Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home
fuel problems I have had

This topic can be found at:
http://biodiesel.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/159605551/m/7697062183

April 12, 2017, 02:50 PM
Rowdy
fuel problems I have had
Warning. I have made and used WVO and converted it to bio-diesel. I spent 9 years, lots of money, equipment, and research to make the best biodiesel. It ultimately clogged my fuel lines, took out 3 injector pumps, and many fuel filters. This stuff will eventually settle out to the bottom of tanks, lines and filters like bad glue.
I am a diesel mechanic and know how to make most repairs myself. I have to send the injection pumps, (two John Deere, one Dodge) off for repairs. Extremely expensive.

Don't learn the hard way like I did, Just use the stuff at the pump!

Yours,
Rowdy
April 12, 2017, 03:44 PM
Dgs
Not so, Rowdy.

What you have written just proves the biodiesel you made was simply not good enough.

I, like many on here have been making quality biodiesel for a long time and never had a problem.

'The best' biodiesel as you call it does not clog up filters or fuel lines or 'take out' fuel pumps.
April 12, 2017, 05:53 PM
Tilly
Hi Rowdy,
Welcome to the forum.

That certainly sounds serious!
I have only been making and using biodiesel for about 15 years and so far have had no problems.
When should I expect the disaster? Wink

April 12, 2017, 09:39 PM
sanddy
hi ive been member for a while but have never posted anything other than a couple of days ago.
anyways ive bought a system off a guy a couple of years ago makes 1000us gallon batches,(batch times are 2 hours)plus settling (8 hours) . it has a methanol recovery unit. and drywash towers. long story but it will be operational in two weeks.
if i decided to sell the system after i got it going, would there be much of a demand for it? in other words would anybody even be interested? ive got such a bad taste in my mouth at this point im not sure if i want to continue.
April 12, 2017, 10:06 PM
Tilly
Hi sanddy,
There seems to have been a huge decline in home brew biodiesel production. You may have difficulty selling anything biodiesel.

Where did the bad taste come from?

April 12, 2017, 10:17 PM
sanddy
ive had to threaten to sue the guy who sold it to me.now im worried about the market in general.(hence the bad taste)if it doesnt fly i just want to know if there would be any interest in it. its not a home brew system though, i could make 5000gal a day easily.
April 13, 2017, 04:45 AM
Dgs
sanddy,

Why are you so worried about the resale value of your set up. Surely the value is what it is worth to you, saving you a lot of money over a peroid of time.
April 13, 2017, 05:57 AM
dannodiesel
Hi Sanddy...
Seems to me that a downturn in biodiesel brewers means more wvo available for the rest of us...
Fuel just went up to $1.25 per Liter here so your payback seems very feasible if you make biodiesel as prices rise...

Problems seem to only occur with partially unreacted wvo or an insufficient settling time after methanol recovery...
And you might have a very sophisticated setup there...

Don't forget about the knowledge, experience and the help available here...

I would be very interested in seeing pictures of your setup and particularly your methanol recovery unit...
Does your system involve vacuum assisted distillation?

Thanks
Dan
April 14, 2017, 01:45 PM
sanddy
thanks danno.

ya ill post some pics. im a rookie big time. meth recv does have vacuum distallation.
im glad to have the support.
what is a good price per litre for sale? for potential buyers?
April 14, 2017, 08:45 PM
dannodiesel
Hi again..
You might have one of the best setups around Sanddy. ..
And you got a few resident experts here that will help ya with any problems. ..
Give it a try...
Lol
Pics would be awesome...
What is your vacuum source?
April 14, 2017, 11:19 PM
sanddy
I didn't buy system for personal use. Or for a long payback period. If I was consuming myself I'd be burning so.
April 14, 2017, 11:24 PM
sanddy
Not sure what you mean by vacuum source.