BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Straight Vegetable Oil (SVO) as fuel  Hop To Forums  General SVO Discussion    Power steering pump powered centrifuge or straight gear pump?

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Power steering pump powered centrifuge or straight gear pump?
 Login/Join

posted
Please will someone with experience using a power steering pump to power a WVO centrifuge reply!!!

I have used a Oberdorfer N991 gear pump for years and find them to last about 8-10 month or so till the lip-seal goes bad and starts grinding into the drive gear assembly shaft. They are great pumps and are self priming BUT that lip-seal is only available from Oberdorfer and is outrageously over priced and difficult to change out without cracking the brittle drive gear assembly shaft bearing (the lip-seal is really lodged in there good!).

I have been investigating alternatives like a power steering pump and went to the junk yard and got one off a 1998 Isuzu Trooper and after some time it would not self prime anymore. So thinking that it was just old and already burnt out due to being a junkyard part, I went to Auto Zone and bought a brand-new one. Shortly thereafter that one had the same problem!

So my question is: Is this just the case with power steering pumps? Do they ALL eventually have issues self priming???

Now it's winter time and the oil is thick until it worms up, but even when it is wormed up it still will not self prime.

I have been doing some research on google and found that other guys use:

power steering pump off a 84 Mitsubishi Montero

power steering pump from a '86-'90 Honda Acura Legend

early 90's Honda Civics supposedly used gear pumps for their power steering pumps, but most others are vain pumps.

and click to open the link according to this thread they are saying that the seals are most likely incompatible with the WVO.

Click to open the link Here is an exploded view of a gear driven power steering pump

I have a onboard CF and filtering system and am tweaking it to get it ready for my yearly cross country summer tour and need to resolve this before the end of May!

Any help at all is greatly appreciated!!!!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Soul108,

2000 E-350 7.3, cooling mist Water injection 150psi pump & one 250cc injector nozzle, Smith bros chromoly pushrods, Swamp single-shot injectors, about 200,000+ miles on SVO so far...

2013 sponsor
posted Hide Post
I'm puzzled. What kind of pre-screen are you using before the pump? I was always taught that a rotary gear pump needs at least an 85 line per inch suction screen. They can't handle much particulate contamination.

I can't see how an Oberdorfer would last any longer or any shorter time than an oil pump. They are essentially the same thing. I've been using a 1/2" rotary gear pump for my veg oil filtration for probably 7 years or more. I can feel it is struggling to prime but it still gets the pressure up.

By the way, are you using the 12v version of the Oberdorfer? I've thought of using that for a transfer pump when I'm on the road. Also, can you share a bit about the water injection? I bought a basic system but have never installed it. Seems that it would be a great preventive measure to clean any coking of the injectors or glow plugs. Where do you have it tapped in to the Powerstroke intake?

2002 F-250, 7.3l on WVO since '04
'82 VW Rabbit diesel 1.6l na
'83 GMC 6.2l Class C RV
'85 F-350, 6.9l flat bed
'85 E-350, 6.9l cube van
2 Mercedes 300SD's
3 Chinese Changfa-style diesel generators- 12kw, 8kw & 7.5kw
Mitsubishi 3 cyl diesel generator/light tower
Kubota 2 cyl. diesel, water cooled air compressor
Onan 12.5kw air-cooled diesel genset
I run my company entirely on renewable energy including electricity from generators running on biofuels.

Location: El Dorado, Ark | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm puzzled. What kind of pre-screen are you using before the pump? I was always taught that a rotary gear pump needs at least an 85 line per inch suction screen. They can't handle much particulate contamination.

Yes I have a good prescreen. That is not the issue.

quote:
I can't see how an Oberdorfer would last any longer or any shorter time than an oil pump. They are essentially the same thing. I've been using a 1/2" rotary gear pump for my veg oil filtration for probably 7 years or more. I can feel it is struggling to prime but it still gets the pressure up.

My old Oberdorfer had viton seals I do not know what type of seals are in the power steering pump nor do I know any other differences that are there that may effect things but I do know that both power steering pumps I am using does not prime after a about a month of regular use. Mad

quote:
By the way, are you using the 12v version of the Oberdorfer?

The pump does not take volts, but yes the pump motor is a 12 volt Lesson 3/4 HP motor (I could have gotten away with a 1/4 HP motor but I went for the over-kill 3/4 HP [I regret it because it is unnecessary too big - If I could do it again I would go with the 1/3 HP 12 volt motor])

quote:
I've thought of using that for a transfer pump when I'm on the road. Also, can you share a bit about the water injection? I bought a basic system but have never installed it. Seems that it would be a great preventive measure to clean any coking of the injectors or glow plugs. Where do you have it tapped in to the Powerstroke intake?

Right in the center of the metal Y on top of the engine so it sprays equally towards both heads air intake.

2000 E-350 7.3, cooling mist Water injection 150psi pump & one 250cc injector nozzle, Smith bros chromoly pushrods, Swamp single-shot injectors, about 200,000+ miles on SVO so far...