productive or more fun activities.

In any case, I saw that no products are in the GFS website catalog anymore. They had some nice tank designs and vehicle-specific parts, so I am sorry to see them fail. Their business model is not for everyone, certainly, but I thought it was a good one back when I used them.

Cheers, John

posted Hide Post
Why on earth would you have to make 20 trips to the hardware store. I can't believe you or anyone else that would attempt this was that incompetent or inept at DIY.

You make it sound like this is Aerospace engineering. It's not, it's a simple 2nd fuel system with switch-over capability. Like I said, if you can't figure it out with the amount of info available all this way down the track, you shouldn't be playing with alternative fuels.

The " Valuable Time :" things seems ironic to me. If you don't have enough time to convert the vehicle or change your own oil, How the hell are you going to have time to pick up the oil and process it it to put in the vehicle once a " Professional" or whoever has converted it?
Then there is the thing if you are so happy to go to work and pay people to do things, why bother with veg fuel at all? Why not just go and buy Dino and forget all the time that IS involved otherwise?

That valuable time could also be put to doing other things instead of posting here so your time shortage would not seem as critical as one may be lead to believe.

Your choice what you do and how you spend your $$ but I find your reasoning to have major holes in it.

posted Hide Post
I suppose we have different grasps of what constitutes a hobby or something enjoyable, and what is tedious work we'd rather not bother with. Given the "20 trips to the hardware store" comments, we clearly have different grasps of hyperbole. It's certainly not about a shortage of time. We all have exactly the same amount of time in a day. It's about choosing how we spend that time, or at least the portion of it that we consider to be free for such things.

You're right that tinkering around with a spare fuel tank, some valves, and some lines isn't rocket science. That is not mutually exclusive with being something that a person might have no interest in doing. (Most people know and care nothing about how internal combustion works, but most of them still drive a car...) You make it sound like picking up waste oil is hard. Keep in mind that it was about ten years ago when I first tinkered with the WVO scene, but coming up with 30-50 gallons a week was a cakewalk and took me an hour if I was relaxed about it. Filtering it required a few minutes of intermittent activity every couple of hours, using a centrifuge setup after settling. Then "ready fuel" just sat in the barrels until I needed it in the car.

For me, it was never really about saving money or protecting the environment or any of that, though I may have unwittingly done a bit of both. My involvement was based around my interest in learning about alternative fuels, diesel engines, and experimenting with both. As happens for many people, the WVO interest evolved into a biodiesel homebrewing interest -- which in my case coincided with the move to a vehicle that was more suited to running B-blends than WVO. I spent a couple years on that as well.

As to economics, these days it's much more rational for me to just stick the nearest D2 nozzle in my truck whenever I need a tank of fuel. I still tinker with alternative fuels, but I mess with it out at my ranch on the weekends -- generator set, tractor engine, and so on. I've pondered experimenting with making alcohol-based fuels, since I'm federally permitted to distill, but my level of interest and level of free time have not yet coincided on that idea.

When I feel like turning wrenches, I again agree with you and go for something more interesting than a fuel tank install -- any grease monkey at the local lube shop can do it. My last "big" project was a twin-turbo V12 build and engine-swap I did in a roadster a couple years ago. And just like WVO, I'm only doing this stuff because it's fun and interesting, not because having 600 horsepower in a 2300lb car makes any practical sense.

A good counter-example is cutting the grass. It makes no sense in the world for me to mow my own lawn, given what it would cost to hire someone to do it for me. I cut my grass because I enjoy it. I get out there with the machine and tune everyone else out for a couple of hours. I actually get a lot of productive thinking done about work and other matters, without interruption. I get to be outside in the sun and heat instead of behind a desk. It's a break from the routine, and it is often fun for me. When I am done, I can physically point at what I accomplished, which is somewhat different from my professional work.

I guess I'd say that for me, this little hobby is equivalent to why a lot of folks play golf. Using a kit or having a pro help with install is akin to hiring a caddy. Do you enjoy playing golf or carrying your clubs? Some will understand that, others will not, but I fail to see what is gained by condemning the set of people with better things to do than run around sourcing a dozen various fittings, hoses, valves, switches, clamps, wires, etc. If you find fulfillment in that part of the project, I don't understand -- but certainly won't begrudge you for it.

Cheers, John