BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Straight Vegetable Oil (SVO) as fuel  Hop To Forums  General SVO Discussion    man it's quiet on this board
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

man it's quiet on this board
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
I had to put my WVO driving on hold when I moved to Japan four years ago. I have checked the board from time to time and do notice that it isn't as lively as it used to be. Running WVO is illegal here so no WVO projects lately. It is a shame because there are so many great diesel powered vehicles here. I am driving a 1993 Mitsubishi Delica van with a 2.5L diesel and wish I could convert it. Even with it being illegal, there are still some folks that do it anyway. A couple years ago I smelled a truck go by that was running on WVO. I might be able to ship a diesel vehicle back when I return to the states in a few years, so we will see. I stripped off the WVO system on my GMC Suburban and sold the truck before I moved. It was running so well too ... What a shame. I hope to have the motivation to get running on WVO again.

posted Hide Post
anything over 25 years old you can ship over without problems. And you really should find something to ship over. It is much easier to ship from that end.

Robert
In Fort Lauderdale running a 2006 Jeep Liberty CRD 2 veg tanks HOH 2 upgraded greasecar vavles 3/8 fuel line 5/8 heater line HOH Hose wrapped filter. Injector Line heater on the Common Rail. 2nd car 2005 Mercedes CDI, Raw Power fuel pump, 36 gallon veg tank in trunk coolant heated HOH, rubber hose wrapped fuel filter, FPHE, 3 greasecar valves, Common rail line heater.

Location: Ft Lauderdale, FL | Registered: June 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Personally, I keep my oil settling in the cubies, then in a drum, at just above freezing, all winter, in a small shed. Then pump it through a 1 micron bag filter. That is it. I have been using that (Pump and Filter System) setup for about 3 years now, really like it. Easy as it gets. Grab the cubies from the restaurant, take home, stack, pour into drum through a mesh strainer.

I do the same thing, keeping simple can help. Oil moves from cubies thru 200 micron strainer, then warmed and pumped thru 1 or 2 micron filter, then it settles again in the clean barrel. No fussing and no time consumed.

My system is cheap and simple too.

Merk
03 Jetta TDI 12 gal marine tank in trunk w/copper heat exchanger no intank connections, coolant heated copper coiled fuel filter, HIH, 10 plate FPHE & two 3 port wvodesign fuel valves. Timer/relay purge.

Location: Etna, NH | Registered: January 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One of the best bits of advice I found on this forum re WVO is: Time. I gather oil in cubies and 5 gallon buckets and let them sit for at least a month. I then pour the oil that has separated from the sludge through a barrel screen into three 55 gallon drums, and let this sit for 2-4 weeks or more. It then gets pumped into a 275 gallon tote where it sits for another week or until it is needed in the next barrel. Pumped into that next barrel it sits until its needed in the final pump-out barrel. There is a sock filter between these last two barrels.
I have been doing this for 7 years and it works wonderfully. I do not have to heat the oil at any stage, but that's the price I pay for living in SoCal. 2 tank system in a 300SD, no HOH. I always add 10% Dino with every fill-up, and since I was given 200 gallons of RUG I have been throwing in a gallon of that every time too. I replace the Goldenrod screen 2-3 times a year when the car slows down to 45 on one of the freeway hills I drive on.

A question: Is there a way to make use of the sludge that gathers in the bottom of the first cubies/buckets? The oil is from fast-food restaurants that fry chicken and fries.
Thanks

posted Hide Post
I also use time on my side. The cubies sit and settle, sometimes for months until one per day goes through bugscreen and pantyhose filters into my upflow settling barrel. The overflow goes into a storage barrel where it sits until it's used. No heat, and I get clear clean dry UVO.

The sludge is mixed with sawdust and packed in milk cartons. The 'bricks' are burned in the woodstove to heat the house. If you don't need it for heat, then you can give it to pig or poultry farmers as a useful feed supplement.

Location: coldest N.America | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"I don't know of one, single solitary save the planet type from back when I started that is still doing veg fuel. "

Hey count me as one of those! :-) Just got back from the March in NYC.
I had a 'BioFuels' sign.
Although opinions were mixed:
http://climate-connections.org...LANGELLE-980x600.jpg
They've cut down a lot of rain forest in Malaysia for palm tree oil

I read a chart that listed green house gas impact by fuel type. WVO was still a fraction of the next best, electric. That's why I'm fixing the rusted floor of my '98 Jetta.

The horde is definitely gone. Elsbett is near out of business, although few know that there are 400+ veggie 'gas stations' in Germany. Her ein the USA, a lot of bad info, failed conversions and availability, and now the DPF's have killed it off.

Anyone know of any successful DPF or DEF conversions?
Looking at the new DEF Cruze or M-B.

I found a dozen or so 2005+ conversions in Germany:
http://www.rapsdb.de/view.php?...&sort=Baujahr&marke=
http://www.rapsdb.de/view.php?...&sort=Baujahr&marke=

I assume all these would have a DPF, but not sure. Many only running 20-40% VO.

1-tank Elsbett VW TDI , 220,000 WVO miles.
http://ctbiodzl.freeshell.org/votdi.html
and a '92 F-250 with only a FPHE

Location: Ct,USA | Registered: November 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I have seen lots of picture of a 2007 ML 320CDI which has the V-6 diesel. It required computer programing and removal of DPF. Technically illegal to drive on public highways. I emailed him how I set up my 2005 CDI he found the tuner and did the conversion we talked on the phone once. It was a good conversion with the second tank where the spare tire goes.

Robert
In Fort Lauderdale running a 2006 Jeep Liberty CRD 2 veg tanks HOH 2 upgraded greasecar vavles 3/8 fuel line 5/8 heater line HOH Hose wrapped filter. Injector Line heater on the Common Rail. 2nd car 2005 Mercedes CDI, Raw Power fuel pump, 36 gallon veg tank in trunk coolant heated HOH, rubber hose wrapped fuel filter, FPHE, 3 greasecar valves, Common rail line heater.

Location: Ft Lauderdale, FL | Registered: June 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post