New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Holy Grail
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
have you tested yours at angles.

As in mount it on a board and TILT IT and see what happens. Might want to stand back???

basically find ways to mimic the behaviours of in car things.

Or mount it in a car and put a plate steel barrier between it and passengers so if it grenades it does not take someone out. 6000rpm is mega force. That pot wont protect a thing.

But equally so.... if you believe you can, YOUR RIGHT as well.

Location: North Tx | Registered: November 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Its for stationary use only. period. No ifs, ands or buts. I built one before this using the exact same design, however a slightly different shaft (pulley on the bottom), and 4400rpm rotational speed instead of 6000. I have run hundreds of gallons through it so far. I haven't hooked this one up yet. No time. Will post back when I do.

Yes, the pot is scary. I won't run it around people. Don't worry.

EDIT: Another difference between this one and the other one is that the bottom of this bowl is 1/2" thick, and the top lip, and the sides, are 3/8" thick. The other bowl I made was a 3/8" base and 5/16" sidewall and top.

<1984 Mercedes-Benz 300TD>
Espar Hydronic D5
2 tank, returns to both tanks, backflushing capability
heated dirty tank
holy grail onboard centrifuge

Location: Wells, VT | Registered: July 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Greasy300TDTurbo:
Its for stationary use only....
ahhhhhh ok. Guess it's the "Holy Tea Cup" Big Grin and not yet the Holy Grail Cool

It's a GREAT step in that direction though!

But equally so.... if you believe you can, YOUR RIGHT as well.

Location: North Tx | Registered: November 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't honestly think a mobile centrifuge is a viable option... possibly if it is gimbal mounted on a VERY soft, damped vertical shock absorber or something... but still the jarring going over bumps is just asking for trouble... at 12gph, however, the tank is full in an hour. So that makes an 800-1000 mile day a pretty reasonable goal... You gotta stop to eat or use the facilities every now and then anyway...

EDIT: Also, if you are a trucker, and you actually do the 10 on 8 off thing, you can process 100gal in your 8 off which would get you about 500 free miles..

<1984 Mercedes-Benz 300TD>
Espar Hydronic D5
2 tank, returns to both tanks, backflushing capability
heated dirty tank
holy grail onboard centrifuge

Location: Wells, VT | Registered: July 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
so you're going to run it off of battery power while the car is parked? how much power does the motor use?

84 E-350 clubwagon 6.9

posted Hide Post
Nice work so far! In the pic I see 2 holes on the bottom of the bowl. Are those drain holes? Is the motor you're using a DC brush motor? I wonder what kind of life you'll get out of one.

quote:
Originally posted by Greasy300TDTurbo:
This is nothing less than the holy grail. It is a Bud/Simple Centrifuge style 8" diameter spinner with a 12V 6000rpm motor. The bowl is supported on a shaft with 2 R12 double-shielded ball bearings. The bottom of the shaft has a hole and a pin for the motor shaft. The motor is mounted inline with the shaft and has very little loads on it (no pulley, no weight from the apparatus on it) so it should last quite some time.. I made the bowl, the bearing holder and the shaft on my South-Bend 13" lathe. The bowl was really stretching my tooling capabilities (small boring bars and the 8" round block of aluminum was difficult, at best, to work around.. the machine has all the power it needs though Smile) so its not as perfect as I'd like but it will get the job done just fine.. The bowl is machined from 6061 Aluminum 8" billet that I had left over from the last centrifuge I made (a 4400rpm 110V pulley-driven unit), the bearing holder from sched. 80 pipe, and the shaft from 1" round hot roll. The inner and outer containers are made from cheapo crock-pots from wal mart (which were a nightmare to weld with my MIG.. TIG would have been nice, should have not been lazy and just used the oxy-acetylene torch). The other steel parts were made from 1/4" plate and some 3/8" and 1/2" pipe. The motor is weird.. it has a notch cut out of the shaft that a pin goes through... I got it from www.surplustraders.net. I don't have it fully hooked up quite yet (have to do some wiring and weld a couple nipples onto various tanks), However I have spun it up and run it for about 5minutes and it runs great! not even the slightest hint of vibration or bearings heating up or excessive load on the motor... Oil will be pumped with a 12V Facet pump out of the big heated dirty tank into the centrifuge at about 10-12gph and gravity-fed into the clean tank. At 6000rpm and ~12gph that oil will be CLEAN! Also pictured is the hand powered collection pump that I use to fill the dirty tank from a grease dumpster, cubie, or wherever else I can find unwanted oily hydrocarbons. This is my soon-to-be online self-contained veg refinery in the back of my 300TD. Enjoy!

P.S. I am toying around with making a "production model" that would be somewhat more refined than this one... same motor, same basic arrangement, however a 6" bowl instead of 8" (saves a huge amount of time and money in materials cost, still will clean the oil to an incredible degree at 6000rpm)... The 6" bowl will allow the unit to be significantly less bulky. I will also use better containers than the sh*tty walmart pots... possibly aluminum.. please let me know if there would be any interest in this, or some sort of DIY kit, or whatever... or just look at the pictures and enjoy Big Grin

posted Hide Post
eh?

84 E-350 clubwagon 6.9